Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Injecting cows to come on Heat

Options
  • 27-04-2010 10:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭

Just wondering if many use this. I had discussed it with my vet earlier and he recommended it highly.

He was saying that you give them 2 injections 11 days apart and then let out the bull.

does anyone have any experience of it - is it successful. Sounds great if it worked. compact the whole calving season into a few weeks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

whats the name of it ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭lifelover2006

whelan1 wrote: »
    whats the name of it ?

sorry, don't know. We didn't get to that detail yet - I will find out and let you know.

Do you recommend any certain types?????? are there different ones ??

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭pajero12

sorry, don't know. We didn't get to that detail yet - I will find out and let you know.

Do you recommend any certain types?????? are there different ones ??

I assume it probably "estrumate"..It brings cows to heat and is also used to abort calves...Its about €25 for 10cc

think its 60 odd euro for a 20 ml bottle

whelan1 wrote: »
    think its 60 odd euro for a 20 ml bottle

Thats what were paying for it....we use a good bit of it flushing cows!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭wiggy123

it not expensive..how many cc do u give a cow?

2cc in to the muscle- will be in heat 48 - 72 hrs later

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭wiggy123

so 20ml bottle do 10 cows...expensive if you have a big herd,suppose it has its plus's....ie good calving interval..tight,etc

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Just wondering if many use this. I had discussed it with my vet earlier and he recommended it highly.

He was saying that you give them 2 injections 11 days apart and then let out the bull.

does anyone have any experience of it - is it successful. Sounds great if it worked. compact the whole calving season into a few weeks.
    It's no magic potion, it's just an aid to heat detection. You still have to wait a certain length of time after calving to get a cow in calf. If you want to have a more compact calving season using PRID on late calving cows would have a better chance of getting them in calf earlier. Estrumate works better with heifers and PRID works better with cows.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭jfh

would have to agree with previous poster, i found the estramate on it's own no use, used it along with the CIDR or PRID and it showed stronger heat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 24_7

would agree again. estrumate on its own not great but with the cidr they'll be bulling like mad. Cidr about 12-15 euros each

is it the cidr that you can re use ?

Supposedly if you wash them and dip them in iodine,they can be used again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Njas

can you use Cidr on its own without the injection? Take it out after 12th day and they come bulling day14.

Njas wrote: »
    can you use Cidr on its own without the injection? Take it out after 12th day and they come bulling day14.
    No, you have to inject them with 2cc after removing cidr if I remember correctly. When I used them first it was done through the AI station, they had a tablet that was inserted you know where after cidr removal as they weren't allowed to use injections.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭ellewood

have worked estrumate on hfrs and work relly well what is cidr and how does it work and what are the costs per cow and how successful is it

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

There is a cheaper way if using ai on heifers, you tail paint them and serve them as you see them, I can't remember exactly for how many days, I think it is 7, then use 2cc of estrumate on all the ones that haven't been served. These should all come bulling over the next 2 days. Then run a bull to serve any that were missed.
    If you do this check the 7 day bit, this could be a few days longer.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Tail painter

Used estrumate 11 days apart on heifers last year. 40 out of 44 came in heat over the next 4 days. Only 18 held to first AI service. Weather was very wet so maybe would be better conception rate dry conditions Would'nt recommend for natural service as bull would be knackered!! Not very successful on cows either

blue5000 wrote: »
    There is a cheaper way if using ai on heifers, you tail paint them and serve them as you see them, I can't remember exactly for how many days, I think it is 7, then use 2cc of estrumate on all the ones that haven't been served. These should all come bulling over the next 2 days. Then run a bull to serve any that were missed.
    If you do this check the 7 day bit, this could be a few days longer.
    7 days is correct. The last batch of heifers I used AI on I used this system. They all went in calf to first service. I watched them 3 times a day 15-27 days after the first service none repeated. All of them calved within 10 days of each other.

Tailpainter I don't know why you would give them all 2 injections unless you were using fixed time AI without observing standing heat. With this system you should observe for heat after first injection and AI then give a second injection to the heifers that weren't seen in heat. Any time I used estrumate on heifers only a very small % repeated to first service. I always had over half the heifers repeating when using cidr.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Njas

Sam Kade wrote: »
    No, you have to inject them with 2cc after removing cidr if I remember correctly. When I used them first it was done through the AI station, they had a tablet that was inserted you know where after cidr removal as they weren't allowed to use injections.
    I checked with vet today...apparently it can be done both ways.
    Cidr for 7 days with injection on day 6 and cidr for 12 days with no injection. I'l try this out.

• Advertisement
Advertisement