Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT question

Options
  • 28-04-2010 8:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭

Just looking at the list of things for the NCT test. It says to make sure "Your Vehicle Registration Book, Registration Certificate or Licensing Certificate is with you when you arrive at the test centre"

All I have is the handbook that includes the Warrenty and Maintenance Record. Can anyone tell me how I can get the Vehicle Registration Book/Certificate/Licensing Cert? My Dad bought the car and usually deals with all things car like for me in Cork but this time I'm doing it in Dublin. He said the last time all he gave them was the handbook with the records in it and he doesn't know what the registration book/cert are about. That was 2 years ago. He thinks that whatever is in the handbook/warrenty book is all I need but I don't think he's right? Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I took all those things last week, and all they wanted was €50.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

I took all those things last week, and all they wanted was €50.

They're not that strict about those things then?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭Moanin

I've never been asked for any of them and I've been there 3-4 times in the past few years

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

What the NCT mean is the vehicle registration certificate.
    You prob won't need it but this is an important paper so you should know where it is anyway, it'll have your details and the car's details on it.

Media,3081,en.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

biko wrote: »
    What the NCT mean is the vehicle registration certificate.
    You prob won't need it but this is an important paper so you should know where it is anyway, it'll have your details and the car's details on it.

Media,3081,en.jpg

Thanks biko, almost certain I had that after someone crashed in to me a few years ago. Will see if they can post it up just in case I do need it, thanks.

• Advertisement

they won't ask for it, just have your booking number :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

RoverJames wrote: »
    they won't ask for it, just have your booking number :)

And not only that, but the tax office only wanted the money as well, never checked insurance or NCT either. I did fill in the form, but the never asked for the certs, just the cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Jurrrr

Abit off topic but my NCT is also out and was wondering if they send you something out automatically like tax renewal or do you have to book yourself? And if so do you need your date of registraion to set up?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

And not only that, but the tax office only wanted the money as well, never checked insurance or NCT either. I did fill in the form, but the never asked for the certs, just the cash.
    Tax office don't need to see NCT or insurance certs, all they need is your insurance details which you must fill in on the motor tax form.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

They don't send out reminders anymore, it is up to the registered owner to know when the car is due it's NCT and arrange the test. You can book it online at www.nct.ie or over the phone. And you do need the car's date of registration which is listed on the Vehicle Registration Cert.

• Advertisement

Jurrrr wrote: »
    Abit off topic but my NCT is also out and was wondering if they send you something out automatically like tax renewal or do you have to book yourself? And if so do you need your date of registraion to set up?

Don't rely on them to remind you to renew, they don't have to. It's your responsibility to book it yourself. To register online all you need is registration number and date of first registration (you can get this from your current NCT cert or registration docs).

• Registered Users Posts: 20,300 ✭✭✭✭casio4

do they contact you if the car is due it's first NCT? also would they fail you for the back wiper been broken or should i get it fixed beforehand?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

In general everything that's fitted on the car have to work, not sure about a back wiper though.
    Not sure about first NCT but they stopped sending out notices a while back, you just have to remember yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭ActingDanClark

its the piece of paper you need when you renew your car tax manually. it contains all details about the car,and confirms you as owner.you'd need it if you tried to sell the car, so root it out!

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Jurrrr

slimjimmc wrote: »
    Don't rely on them to remind you to renew, they don't have to. It's your responsibility to book it yourself. To register online all you need is registration number and date of first registration (you can get this from your current NCT cert or registration docs).
    Thanking you
    casio4 wrote: »
    do they contact you if the car is due it's first NCT? also would they fail you for the back wiper been broken or should i get it fixed beforehand?
    http://www.ncts.ie/pdf/nctmanual.pdf
    Online manual of what they check
    Page 9 has the wiper info. Seems that if its on the car it has to work as previously stated in above post

do they contact you if the car is due it's first NCT?
    They used to send you a letter, but I think they've stopped doing that. You can do your first test 6 months early if you want.
    also would they fail you for the back wiper been broken or should i get it fixed beforehand?
    only windscreen wipers are tested, back wiper is not.

From pg 21 (sect 9) of the NCT manual
    NOTES
    1. Washers will be considered as being fitted if there is any part of a washer system fitted.
    2. This test only applies to front windscreens.

slimjimmc wrote: »
    They used to send you a letter, but I think they've stopped doing that. You can do your first test 6 months early if you want.

only windscreen wipers are tested, back wiper is not.

From pg 21 (sect 9) of the NCT manual
    Thanks for that

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

AFAIK they no longer send any letters out reminding people of any nct due be it first or 5th etc...

Yawns wrote: »
    AFAIK they no longer send any letters out reminding people of any nct due be it first or 5th etc...
    i've tried to book it in on the website but couldn't so i will ring and book it in, i'm not going to get the back wiper done and hope for the best:)

Advertisement