Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weird Networking Problem

Options
  • 28-04-2010 11:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭

Guys I do support for a local company with about 8-10 windows xp machines on a 2003 server. The ISP is Vodafone (Was BT). I supply their Web and email hosting. On three seperate ocaisions they have been unable to access their web site www.xxx.ie or email mail.xxx.ie. ON these ocaisions they can access everything else i.e. I call and ping all local machines, ping server, gateway, google and other web sites that are on the same server with no issue. At the same time I try pinging their web and email from a different site and its working fine. When I try and ping the site for the 2nd time during my callout, lo and behold it works fine and emails start coming in again and they can access their web site! Strange eh?! Like I said this is how it has played out on three seperate occaisions.Has anyone any ideas what it might be?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38 taldar

When its down does it resolve the url when you ping? It sounds like a DNS issue. If 2003 server is DNS server for clients check the event log.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭FusionNet

Is the email and website hoted on a server on their site or is it hosted online by someone like blacknight? What are you using for a mail server? Finallu how long is the problem happening for?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

Yeah where is the website and mail server located?

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭pablo21

HI Guys, The web site and email are hosted by Novara/digiweb. i.e. not onsite.
    When the issue happens the pings timeout to the web and mail but are fine to everything else. When I test the ping the second time round it comes back fine and all the mails start to come in again.
    Its happenned on three seperate occaisions.
    It does sound like DNS. I'll have a look at the server logs and see if there's anything there.

Advertisement