Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Help me pick a car!

Options
  • 28-04-2010 1:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭

Hoping to buy in the next few weeks.

Budget is €5k, if it's something special then I don't mind spending €6k(it would want to be mint though).

What I want are the following:

- handling/steering, it's not a runner if it doesn't handle and have nice weighty steering with plenty of feedback. It's by far the most important thing for me.
    - decent gearshift, I am sick of driving cars with gearboxes that are notcy and baulk when you try to change gear. Also an important requirement.
    - I need a bit of power as I surf and sometimes have 4 boards on the roof plus 3/4 passengers, I don't really fancy having the car in 3rd gear at 100 kph because the car is too underpowered:)
    - some sort of practicality would be an advantage(see previous reason)
    - a nice interior would be a bonus (good seats are essential) and decent spec are essential; a/c, alloys, trip computer are essential, while leather, climate control and an autodimming rear view mirror would be bonuses(especially leather, it's so much easier with the surfing etc but I know I'm ruling out a lot of cars if I insist on leather)
    - reliability and low running costs are important too, however I don't mind spending well under my budget and using some of that money on looking after the car. I don't mind low fuel consumption since I don't drive a lot anyway so it doesn't really make much of a difference either way, what I don't want is to be forking out for a blown HG or a new ECU or a new ABS module etc.

Nothing bigger than a 2l engine please either, too young to be able to afford the crazy insurance rates that I'll no doubt be charged.

Not important:

- age/mileage/county on the reg plate etc
    - not bothered by noise(roof bars make a racket at speed no matter what the car is), comfort(bar good seats), poor ride quality, quietness etc, I want smiles per gallon:D
    - don't care about the badge on the bonnet either, I'm a believer of substance over snobbery!

I don't want diesel, Jap cars associated with the boy racer fraternity, or anything French(reliability and because the last time I remember them being praised for making an ordinary car drive well was the Peugeot 406) or Italian(don't have the time to be mammying an Alfa and I don't like Fiats).

If someone can demonstrate why my predjudices are wrong then please do, I am open to suggestions, I will consider everything because I really don't know what I want just yet:)!

PS: if you suggest a Skoda Octavia than I will find out where you live and set your house on fire:)!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

• Registered Users Posts: 23,286 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Subaru legacy?

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭STForSale

Sounds like ideal hot hatch territory.
    Shamless plug:
    http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=182464.
    MKIV golf Gti (1.8 turbo not that 2.0 NA one):
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/Volkswagen/Golf-GTi/180bhp--/201015197649960/advert?channel=CARS
    Always like the leon cupra:
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1283919

Just read the cheap insurance bit........

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Be honest, you actually started with a BMW 318 and made up those requirements to eliminate everything else, right?

• Advertisement

Be honest, you actually started with a BMW 318 and made up those requirements to eliminate everything else, right?
    Everything bar the nice interior anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

He said he needed a bit of power, so I'd say no! :)
    OP, you'd be surprised at how easy it is to insure a 325i or 525i. That's where I'd be looking.
    Or a nice Legacy!

Why does everyone assume estate when he mentioned a surf board?
    I've seen them on the roof of A3's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭no1beemerfan

STForSale wrote: »
    Why does everyone assume estate when he mentioned a surf board?
    I've seen them on the roof of A3's.

Its not for the boards. With three or four guys/gals there is gonna be a lot of other stuff needing to go somewhere!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

robtri wrote: »

That's a nice car and I certainly wouldn't even have considered an E46 but that one is above my budget unfortunately, I should have mentioned it in my OP but I don't want an estate as surf boards still need to be carried on a roof rack in estates and I have no need for the added practicality.
    mickdw wrote: »
    Subaru legacy?

Aren't these very expensive to run? I'm sure they are nice cars but looking at the prices all I'd be able to afford is a fairly old one and it's boy racers around where I live that have them, so it's out on that grounds as well.
    Sounds like ideal hot hatch territory.

That's a really nice ST you've got there, good spec as well which is a rarity in this country, pity it's well beyond my budget. I think the insurers would have a big laugh at me if I rang them looking for a quote in any of those cars to be honest, I won't be 25 for another bit yet(hence my desire for something relatively inexpensive to insure).

The Focus has really taken my fancy though, I don't know if the 1.6 would be able for what I want it to do though, and I don't think there are too many 1.8s around.
    bazz26 wrote: »

Don't 9-5's have issues with oil sludge?

I'm liking the S60 suggestion though, but what's the S60 like in terms of handling/steering feedback?

