Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bank opening times

Options
  • 28-04-2010 12:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭

Its crazy that banks are not open mon-fri from 8am to 9pm and 9am to 4pm on a saturday:mad: Was going to use my local branch this morning before my partner informed me that they do not open on a wednesday:eek:

It should have been made a condition as part of this NAMA scandal:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

Its crazy that banks are not open mon-fri from 8am to 9pm and 9am to 4pm on a saturday:mad: Was going to use my local branch this morning before my partner informed me that they do not open on a wednesday:eek:

It should have been made a condition as part of this NAMA scandal:(

So you want to hire more staff so the bank can be open more hours - which would cost more money - and in the same statement you're giving out because they cost us so much through the NAMA process? Hmmm.. interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

jameshayes wrote: »
    So you want to hire more staff so the bank can be open more hours - which would cost more money - and in the same statement you're giving out because they cost us so much through the NAMA process? Hmmm.. interesting.

Im pretty sure the money needed to open more hours would be peanuts compared to Nama money.

The point im trying to make is about bank opening times. Its ridiculous that they are not open to accommodate the public at more convenient hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭gaz wac

but thats why they have on-line banking?

gaz wac wrote: »
    but thats why they have on-line banking?

Oh dear god, Can I convert currency with online banking:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭gaz wac

no! but in fairness are you saying you cant get to a bank between 10am - 5pm Mon - Fri !!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭talla10

i agree totally banks should be open outside normal business hours and from 9-4 on a saturday to convienence its customers and im pretty sure it would piss off a lot of bankers having to work longer hours and saturdays which is always a bonus :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

talla10 wrote: »
    i agree totally banks should be open outside normal business hours and from 9-4 on a saturday to convienence its customers and im pretty sure it would piss off a lot of bankers having to work longer hours and saturdays which is always a bonus :pac:

Do you actually think the people manning the cashier desks and answering the phones are the "bankers" that helped cause the mess we're in?

Even if the banks were open on a Saturday the top level staff wouldnt be working any longer hours.

Come to think of it neither would the lower level staff, they'd just have a different schedule. And unless more staff were hired it could lead to a reduction in services as existing staff levels were stretched to fit the new 6 day working week.

no! but in fairness are you saying you cant get to a bank between 10am - 5pm Mon - Fri !!!

I work shift, so no, its not always handy to pop into a bank.
    As far as I can tell the only people that would be against longer opening times are people that work in banks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭talla10

amcalester wrote: »
    Do you actually think the people manning the cashier desks and answering the phones are the "bankers" that helped cause the mess we're in?

Even if the banks were open on a Saturday the top level staff wouldnt be working any longer hours.

no i dont think that was jokin hence the :pac:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Im pretty sure the money needed to open more hours would be peanuts compared to Nama money.

Perhaps, but the simple fact is that the cost of doing so outweighs the benefits brought in. I know AIB trialled opening a few branches on Saturday mornings and until 7 on some evenings in the week a few years back. The branches were like ghost towns - but overheads still had to be paid.

To roll out such a thing across a branch network would end up costing more: and who pays that? The customer - that would be us. And then we'd be complaining about the increased fees, higher interest rates etc - so it's a bit of a no win situation, really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,104 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

BuffyBot wrote: »
    Perhaps, but the simple fact is that the cost of doing so outweighs the benefits brought in. I know AIB trialled opening a few branches on Saturday mornings and until 7 on some evenings in the week a few years back. The branches were like ghost towns - but overheads still had to be paid.

I know someone who worked in one of those AIB branches that opened evenings and weekends a few years. He said the place was empty in the evenings and weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

I can't do that without taking a half day. A lot of people work from 9-5:30 with nowhere handy to run to during lunch time.
    namloc1980 wrote: »
    I know someone who worked in one of those AIB branches that opened evenings and weekends a few years. He said the place was empty in the evenings and weekends.
    I'm an AIB customer, and I have to say I never heard about this. They seem to manage to send me bits of paper at least once a week - maybe if they'd included a "BTW, X branch will be open on Saturday mornings" notice it might have helped. If they only put notices in those particular branches it wouldn't do much to tell the people who can't make it during normal banking hours.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

namloc1980 wrote: »

Did people really know about the extended hours? And surely saturday opening would be more suited to more people, even till lunchtime saturday.

