Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maintenance grant eligibility

Options
  • 28-04-2010 3:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

I have applied for two post-graduate courses and I wonder if I am eligible for a local authority grant. I've checked all the criteria and the only thing I'm uncertain about is I previously did a postgraduate course which I failed a year ago. I paid for this myself without any grants as I wasn't eligible and didn't apply. Will this affect my eligibility for a grant now? In every other respect I qualify for the highest level of maintenance grant.

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭jano1

You are not entitled to a maintenance grant for repeating a year or doing a new course at the same level whether you got a grant for it the first time or not. Did you pay tuition fees?

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭corroonb

jano1 wrote: »
    You are not entitled to a maintenance grant for repeating a year or doing a new course at the same level whether you got a grant for it the first time or not. Did you pay tuition fees?

Yes, I paid fees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

jano1 wrote: »

I dont think thats accurate. I have a friend in college who was in a similiar situation, and he didn't think he would be entitled to the grant this year.

He applied, and recieved the full non adjacent rate including his fee's for this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭jano1

I looked up studentfinance.ie and rang the Dept Ed regarding this and was told that unless you are a 'second chance' student who is out of 3rd level for more than 5 years you have to pay fees for repeating a year. Dept Ed told me that the only exception is where a student missed a significant amount of time due to certified illness and repeats the year in the same college and on the same course and the college itself agrees to waive the fees:

"With the exception of second chance students, tuition fees are not paid by the State in respect of students who are repeating a year of study, having failed their end of year exams or as a result of changing courses. The repeat fees are payable by the student. This exclusion may be waived, at the discretion of the college, where a student has to repeat a year due to certified serious illness. In such cases, the college will request documentary evidence that the student’s failure was as a direct result of his/her illness."

Did any of this apply to your friend or maybe they did not disclose that they had already attended the same year/level? Corroonb was in college last year. If there is something that the rest of us are missing please let us know!!

Advertisement