Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Truing Wheels - Leave to Pro or give it a go! - Discuss :)

Options
  • 27-04-2010 11:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

I have a set of Mavic Kysrium Equipe wheels with the flat blade spokes.

Theres a wee wobble in the wheel which is ticking me off.

Money's too tight to mention, and I can't get an extension, so DIY or save for a Pro?

If DIY, any ideas on how to go about doing the deed? Used to your bog standard round spokes, double butted at a push.
    Tagged:

Comments

Bladed spokes make it easier to true a wheel in some ways I find, because you can see if there is any twist in the spoke, whereas you have to feel for it with a round spoke.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭sunshinyday

Id give youtube a look aswell. Theres plenty videos on truing wheels, watch a few of them and weigh up the risks of doing it yourself. Maybe pratice on an old wheel first. Get some info off the manufacturers website and maybe ask a bike shop. Truing wheels usually doesnt cost alot especially if it only a small offset.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭short circuit

The more spokes you have ... the easier to DIY ... the fewer .. go pro. It should only cost you a tenner if nothing new is required.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

I think that if you have the interest in giving it a go then you should try.

* Make sure you have a couple of spare spokes first (at least one of each size, and preferably two) in case you snap one 'cos it's a real pain having an unusable wheel while waiting to get replacements.

* If you are doing the back wheel and the drive side spokes cannot be replaced without removing the cassette, then make sure you have the necessary cassette removal tools available before you start.

* Get a decent spoke key to minimise the risk of rounding the spoke nipples - I've found Park Tool spoke keys to be very good.

As mentioned above flat-bladed spokes are in some respects easier to deal with as you can see the twist in the spokes, and you want to avoid any twist where possible. Keeping them from twisting though can be a challenge but holding the flat part with a small adjustable wrench is possibly the safest bet if your wheels didn't come with an appropriate tool for the job. This Sheldon Brown page has lots of very good info on tensioning and truing wheels.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

Give it a go, it's actually not as bad as it seems! Only a quarter turn at the most, and try and put the bike up on something to do it, some sort of work stand would be the job. Patience. And oil the nipples to make sure they move and you're not twisting the spokes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,021 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

A pro will charge almost nothing for this job, but that gets you no closer to self-reliant nirvana.

You would be brave to attempt your first wheel truing on a Ksyrium. I would not do this if you're the sort of person for whom frustrating DIY jobs quickly escalate to involve the use of sledgehammers and 3-phase power tools.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Lumen wrote: »
    You would be brave to attempt your first wheel truing on a Ksyrium. I would not do this if you're the sort of person for whom frustrating DIY jobs quickly escalate to involve the use of sledgehammers and 3-phase power tools.
    If you have a dremel, or you have ever gone out and bought a dremel while in the middle of fixing your bike (like I did), then yes, you would be best off not attempting your first truing on anything more expensive than €20.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭biker_joe

The best avenue to go here, is to practise on an old wheel, then you will see how easy they are to true up and to feck up !!!

I have been building bikes since I am a kid, and it's the one area of building that I never got the knack of, or HAD the PATIENCE for !!! It's Art in itself ...

Hence I always leave my Factory wheels in for truing .... and also I tend to get hand build wheels rebuilt every couple of years or so .....

Biker Joe.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Clydes

I had some poor experiences with wheels and builders so I bought 3 books and the best imo was from here For €10 you get to download over 100 pages of useful info, tips 'n pics including a step by step model to build your own truing frame in timber.

It is designed for building not repairing. While the principles are the same I believe you get most value by starting from scratch. Then you will be in a much better position to service/maintain your wheels. It will however take plenty of patience & time.

A good example from the book is the point raised by JamesL85 about twisting spokes. The tip is to cut small squares from masking tape and stick them to the spoke. The tape will act as a flag if the spoke twists.

Not surprisingly the author puts huge emphasis on quality tools & components especially spokes.

Do it once and you will understand how time consuming and boring this job is - which imo explains why there are so few do it properly, and certainly why none can afford to do it cheaply.

If sel-reliant nirvana is your destination then this will illuminate your path Grasshopper

Advertisement