I used one of the aib branches with extended hours and remember something about no cash transactions. So if you wanted to get currency you couldn't. Only express lodgements and the likes with made the whole thing pointless imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

I have had an account with AIB for c10 years now. I think I've been in my home branch about 5 times. With respect the vast majority of transactions can be done without even walking into a branch. Foreign exchange can be even got at the airport before you leave!!!!

I'm afraid the sort of transactions you'd get in to a branch on a Saturday would be cash lodgements / withdrawals and chq lodgements which actually cost the bank money.

I'm sure if customers are happy with an increase in bank fees they would consider it. And you might want to also consider the experience of Halifax as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭emanresu

Its crazy that banks are not open mon-fri from 8am to 9pm and 9am to 4pm on a saturday

I doubt that there is any country in the world where banks have opening hours like that, except maybe in airport branches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

emanresu wrote: »
    I doubt that there is any country in the world where banks have opening hours like that, except maybe in airport branches.
    The US does.

But they pay a lot more than we do to the bank in transaction charges and stuff.

And may I add if you're smart enough you shouldn't pay any fees at all. I'm afraid you can't have it both ways and Halifax have just gone and proved that.

EDIT: My 5,000th post!!! LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭herya

emanresu wrote: »

In Poland all banks are open until 6-7pm, and until 1-2pm on Saturdays. I was kinda shocked to find out that banks are only open during business hours in Ireland. Often they even close at 4. So how is a working person supposed to visit them? And yes, if you have mortgage arrangements or need to lodge cash often it is a major pain.

One of the reasons I chose Halifax was their Saturday banking option and yes I used to avail of it frequently. Sigh...

It's similar with shops. My local shopping centre is losing tenants left and right and yet there is no way for me to shop there during the week. So I well, don't. I guess it's a bygone era arrangement when shopping was only done by stay at home mums and ladies who lunch.

herya wrote: »
    In Poland all banks are open until 6-7pm, and until 1-2pm on Saturdays.

I think you'll find the Polish pay for that prvilage. I've kindly attached the fee structure for a bank in Poland that is majority owned by AIB.

And just so you know -> 1 Polish zloty = 0.254569827 Euros and the average wage in Poland is a quarter of what it is here.

Now ask your self... would you be happy paying a tenner a month just to have a bank account (on a comparative basis)?

Would you fcuk....

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭almalahide

stepbar wrote: »
    And may I add if you're smart enough you shouldn't pay any fees at all. I'm afraid you can't have it both ways and Halifax have just gone and proved that.

Exactly! At the very least the banks could do 9-5 like any other business????? Seriously.

• Advertisement

almalahide wrote: »
    Exactly! At the very least the banks could do 9-5 like any other business????? Seriously.

And do you think bank staff are sitting on their arses between the hours of 9-10pm and 4-5pm ? Seriously.

And do you think bank staff are sitting on their arses between the hours of 9-10pm and 4-5pm ? Seriously.

Well I couldnt tell you what the staff are doing but if the Halifax staff could fit in whatever goes on why could the others not do the same?!

Well I couldnt tell you what the staff are doing but if the Halifax staff could fit in whatever goes on why could the others not do the same?!

Well why do you think Halifax are pulling out of Ireland?

Halifax staff could fit in any amount of work because they had lots of time to do same. Halifax branches were never busy places. There's 2 city centre branches in Dublin (St Stephen's Green and College Green), neither were ever very busy. On the otherside where I worked, we would regularly have at least 20 people queuing up waiting for the branch to be opened.