I would have thought being a Volvo driving dynamics wouldn't be a strong point. Have driven an old model S40 before extensively and I really liked it, I have a real soft spot for Volvos and would love to be back behind the wheel of one again. I like the safety, interior, superb seats and the fact they are slightly left field. I especially like the way they are so cheap secondhand! However, I remember that the S40 was a very sloppy car in the bends though, it runs wide far too easily and it just doesn't feel very dynamic, I don't like the gearbox in them either.

Is the S60 a better car to drive than the S40?

That shape 5 series is one of the few BMW's that I really, really like.

I have wanted one of those since I first went in one back in 1997, it is an incredible car to be driven in and it's meant to be a fantastic car to drive as well.

I know if I drove one that my heart would implore me to buy one there and then.

My head is very worried about the reliability of these cars though. Are there not issues with pixels on the dash going, heating/cooling and other electrical issues not to mention overheating and of course the suspension?
    Tea 1000 wrote: »
    OP, you'd be surprised at how easy it is to insure a 325i or 525i. That's where I'd be looking.

Even if you're under 25:)? I hadn't considered BMW because I don't want a 4 cylinder one(although I would consider a 2.0 318i, these have 143 hp which seems pretty good) and I would have thought that the bigger engined ones would be way beyond my league for insurance purposes(I don't mind paying the extra tax that much, it's the insurance that makes me want to stay under 2 litres).

Anyway, thanks to everyone who has contributed so far, there are some very good suggestions, including a few I hadn't thought of. Keep them coming:)!

I'm not really interested in specific cars just yet(but thanks for the suggestions), what I really want to know is what car would suit me best, there are so many cars I'm thinking of I'm trying to narrow things down before I go and buy something.

What I'm really looking for are the strengths and weaknesses of various cars that match as much of my extensive criteria as possible, and what the main problem areas with the various cars are.

If you can't insure the 2.0ST, try looking for a 04 1.6 zetec.
    Neighbour had one, fogs, sunroof, a/c and 6 cd changer.
    Very well spec'd car for small money.
    Think he let it for for €3,600.
    Think the 1.8 was UK only so prob a few imports about.

Something like this without the big miles:
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1266575
    Or this one at about a grand less.
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1234228

I'm fully comp for €600, might be worth a phone call, Oh and I'm taking offers (",)

If you can't insure the 2.0ST, try looking for a 04 1.6 zetec.

Don't know if I can get insured on an ST yet, I'm not ready to buy yet, I'm more looking for opinions on various cars at this stage!

So far I have the following contenders, based on what you and others have said:

- BMW 3 series(E46) either a 2.0 318i or else a 320i
    - BMW 520i
    - Ford Focus(at least a 1.6, a 1.8 if there's any around; ideally a Zetec with a/c and a trip computer but I think most of these have neither or else a Ghia but I don't like the fake wood on that and the Zetec would be better to drive because of the Sports suspension)
    - Volvo S60(2.0T).

Anything else?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Skoda Octavia??

I'm sorry, I had to! I'll get me coat...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Skoda Octavia??

I'm sorry, I had to! I'll get me coat...
    I was just thinking Octavia :rolleyes:

My 1993 520i touring would be perfect for you :) You'd get a late 90s one for €5000 no bother.

Even if you're under 25:)? I hadn't considered BMW because I don't want a 4 cylinder one(although I would consider a 2.0 318i, these have 143 hp which seems pretty good) and I would have thought that the bigger engined ones would be way beyond my league for insurance purposes(I don't mind paying the extra tax that much, it's the insurance that makes me want to stay under 2 litres).

Anyway, thanks to everyone who has contributed so far, there are some very good suggestions, including a few I hadn't thought of. Keep them coming:)!

I'm not really interested in specific cars just yet(but thanks for the suggestions), what I really want to know is what car would suit me best, there are so many cars I'm thinking of I'm trying to narrow things down before I go and buy something.

What I'm really looking for are the strengths and weaknesses of various cars that match as much of my extensive criteria as possible, and what the main problem areas with the various cars are.
    Yep, even under 25 you'll have a good chance of getting a reasonable quote. Get quotes anyway, don't just assume. You'll miss out big time if you assume.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Max Power1 wrote: »
    I was just thinking Octavia :rolleyes:

Well it is probably THE most suggested answer! Example:

OP:

I've just found out our dog ate the face off my wife and that a I've lost my job. Any suggestions as to what I should do?

Post #2:

Skoda Octavia :D

Tea 1000 wrote: »
    Yep, even under 25 you'll have a good chance of getting a reasonable quote. Get quotes anyway, don't just assume. You'll miss out big time if you assume.

Hmmm, that makes me very interested in a 6 cylinder BMW:D. I hate most of the newer ones but the E34 and E39 5 series are great cars to be driven in, and being old BMWs I'm sure they live up to the UDM tagline.

