Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going public in Galway (first timer)

Options
  • 28-04-2010 3:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭

Hi im due to have my first hospital scan soon i will be 20 weeks then, (ive already had a heartbeat check in my doctors) Im just wondering has anyone any advice on what to expect for a first timer im clueless!
    any help would be great! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 HappyDays2010

Hiya,

I'm going public in galway and going for my 1st hospital appt soon as well.

My friend told me you get your scan done 1st, then you've to wait to see the midwife. They'll check blood pressure, weight things like that, then ask loads of questions about yours and your partners parents and if anyone in the family have any previous conditions (heart attacks etc). Then you get blood tests. She said altogether youre there for about 3 hours.

Are you due in September? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Gal44

Great thanks for that :D I'l be a bit more prepared for my visit so,
    Do you know how many scans you get? i heard its just the one.

Im due in October :)

I've heard its just the 1 scan as well, but sometimes they'll do 2.

you should book your ante-natal classes now for September, they get very booked up. I've mine booked for August and when I rang they asked if I wanted to do an early pregnancy class as well. I did it today, its very interesting. A midwife, physio and dietician spoke to us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Aspoonfull

Hello Ladies,
    Just stumbled across this question and delighted as I was going to ask it myself. Also a first timer, due in october and have my first hospital visit in Galway next week. Always a little nervous around hospitals so at least now I know a little of what to expect....thanks and best of luck :-)

Hiya :)

I've my hospital appt on thurs, so I'll come back on Fri and let you know what its like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭RuthieRose

Hi Ladies.
    UCHG is fantastic. I'm a first timer too now at 31 weeks and I have to say that the midwives in there are simply amazing. They are so nice and friendly. As soon as they find out your a first timer thay will go into a little more detail.
    The first time you go in you get the works. All the tests from height to urine (have a sample with you). They are so nice and take their time with you. They also go through your medical history and your partners. They will also do an ultrasound and go into detail on what they are looking at and why. You'll get some photos too!!!
    I can't speak highly enough of them. I am doing the parent craft class and we got to see the Labour room (one of 8 I think) and we got to ask loads of questions.
    Tip: Bring a book or magazine as you could be waiting for a little while but not too long.
    If you do the midwives programme thing you could be going home with your bundle the next day!!
    Best of Luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Aspoonfull

Thanks for those details ruthierose, makes me feel a little more prepared for my first visit later this week. Good tip too on having a urine sample with you, didnt even think of that :-)

Hiya
    Great thanks for all that info! Booking the ante-natal classes now i didnt think of that! must look into that thanks and having a urine sample with you good thinking! all this information is great :)

HappyDays2010 Good luck on Thursday!! :D

Hi im just wondering will they tell you the sex of the baby at your 20 week scan? is it clear enough.. im still undecided if i want to know yet though! :D

Thanks

Advertisement