Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The morning after pill and coming off the pill...

Options
  • 27-04-2010 9:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

Im freaking out at the moment....

I was out on Saturday night and got very drunk and ended up sleeping with this one... typical story eh... but ended up doing it with no protection (3 times if that makes any difference).. no condom and she wasn't on the pill.

After talking to her, she is in her early 30's (im mid 20s), she told me she has been off the pill for 4 months (finished the end of Dec and its now late April) after being on it for 10 years. she took the morning after pill after 40 hours of doing it... She informed me that we would know if we were "safe" after 2 and half weeks...

Now she also told me (now I know this is typical as well) that after being on the pill for so long.. it could take a while to get pregnant, she told me between 6 - 12 months for someone her age... plus with taking the morning after pill before the 48 hour mark...

Help... anyone have anything they can say to calm me down?????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

She sounds like a dumbass tbh, she's in her 30s and hasn't got a clue how the reproductive system works? Once you come off the pill, it doesn't work anymore. Hopefully the MAP worked though since she took it within the required time frame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Get yourself checked out OP and then again in 6 months time.

Let this be a lesson to you - no matter how drunk you are, wear a condom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Dragon_fly

Agree with above, OP.

It's scary to see the varying levels of understanding regarding oral contraception. Women AND men really need to educate themselves!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Yes after being on the pill for 10 years it may take 1 month for a woman to get pregnant but it taking 6 months for a woman's cycle return is normal.

That being said the morning after pill is most efective the shorter ammount of time elapses,
    it can work up to 72 hours but it is not 100% effective. Ideally it should be taken with in 24 hours.

Also taking the morning after pill can delays a woman getting her period, so she may not get her period on time and it could be two weeks late.

So you will have to wait and see.

Also you had unprotected sex which means while you may not get pregnant being a man you have still exposed yourself to arange of STI and HIV, you should consider going and getting an STI screening.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭IzzyWizzy

Hi all,

Im freaking out at the moment....

I was out on Saturday night and got very drunk and ended up sleeping with this one... typical story eh... but ended up doing it with no protection (3 times if that makes any difference).. no condom and she wasn't on the pill.

After talking to her, she is in her early 30's (im mid 20s), she told me she has been off the pill for 4 months (finished the end of Dec and its now late April) after being on it for 10 years. she took the morning after pill after 40 hours of doing it... She informed me that we would know if we were "safe" after 2 and half weeks...

Now she also told me (now I know this is typical as well) that after being on the pill for so long.. it could take a while to get pregnant, she told me between 6 - 12 months for someone her age... plus with taking the morning after pill before the 48 hour mark...

Help... anyone have anything they can say to calm me down?????

Absolute BS. I can't believe how ignorant some people manage to be. In her early thirties as well?? If her period has not returned, then she MIGHT have a point (although she could have ovulated already, before you had sex so this is not reliable) but if she's getting her period, she's fertile. Hopefully the morning after pill has worked. You should get tested for STI's as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

MAP should be taken within 72 hours of intercourse in order for it to be most effective - so she's done that right.

Get yourself checked for STDs - because you had unprotected intercourse.

About the pill - once a woman stops taking it, it can take a while for the reproductive cycle to return to normal. However, a woman could get pregnant immediately - it's all different from woman to woman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Peggypeg

Hey OP,

Take a big breath and let it out slowly, I'd say you're 99.999999999% in the clear here. The MAP is a great thing altogether. Either way being stressed up to the eyeballs is not good for you. So just try to accept that she's not pregnant, if it turns out she is (very very very very very unlikely) then you'll know soon enough and you can deal with it then.

I'm feeling your worry here, I just did a pregnancy test this morning and I'm still rattled (all clear thank god). I came off the pill after 9 years in January (because of loads of period reasons that I won't go in to) but we've been using condoms. I was due my period on Saturday so I was getting bit freaked when there was still no sign this morning. So yeah feeling your pain, it's a ****ing awful thing to be worrying about.

As others have said it might be a good idea to get STI screening though, can't hurt anyways can it (well apart from the blood test:D)

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi All,

Thanks for all your comments and posts... but still freaking out and still 2 to 3 weeks to go...

The amount of info I have read about the MAP is ridiculous.. I know she took it between 36 and 40 hours from the 1st time we did it... so from all the info there is 85% protection... but I'm still freaking out...

The main reason I am freaking out is because the way my life is going recently, she will defo get pregnant.... Basically over the last 6 months I have lost my good job... I have lost my girlfriend of 4 years, who I thought was the one... still trying to pay my mortgage.. and now this...

And I'm so F*cking pissed off at myself for not using a condom... I am a very responsible person (usually!) and I get slagged for being so sensible.... thats probably the most annoying thing and then have this worry on top...

:(

hi , just want to point out that the m a p is not 85 % effective . i took it within 8 hours of having unprotected sex and it did NOT work ...when i found my self pregnant , i was horrified , went to my g p and complained ..her answer was ... there are no reliable effective rates available for the m a p , success varies . I later had to go thru the trauma of a termination , so to the poster who said you have nothing to worry about ...i disagree, as a side note , i was only 2 days after my period when i concieved which was day 5 in my cycle ...

not so wrote: »
    hi , just want to point out that the m a p is not 85 % effective . i took it within 8 hours of having unprotected sex and it did NOT work ...when i found my self pregnant , i was horrified , went to my g p and complained ..her answer was ... there are no reliable effective rates available for the m a p , success varies . I later had to go thru the trauma of a termination , so to the poster who said you have nothing to worry about ...i disagree, as a side note , i was only 2 days after my period when i concieved which was day 5 in my cycle ...

