Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is best way to record from TV for use on my website

Options
  • 28-04-2010 2:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17 amroche

Our new business will feature on TV in the coming months, I want to record the program and up load it onto our website. I'll be able to get the entire programme from Vimeo which is where the Production Company will post it. But I am only interested in the part of the program where we feature ie 5 minutes not the whole 27mins of the programme:

1) What is the best/most professional way to record the programme
    2) How do/can I then edit it to just show our few minutes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

It depends.... I wouold use Sky+ to record it so its 'backed up' and then record it onto my PC using my HD PVR and then just edit it in Sony Vegas (or a similar editing programme, Windows Movie Maker would do)

This is pretty costly to setup just for 5 minutes though.

You could also use a DVD recorder if you had one, then just edit the DVD on the PC in the same way I mentioned above

• Registered Users Posts: 17 amroche

Hi dont have SKY plus and DVD recorder is broken, so if I have to make the investment a new DVD recorder would possibly be the cheapest way to go while still giving me the quality?

A

It's depends entirely on your budget... just shop around for a dvd recorder and once its recorded it should be as easy as taking it from the DVD and putting it on the PC

• Registered Users Posts: 17 amroche

Thanks and then will it be pretty straight forward to edit the recording using Microsoft Movie Maker?

A

to be honest with you, I am sure plenty of people on here could do it for you, and would do it for less than the cost of a DVD recorder.

You say you can get the entire program from the producers, I would work off that instead, cut the part before and after in any video editing software.

Its actually a very easy task.

• Advertisement

Hmmm, I must have missread the OP... That is true, you can download the video from Vimeo and jsut edit it in WMM without needing to buy anything

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

This may seem obvious but why don't you just ask the production company to give you a DVD or file with just your snippet?

You will also need their written permission to use their footage on your website or they may decide to claim against you for copyright infringement.

Remember, just because the footage is about you or your company does not mean you have any rights to it or how it's used.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭NealB

The company that shot the video should do the decent thing and send you the clip featuring your company. You should have made that deal before opening your doors to them, once a job is done production companies roll into another production and shelve the last one. During the final edit it would have only taken a couple of minutes for them to export your clip, compress it and burn it to a disk for you. Now it will take them thirty minutes, my advise guilt them into it.

Advertisement