Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TCD LLM reading list??

Options
  • 28-04-2010 4:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hi, I'm doing the LLM from September and I'd love to get my hands on the recommended reading list for (any of) the following subjects:

advanced eu law
    african human rights
    comparative civil rights
    EC environmental law
    eu human rights law
    globalisation & law
    medicine and the law

If anybody has a comment to make about any of the above modules or in fact any other module, I'd love to read it.

Thanks for your help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Why'd you want to get the reading list this early?

I'm doing the LL.M but haven't done any of those subjects. Friends of mine have done most of those subjects though if you really want then reading lists - the only thing is that most of them will be hardcopy

I took the more 'commercial route' than the 'rights' one:

Corporate Insolvency
    EU Competition Law
    Sports Business Law
    EU IP Law
    Internet Law
    Corporate Governance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Ivett

I was planning on the "commercial route" as well last year, but what a difference a year of deferring makes! :)
    I'm quite bored right now and hence I'm looking for the reading list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 OWH

Hi Ivett, just wondering how the LLM went for you? I'm starting this September and would be interested in your thoughts on the course/modules etc...

Hi, I am doing it this year as well, as in 2010/11 so I can't really say much about it.

Sorry, it always pays to check when these things have been posted!...did you have any luck with the reading lists?

• Advertisement

No luck with the reading list, got no suggestions. But the list of available subjects has changed so much since last year that my preference of modules has changed completely so it doesn't really matter. What modules are you interested in taking?

I'm thinking it's probably best to do modules you that're genuinely interested in instead of trying to second guess what's turned out to be a fairly unreliable market...so while my creditors might want me to learn a little bit about the Principles of Corporate Insolvency, I'm much more interested in Comparative Civil Rts; Crim Just; Jud Rev and H Rts; Freedom of Express; and two of either Medicine and the Law and Indian or African H rts. How about you?

I agree. I have no intention of working in or having much to do with law, so I'm just gonna take what I'm interested in, it being african human rights, comparative civil rights, int. criminal law, eu human rights, literature & law, and globalisation or medicine. I suppose the final decision will have to depend on the final version of the timetable. But I just wish they released the academic calendar now.

I think its due out fairly soon...August sometime...

Ah good, thanks. I hope you'll be happy with your modules.

• Advertisement

You too...and if you get any inside info on reading lists etc...give me a shout...

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭manicmonoliths

Just as a matter of interest, are candidates who have not done Law as their undergraduate degree strongly considered for admission onto the LLM? The Law School website says they are but I'd wonder how accurate that is. Would someone with say an Economics degree be seriously considered?

I think you have to hold a law or law based undergraduate degree...

OWH wrote: »
    I think you have to hold a law or law based undergraduate degree...

Not exactly, there were a few in my class that hadn't a law background, albeit coming from TCD anyway

Have you done the LLM?

OWH wrote: »
    Have you done the LLM?

Nearly finished! Dissertation due in in a few weeks :D

Cool...best of luck with it...how did you find the course? Which modules did you do?

Thanks!

I thought the course was good, found that some of the exams were very similar to previous years but then again, maybe I was just lucky in what I chose to focus on. Made loads of new friends and had plenty of parties and nights out as well. Really good year in all!

I studied:

Sports Business Law
    Corporate Insolvency & Rescue
    EU Competition Law

EU Intellectual Property Law
    Internet Law & Regulation
    Corporate Governance

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭LutherBlissett

What is the entry threshold for the TCD LLM? Im going to presume a 2.1 is a prereq...but percentage wise, do they make any specifications?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Shiny mcShine

I got my offer on condition that i got a bare 2:1, though I imagine it'd depend on the demand from year to year and what not. I wouldn't worry too much about it though!

• Advertisement

What is the entry threshold for the TCD LLM? Im going to presume a 2.1 is a prereq...but percentage wise, do they make any specifications?

Haven't a clue TBH. I thought it was fairly easy to get into but our year was told there was 450+ applications and only 120 places (up from around 80-90 the previous year) so obviously they had to differentiate somewhere.

Whether it was purely based on grades, I don't know. I can't imagine that they would bring it down to bare percentages.

I didn't realize it was that competitive...seems obvious that the economic meltdown has led to loads of aspiring sols/barristers postponing putting off entry to the professions for a year by applying for the LLM, who can blame them? How did you find the Insolvency module? Found all that Company law stuff hard going at undergraduate level...and thanks for taking the time to answer all these questions!...

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭keano007

Hi guys,

I'm interested in doing the LLM and was wondering do any of the people who have posted on this thread have any idea what the timetable is like?

I want to assess if it would be possible for me to do it while continuing to work full time? (Work is flexible....)

(Mods - Sorry for posting in an old thread but couldn't find anything in the search)

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭ravingitup

I have heard from acquaintances on the LLM that the hours are quite short per week (9-10 hours of lectures) but perhaps I'm misinformed. It would be useful if somebody on here could clarify if possible?

I too, am thinking of doing the LLM in September with a part-time job so like keano007, I'd be interested in hearing from any past or current students about the hours.

Advertisement