I love the look of an E46 Coupe with decent wheels and clear indicator lenses. A saloon is probably more practical though, but I don't see too many 6 cylinder saloons around the place.

What's the reliability of these cars like?

I like the E34 type but I don't think they would be reliable enough, the newest ones are 14 years old now. I genuinely would consider a mint one though but I'd imagine they are rarer than hen's teeth.

The E39 5 series is an unreal car but I'm terrified by the potential for things to go wrong. I don't really want to be splashing out on a new suspension or paying to get the dsah clocks changed because the pixels have faded. Then there is the Nikasil problem so I couldn't realistically go for anything before 2000.

I've heard that these need cooling system rebuilds after 100,000 miles as well otherwise they will overheat. That can't be cheap.

The E46 would appear to be the best of the lot for reliability, but I think there are issues with these as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭DVD2009

octavia vrs ...sporty , practical and its a VW.

• Advertisement

Hmmm, that makes me very interested in a 6 cylinder BMW:D. I hate most of the newer ones but the E34 and E39 5 series are great cars to be driven in, and being old BMWs I'm sure they live up to the UDM tagline.

I love the look of an E46 Coupe with decent wheels and clear indicator lenses. A saloon is probably more practical though, but I don't see too many 6 cylinder saloons around the place.

What's the reliability of these cars like?

I like the E34 type but I don't think they would be reliable enough, the newest ones are 14 years old now. I genuinely would consider a mint one though but I'd imagine they are rarer than hen's teeth.

The E39 5 series is an unreal car but I'm terrified by the potential for things to go wrong. I don't really want to be splashing out on a new suspension or paying to get the dsah clocks changed because the pixels have faded. Then there is the Nikasil problem so I couldn't realistically go for anything before 2000.

I've heard that these need cooling system rebuilds after 100,000 miles as well otherwise they will overheat. That can't be cheap.

The E46 would appear to be the best of the lot for reliability, but I think there are issues with these as well.
    The E39's aren't unreliable. The problem seems to be that there are well documented lists on what may need replacing and may need looking out for on these models due to the high number of enthusiast buyers, so it gives the illusion that there may be more issues than with any other car, but that's not the case. If you buy right, you'll get a long time out of one trouble free. The 6 cylinder models are very reliable. Suspension on all cars can start to wear out at around the 100k miles, depending on its history, but most Irish people don't bother doing anything with it until either a corner of the car breaks off or the NCT tells them to.
    The biggest problem with suspension on the E39 is that it's alluminium, which means when it does need replacing it's quite pricey. It's just something to look out for when buying, any knocks or rattles or odd vibrations in the steering. You can get an E39 for around 2 grand, but to find an absolute peach you're looking at around 5k. Some might think you're bonkers spending 5k on a 10 year old car when their mate got one for 1100, but in reality a mint low-mileage full history 5-series for 5k is actually an excellent value car that'll need no work for years.
    The over-heating thing - the problem with this is that if it over-heats, because the block is aluminium it kind of goes all out of shape and that's it for the engine. So the key is to watch the needle when test driving. If it's running at normal temp, you're fine. If during your ownership the needle ever does rise, stop driving it and get it towed. I haven't heard of anyone who had over heating issues though.
    Nikasil problems - there's a list of engines that had these, but even if the engine is on the list, if it's had the work done it should be fine.
    And the pixel issue, just when buying look for dead pixels on the screen. if there's none, you're fine.
    E34's are mechanically simpler than E39's, and a good one of those could last a long time! Rare find, but they are there.
    I reckon in any case a trip to the UK is in order. Late model 523i's are plentiful and can be a good buy. 525i manuals are a little harder to find. 520i's with the newer 2.2 6-pot are very plentiful, and you should have no bother picking up a mint one in the UK.

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1675641.htm
    http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1545671.htm
    Couple of E34's there as an example of what you may find.
    Take your time choosing, there's plenty out there and every so often a peach comes up at a good price.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 BGTI

2001, Mk4 GTI, 1.8, 150 bhp, FSH, 74k miles, Grey, 5 Door, 3 owners, genuine, spotless car. NCT Jan 11. open to offers.

Excellent advice there Tea 1000, thanks very much for that.

So if I find a good one I've no reason to fear it going wrong, lovely stuff:D.

Finding a good one in Ireland will be some challenge, I should probably head over to BMW Driver - I'd gladly pay the extra for a good one(within reason obviously).

What issues are there with an E46 and how do they compare in terms of running costs to an E39?

Are they a better car to drive than the E39? I don't really need the extra space of a 5 series tbh, it's just the E39 5 series is a car I've always wanted since I went in one over 13 years ago. I've heard E46s don't drive terribly well until 2001(I remember What Car saying they were very soft when they came out and didn't drive like a BMW should), any truth in that?

Advertisement