Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pampas Grass

Options
  • 28-04-2010 5:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

My pampas grass is looking worse for wear and I was wondering whether it is okay to cut it right back now, I know it probably should have been done a few months ago before new growth started but to be honest it's not looking great at the moment. I've attached a picture of it. It's very big and I think there are rats or mice living in the base of it which is driving my dog nuts! I don't know how old the pampas is but size wise it's about 5 ft wide with about 7 ft spikes/flowers.

Any advise would be much appreciated.
    Tks.
    Deirdre

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

usually pampas is cut during the winter, primarily because its easier to prune when there is no new growth to contend with....at this stage it should be fine to cut back to around the new growth height (2ft)...but make sure you wear sturdy gloves and long sleeves because the leaves on a pampas are very sharp and can cut and irritate the skin.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I burnt mine off in winter when it is dormant, works well and no cuts!
    Mind you I live in the country not an estate!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 doglover1

Thanks a million, I'll give it go at the weekend, there is so much of it.

Advertisement