Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vote for Troubles.....!

Options
  • 28-04-2010 6:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭

The famous 'missing' Booker prize of 1970 is to be awarded retrospectively. (in a quirk of fate, the rules changed at the time to include only books written in the previous year, meaning some great books were left out of contention due to publishing date).Go online and vote for JG Farrell's 'Troubles' one of the great Irish novels of the 20th century and shamefully, shamefully overlooked for Booker glory....

http://www.themanbookerprize.com/news/vote

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Voted for Muriel Spark's The Driver's Seat. I was tempted to vote for The Birds On The Trees as the book that really should have won that year but, with the benefit of the world having 40 years of the literary equivalent of Monday morning quarter-backing, Spark's book is the most worthy winner. Spark also had two shortlistings with no wins for what that's worth. The Farrell book is a worthy third in my view but only third. White wouldn't want to win, he didn't like awards.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

To be honest, Kevin Myers wrote an appeal in the Indo about this the other day. For that reason I refuse to vote (Though I may read it at some stage!)

Advertisement