Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wisdom teeth, Insurance and whether its a Pre-existing Condition

Options
  • 28-04-2010 5:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭

Can people please shed some light on whether two lhorizontally impacted lower wisdom teeth (3rd Molars) are pre-existing, I have had health insurance cover for 3 years now.

How can a dentist/oral surgeon figure out how long they have been a problem.

Also I only found out there a problem because i am getting orthodontic treatment.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭day dreamer

Hi there

it shouldn't be a problem as when you took out the insurance you or your dentist/surgeon were unaware of the condition

Also the time limit before you can make a claim on a pre-exisiting conditions varies with age. It can be 2 years or 5 depending on how old you are. So you should be covered either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭rocksteady36

thanks for the reply, they said i have three of five years completed on my pre-existing time ie in two years it doesnt matter if something is pre existing, but does for next two years.

Pre-existing doesnt work the way your thinking. As far as i know, For example if i have a tumour, that doctors know was growing for over 3 years, and only found out now then i wouldnt be covered regardless if the doctor just nocited. It was exisitng before i got insurance and within the 5 year waiting period, of which i would only be in year three.

Or if you have some illness like epilepsy before you join insurance then your not covered until after 5 years for anything relating to that, so they are saying if it looks like your wisdom teeth are pre-existing its not covered, i am wondering how would you know with wisdom teeth?

If anyone wants to pm too, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

Jesus, insurance companies really make you jump through hoops?! Obviously you wouldn't be getting them out unless it was needed. Do they think its optional-boob job or liposuction!
    best of luck

Advertisement