Well why do you think Halifax are pulling out of Ireland?

Halifax staff could fit in any amount of work because they had lots of time to do same. Halifax branches were never busy places. There's 2 city centre branches in Dublin (St Stephen's Green and College Green), neither were ever very busy. On the otherside where I worked, we would regularly have at least 20 people queuing up waiting for the branch to be opened.

So If Halifax had been a big puller of people, do you really think they would have said well we have the same amount of customers as UBank so we better take an hour off the mornings and evenings, half morning on wednesday to fit in admin and staff training? I dont think so somehow. I dont see what the big deal is about matching Halifaxs hours. As a customer leaving them and moving to AIB/BOI/UB its like stepping into the dark ages in so many ways..........

So If Halifax had been a big puller of people, do you really think they would have said well we have the same amount of customers as UBank so we better take an hour off the mornings and evenings, half morning on wednesday to fit in admin and staff training? I dont think so somehow. I dont see what the big deal is about matching Halifaxs hours. As a customer leaving them and moving to AIB/BOI/UB its like stepping into the dark ages in so many ways..........

O holy god... you believe that rubbish? Halifax had more customers than Ulster Bank? LOL

I mean you've already admitted you haven't a clue what you're talking about so we'll just leave it at that.
    Well I couldnt tell you what the staff are doing

O holy god... you believe that rubbish? Halifax had more customers than Ulster Bank? LOL

I mean you've already admitted you haven't a clue what you're talking about so we'll just leave it at that.

The 4th word.......Of course, I know they didnt have a big customer base thats obvious.

The 4th word.......Of course, I know they didnt have a big customer base thats obvious.

O but somehow if they did (Halifax had the same amount of customers as UB), they would be somehow different? UB can't even get the simplest things right, I'd dread to think how they would handle another 10% of market share. And before you say "PTSB"... not even in the same league as the top two banks in this country. BOI / AIB share c70-80% of the current account population in this country.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Halifax provided about only a part of the services the other big banks do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭herya

I think you'll find the Polish pay for that prvilage. I've kindly attached the fee structure for a bank in Poland that is majority owned by AIB.

And just so you know -> 1 Polish zloty = 0.254569827 Euros and the average wage in Poland is a quarter of what it is here.

Now ask your self... would you be happy paying a tenner a month just to have a bank account (on a comparative basis)?

Would you fcuk....

It's not true really, BZ WBK is one of more expensive banks to bank with. I'd never take my business there for this very reason.

Poland has a gazillion of banks compared to Ireland - 55 commercial banks and about 600 societies (in 2006, probably more now) - and they have very competitive fee structures especially since pure internet banking establishments were launched a couple of years ago, as most of them have free banking as standard. It's all about competition and making it easy for your customers to bank with you, a bank which closes on 4pm sharp with no Saturdays would not survive a week. Halifax tried to do it here with their innovative products and more lax opening hours but they never got the required scale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

O but somehow if they did (Halifax had the same amount of customers as UB), they would be somehow different? UB can't even get the simplest things right, I'd dread to think how they would handle another 10% of market share. And before you say "PTSB"... not even in the same league as the top two banks in this country. BOI / AIB share c70-80% of the current account population in this country.

Man your really starting to bust my balls ;)

TBH I feel all banks have there off days. It would be fair to say the people experience bad service from all banks.

I do agree that its branch staff that are dreading the sat/late opening. People think its tuff ****e let the bankers do it. Its not those who made all the errors that are going to be sitting there serving people.

When it does go ahead it will be not a full service, only basic cash service. So not as useful as people might think. I worked for 5 years and never went into my bank at all. As pointed out there is 24/7 banking. Before I get the smart reply with some saying "you can't lodge cash into you laptop", this is true. If you need to go into the bank on a reg basis then your job needs to be flexible in that regard.

Sat/Late opening will be coming in for all banks. Consumers want it banks will give it. Also, its only going to be in large cities and towns.

Advertisement