Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Multiple streamers - is this possible?

Options
  • 28-04-2010 2:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭

I'm new to the whole home network game and I'd appreciate some advice as to whether the following scenario is possible or not.

I want to use a NAS drive as a media hub and place it in a room at the top of my house. I already have CAT5e cables from various rooms (9 in total) all coming back to this point. Can I connect the NAS drive to a gigabit switch and then stream media to multiple WD HD Live media streamers so that different people can play different media from the NAS drive in any room?

Is this feasible or not? On a side note, I presume it's not possible to connect a Freesat HD box (such as this one) to the NAS drive and then watch the recorded content in any room through the WD HD Live media streamer?

Thanks for reading and I look forward to your advice and comments.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

silverwood wrote: »
    Can I connect the NAS drive to a gigabit switch and then stream media to multiple WD HD Live media streamers so that different people can play different media from the NAS drive in any room?
    Yes, this is definitely possible. you will have to make sure the NAS has enough processing power to fulfil the streaming requirements that you have, for example 9 clients streaming 1080p blu-ray simultaneously is a lot greater than 2 clients streaming music.
    On a side note, I presume it's not possible to connect a Freesat HD box (such as this one) to the NAS drive and then watch the recorded content in any room through the WD HD Live media streamer?

I don't know enough about these devices, but if you download the instruction manual it should give you a description of how to use all the features.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭MediaTank

Is this feasible or not? On a side note, I presume it's not possible to connect a Freesat HD box (such as this one) to the NAS drive and then watch the recorded content in any room through the WD HD Live media streamer?

Yes, but not with that model. You need a networked satellite receiver such as Dreambox to do that. These devices usually record in MPEG 2 TS format. So as long as the media player can play back .TS files you're all set.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭silverwood

Thanks for replying. Some good advice there, appreciate it!

Advertisement