Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

linksys wrt54g keeps losing internet connection

Options
  • 27-04-2010 9:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭

I'm having trouble with my linksys wrt54g wireless router, after an hour or two of use it loses the connection to the internet. It takes a reboot to get it back. I have the router over and year, this has only started the last week or so.

It's definitely a router problem as I can connect directly to the cable modem when the router loses connection. I've upgraded to the latest firmware to no avail.

It's also not a PC problem as when the router loses connectivity I can't connect from any other device either.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭FusionNet

All you can really do is update the firmware and if that doesnt fix it Id send it back to linksys...

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭pablo21

FusionNet wrote: »
    All you can really do is update the firmware and if that doesnt fix it Id send it back to linksys...

Second that. Theres not much else you can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Are you using torrents? I've found that with some linksys routers if you have too many IP connections it causes the router to freeze.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭fergusb

I also had a wrt54g wireless router which had a similar issue. When i went to have a look at it I noticed it was baking hot. So moved the router to a more open position on a flat surface to provide more cooling and has worked fine since.

Although shortly afterwards I did install Linux Firmware on it
    http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/index
    Was fairly straight forward and provides a lot more functionality so would recommend if you don't mind getting your hands dirty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭masterK

Thanks for the replies guys. I rarely use torrents. I've already upgraded to the latest linksys firmware, I'll give the linux one a go.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

There is more you can do. Change the channel you are using to either 1, 6 or 11.

Perhaps your neighbour is using the same one and you may be getting interference from it. Also there may be another device around you using those frequencies.

As for firmware, well I have an issue with a lot of 3Com devices on a few of the sites I support and have to roll back the firmware to resolve the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 drink_milk

as layke said before:

change the channel and you can also change the network name (SSID) from the default one (linksys)

Worked for me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭humaxf1

OP, do you connect to the linksys via wifi or a network cable?

Try a HARD reset...This will BLANK all your settings so take a note of them first.

A HARD RESET involves:

With the router powered up, press and hold the reset button for 30 seconds

(dont let go of the reset button...YET)

Kill the power to the router (remember the reset button is still pressed) & wait 30 seconds

(dont let go of the reset button...YET)

Apply power to the router and keep that reset button pressed for a final 30 seconds

Now, you can release the reset button

Thats a total of 90 consecutive seconds for the reset button.

The above will default the router IP address to something like 192.168.1.1, wifi SSID linksys with no security, WAN port settings are blanked, port forwarding will be blanked etc etc. Effectively, as when you took it out of the box.

Good Luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭theTinker

I can check the exact name of the setting when im down in my mams next time. But she was having the same problem for months. The internet would disconnect after a period of non use. It was the same model number as yours.

Turns out it was something silly in the routers setting which actively disconnected the internet after being idle. Did you browse about for anything like "Reconnect" or "Connect" which has options like "Always On"/"On Demand"?

Ill pop down later and get the exact name for you if you'd like.

Advertisement