Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

opel vectra 1.9 cdti 150bhp (any advise)

Options
  • 27-04-2010 10:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

hi lads
    thinking of buying a vectra 1.9 cdti 150bhp 04+. looks a fine car with the sri body kits. any minor or major problems with them,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,401 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

water pumps can be troublesome on that engine, can fling timing belt off. can have dual mass flywheel, swirl flaps (on inlet manifold), and EGR valve issues too.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If you are going for one try and get one of the facelifted models from 2005 onwards, it received major improvements.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭richardsheil

Pretty much any other saloon car ever sold on the Irish market is better than an Opel Vectra.

The engine would be the only good bit on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,401 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Vectra a good all rounder though, doesn't do any one thing brilliantly but I"d have one over a lot of cars in that class especially if I had to work to a budget.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

I have owned 3 of them including a 05 150bhp SRi.

The main problem with that engine is indeed the swirl valves. There is a design flaw where the EGR valve fouls the swirl valve actuators meaning they end up sticking. Its a €1k job to fix as it includes fitting a new manifold.

The other issue is the suspension. They are a heavy car and wear out tie rods and other suspension components quite quickly. These are inexpnsive and easy to replace.

The 150bhp engine is otherwise a peach but if you want the looks of the SRi then get an SRi and not a tarted up copy. The SRi suspension set up is fairly hard and not to everyones taste especially on Irish pot holed roads.

Wouldn't listen to the Clarksonesque vectra bashing on here too much as they are a well put together car. I got rid of my SRi purely due to the discount offered on the new Oultlander and the swirl valve issue. If you can get one with the swirl valve work already done then I would recommend it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭cam1452

thanks lads
    not really sure what to do now. how do you no if the swirls flaps are goin

cam1452 wrote: »
    thanks lads
    not really sure what to do now. how do you no if the swirls flaps are goin

Symptoms can include a hesitation on acceleration. A visual inspection by a mechanic should show up the fouled EGR valve. In fixing this issue a modifed EGR valve with a blanking plate is fitted so as not to foul the actuator so a visual inspection by a trained eye would spot if the work has been done.

I got the the error code P1109 on my scanner after the car started hesitatiing on acceleration which is the swirl valves sticking. This only affects the 150bhp version and not the 120 version

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Do the swirl flaps break off and go into the engine like they do with Toyota and BMW diesel engines, or do they just stop working properly?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Just as an FYI I currently drive a 1.6 '06 Vectra from new and the only real issue has been an e/w actuator going. I've put up about 132,000 KM and have to say its been bulletproof the entire way.

Do the swirl flaps break off and go into the engine like they do with Toyota and BMW diesel engines, or do they just stop working properly?

No they don't break off they just stick resulting in a engine management error thus putting the car in limp home mode

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

bazz26 wrote: »
    If you are going for one try and get one of the facelifted models from 2005 onwards, it received major improvements.

Very true, not really much better to look at, but much better to drive

• Registered Users Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭Ardent

I have a 04 vectra 1.6 petrol a little over a year now. Good solid car and great all rounder as said before. Suspension is quite hard compared to other cars.

I recently replaced the steering rack tie rods (eBay) and rubber bushings on all the ARBs (main dealer) - the parts were very cheap.

It is recommended that you replace the timing belt every 40,000 miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

I had a 06 Vetcra Sri - no problems at all (okay it was new then).
    I had the engine remapped to 205bhp--- haha then it was fun. and still returned over 55mpg for the 20,000 miles I had it!

Advertisement