Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying a used car - 6.5k max budget

Options
  • 28-04-2010 2:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭

I posted on here a couple of days ago and got some great advice, I now know what I have to spend and a little more about what I need so would appreciate more opinions!

I have until the end of May to pick out a new used car for myself. At the end of May my current car will be going to a new home! I have an absolute maximum of 6.5K to spend - would prefer to spend more like 6k. My main priorities are that it be very reliable and economical, after that :confused:

Car type: no idea about brand (that's where I need your help), has to be a 5-door
    Engine: Max 1.3L
    Age: 06 or thereabouts (want this car to last me as many years as possible with as little maintenance as possible - my mileage is tiny!)
    Mileage: nothing too massive

I really need ideas about the best things to go for in that price range. I had my eye on a couple of ford fiestas on carzone but they are already sold. The rest are out of my price-range. So after that I'm really unsure. Thanks in advance! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭runrabbit

Lovely car - and though over my budget seems like very good value (I didn't think I'd be able to afford anything near an Astra - I love them!). I doubt i'd be able to knock €500 off it though and I'm already stretching to €6.5K :(

I have some concerns re. private sellers versus dealers, any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

runrabbit wrote: »
    Lovely car - and though over my budget seems like very good value (I didn't think I'd be able to afford anything near an Astra - I love them!). I doubt i'd be able to knock €500 off it though and I'm already stretching to €6.5K :(

I have some concerns re. private sellers versus dealers, any thoughts?

you should be able to knock of 500 and maybe a touch more....

its abuyers market at the moment... dont be afraid to haggle....
    99% of ads on carzone imo have a buffer zone built in for haggling......

private sale is fine, and am sure numerous boardies here can vouch private sales...

just do your homework, full motor check, get a mechanic to look it over, check and ASK about any damages or known issues,
    check service history.....
    and you should be fine.....

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭runrabbit

What do people make of the Suzuki Ignis. I've spotted a very low mileage one at a reasonable price at my local garage, it's where I've been getting my car serviced for years so I do trust the guys.

I've only seen it online and it looks a bit ugly... kinda like a cross between an estate and an SUV. I'd probably have to get a look at it in person to make a proper judgement, I can't picture what size it is!

Advertisement