85% effective means 15% of the time it doesn't work. It's not a magic wand. It's there to lessen the chances of conceiving, not completely remove them. It's a hell of a lot better than nothing, but some people seem to be totally ignorant about what it is and how it works. It's not supposed to be used for contraception after the fact, it's a last resort. I don't know how so many people get the idea that it's guaranteed to work and 'complain' afterwards. Surely the GP and/or pharmacist explains that it's not always effective?

But yeah, I think it's misleading to say 'you're probably grand'. Nobody knows that. No point giving false hope and all that. It's still more likely to work than not work but there are no guarantees. Most of what the woman said is total rubbish as well, about it taking 6-12 months to get pregnant after coming off the Pill 'at her age'. She's early thirties, not 47. Did she happen to mention if she'd had her period since stopping it?

• Advertisement

IzzyWizzy wrote: »
    But yeah, I think it's misleading to say 'you're probably grand'. Nobody knows that. No point giving false hope and all that. It's still more likely to work than not work but there are no guarantees. Most of what the woman said is total rubbish as well, about it taking 6-12 months to get pregnant after coming off the Pill 'at her age'. She's early thirties, not 47. Did she happen to mention if she'd had her period since stopping it?

She didn't mention about not having her period but she did say there was 2 and a half weeks untill we would know if we were safe or not... so I'm guessing, on a standard 28 day cycle, she was on around day 10 - 12 which is really freaking me out cos thats the "most fertile" time....

If the pill doesn't work, I'm blaming myself... not the doc... not her... ME... I was the idiot who didn't put on... let alone ask about being safe...

And if the worst comes to the worst, I would like to take a trip to the UK but I'm not sure she will go for that???? I know I sound like a bastard but I really do not want a kid with someone who I had a one nighter with....

I havn't talked to her about anything since we talked after she took the pill...

I don't want her to know I'm stressing out and add to her stress...

I don't know how she feels about the whole thing... from the last time I was talking to her after she took the pill... she seemed to kinda be like... ah I took the pill.. its grand... and even wanted to meet up again......

I defo dont....

She didn't mention about not having her period but she did say there was 2 and a half weeks untill we would know if we were safe or not... so I'm guessing, on a standard 28 day cycle, she was on around day 10 - 12 which is really freaking me out cos thats the "most fertile" time....

If the pill doesn't work, I'm blaming myself... not the doc... not her... ME... I was the idiot who didn't put on... let alone ask about being safe...

And if the worst comes to the worst, I would like to take a trip to the UK but I'm not sure she will go for that???? I know I sound like a bastard but I really do not want a kid with someone who I had a one nighter with....

Well it does sound like she has her period then, so why on earth she thought she wouldn't be fertile is beyond me. You seem to know more about her menstrual cycles than she does. Either she's incredibly thick or she's actually trying to get pregnant. As for what she decides to do, well, you don't have a choice. I'm sure you don't want a kid with a one night stand but that's part of the risk you take when you sleep with someone without protection. And I mean that in a non-preachy way. It's not bad luck, it's not what you deserve, it's just biology. Have you talked to her about what she would do if she were pregnant?

IzzyWizzy wrote: »
    I'm sure you don't want a kid with a one night stand but that's part of the risk you take when you sleep with someone without protection. And I mean that in a non-preachy way. It's not bad luck, it's not what you deserve, it's just biology. Have you talked to her about what she would do if she were pregnant?

I totally agree with you Izzy... I would be saying the exact same thing to a friend... not in a preachy way.. they are the facts... I'm stressing over the facts and they are not looking good...

I haven't talked to her at all about what would happen if she was pregnant... I don't know her at all... thats the problem...

Don't know if I can do two more weeks of this.........

Hi its the OP here,

I just thought I would let people know the outcome so far as you rarely see ppl saying what happened...

I got a txt of the woman I slept with about 2 weeks ago saying that she got her period... but it is a week early and she also said her cramps were worse than usual. Didn't mentioned anything else being out of the ordinary... like lighter period...

Now I am so relieved and from all the stuff I have read, a womans period can still arrive early after taking the MAP...

My question is... could this be her period or could it be the pre-pregnant blood that I have also read about?? (apologies for my lack of know what its called)

Has anyone thought their period arrive a week earlier after the MAP but was actually pregnant?

Thanks in advance guys.

OP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Yes the morning after pill can make a period happen sooner.
    If by pre pegant blood you mean implantation bleeding that is slight and nothing like a period. IF she says she has gotten her period then I think she should know by now what that is like. Don't forget to get yourself test for STI as well.

Thanks Thaedydal, really appreciate it..

Definitely getting an STI test done next weekend....

Big relief for me and I'm very VERY lucky... Won't be doing that again AT ALL...

If anyone else is in my position... good luck and hope it works out the best.

Advertisement