Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Should I pay fine on UK rented car?

Options
  • 28-04-2010 4:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29

A few weeks ago I rented a car in the UK and unbeknownst to myself must have fallen foul of a speed camera, because yesterday I got a speeding fine in the post for doing 40mph in a 30mph area. It's only £60 but it's as good to me as to Her Majesty so I'm wondering should I pay it and if I don't, what are the likely consequences?

PS. Not that it's relevant, but Hertz, robbing b******s that they are, have already charged me £35 for passing my details on to the police. :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Pay, as hertz may debt your card and charge you another admin fee

• Registered Users Posts: 51,124 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I'd just pay it otherwise if you ever plan to go back to the UK there might be bother for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Winty

Your better off just paying the dame thing, it may raise its ugly head again and with interest, court costs and fines it could cost you 10 times more

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

Other thing to note is that you may not get to rent a car from hertz again if you dont pay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 The Nightfly

Thanks for all the advice, think I'll pay up.

I don't mind tbh, it's a fair cop. What really bugs me is Hertz charging me £35 for something that probably took them all of two minutes to do. That, and knowing they have my credit card details and can seemingly apply whatever charges they feel like and I can't do a thing about it.

• Advertisement

I report my card lost and get a new one before Id give hertz the satisfaction of paying the fine after they charging me £35 admin fee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Fishtits

Why don't you read the terms etc of your rental agreement with Hertz before you do anything?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 The Nightfly

Fishtits wrote: »
    Why don't you read the terms etc of your rental agreement with Hertz before you do anything?

I didn't keep it but this has to be a common scenario so I'm sure it's covered. I don't mind paying the fine, it's the Hertz administration charge and the high-handed way they deal with it that's annoying me.

I'm sure their corporate ass is well covered in the rental agreement but that doesn't make it right. It just bugs me that big corporations can get away with treating their customers in a way that would put a guy in a corner shop out of business.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Just pay it, if it's not paid within 28 days it increases by 50%, going up to 90GBP

It well then go to a bailiff company who will try and trace you, although they have no power to execute there warrants over here (Bailiff company will prob be looking in the region of 250 to clear the fine!!)

As the bailiff company won't be able to get it paid it will be returned to the courts and reduced back down to 90, then an arrest warrant could be issued.

Also ask Hertz for details of what court has issued the fine and then deal with them direct, don't go through Hertz

• Registered Users Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Thanks for all the advice, think I'll pay up.

I don't mind tbh, it's a fair cop. What really bugs me is Hertz charging me £35 for something that probably took them all of two minutes to do. That, and knowing they have my credit card details and can seemingly apply whatever charges they feel like and I can't do a thing about it.

You can do a thing about it. You can apply to your bank for a chargeback. Hertz would need to provide proof of the speeding offence and they should contact you about it and gain your authorisation before applying any charge to your card. But then again, if you were speeding then just pay up to avoid all the hassle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Gallant_JJ

scudzilla wrote: »
    Just pay it, if it's not paid within 28 days it increases by 50%, going up to 90GBP

It well then go to a bailiff company who will try and trace you, although they have no power to execute there warrants over here (Bailiff company will prob be looking in the region of 250 to clear the fine!!)

As the bailiff company won't be able to get it paid it will be returned to the courts and reduced back down to 90, then an arrest warrant could be issued.

Also ask Hertz for details of what court has issued the fine and then deal with them direct, don't go through Hertz

Don't think an arrest warrant can be issued, they have no way of issuing you with a summons in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

A few weeks ago I rented a car in the UK and unbeknownst to myself must have fallen foul of a speed camera, because yesterday I got a speeding fine in the post for doing 40mph in a 30mph area. It's only £60 but it's as good to me as to Her Majesty so I'm wondering should I pay it and if I don't, what are the likely consequences?

PS. Not that it's relevant, but Hertz, robbing b******s that they are, have already charged me £35 for passing my details on to the police. :mad:

Wierd that you'd not notice it, getting flashed by a Gatso is like getting a mini suntan.

Advertisement