Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

question about a c licence

Options
  • 27-04-2010 8:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

Hi everyone!
    i just have a few questions there regarding a C licence!! i have recently been offered a job in scandanavia driving a rigid truck for a friends company! i have a B licence at the moment! does anyone know how long it will take for me to get a C licence?? also do i need an E.C. to drive a rigid in europe or will the irish C licence do?? also if i show proof that i have a job offer will it speed up the process??
    thanks in advance everyone!!!:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Hi everyone!
    i just have a few questions there regarding a C licence!! i have recently been offered a job in scandanavia driving a rigid truck for a friends company! i have a B licence at the moment! does anyone know how long it will take for me to get a C licence?? also do i need an E.C. to drive a rigid in europe or will the irish C licence do?? also if i show proof that i have a job offer will it speed up the process??
    thanks in advance everyone!!!:)

It really depends on how quick you pick up the Truck Driving. I've had friends who thought because they were good car drivers that a Truck would be easy to pick up. WRONG! After a few lessons the majority quit saying they couldn't be arsed! But if you're able to pick it up quickly I'd say 2-3 months.

Firstly you have to sit the Theory Test, Get a medical from your GP.
    Apply for the Learner permit, Complete the CPC Multiple Choice Questions and Case Studies. Then apply for your test and undertake lessons.

I know if you can show them a letter of future employment prospects they can speed up the test but because it's in another country I'm not sure. You'll find yourself waiting around alot for paperwork to be completed and forwarded before you have your Pink License. Thankfully the 6 month test restriction doesn't apply to Trucks/Buses.

A C license will cover you for Rigids throughout Europe so you don't need the E.C. If you go to RSA.IE you'll get all the information you need.
    Good Luck and let us know how you get on!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭James Bong 79

Thanks a million Faith+1!! thats a great help!!:)
    well my friends company is officially an irish company working outside of ireland so HOPEFULLY that will help!! im gonna look into it now and ill let ye know how i get on!!
    thanks again!! :)

James, These videos should be of help!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRugJOvV06w
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4GfZ0_Klys&feature=channel

Not everything here applies to the Irish test but it has alot of useful information on the Rigid test.

Found an excellent breakdown of waiting times you can expect. I'm taking no credit for this one!! My good pal Richie15 can be thanked for this!:)

The numbers are in the right order, the letters within the numbers can be done in any order or even together. In the real world steps 5 and 6 can be done together, you don't have to wait for the pink piece of paper to apply for the Artic LP, but technically it's one after the other.

I've included prices too, some of them only approximate as noted by the tilde symbol (~).

1: About a month waiting on Theory test, do Medical in the meantime.
    (a) Medical (~€60)
    (b) Theory Test (€36.50)

2: Two or three days waiting for them to post it to you.
    Obtain Cat.C Learner Permit (€15, or free if you already have one that's still in date)

3: About a month waiting for theories, take lessons in the meantime and while waiting for practicals.
    (a) CPC Multiple Choice (€70)
    (b) CPC Case Studies (€70)
    (c) Rigid Lessons from an ADI (~€50 - €60 each)

4: I was two months waiting for my last test, but it varies widely.
    (a) CPC Driving Test (€110)
    (b) CPC Practical Test (€32)

5: Few days. You can get both together or get Full C first.
    (a) Obtain Cat.C Licence (Free, since you'll be adding Cat.C to your existing B licence)
    (b) Obtain Cat.EC Learner Permit (I think this is free, but since your C Permit is no longer valid it's a grey area)
    (c) Obtain CPC Card (not sure how you go about this?)
    (d) Obtain Digital Tachograph Card (€50, optional but recommended)

Artic Lessons from ADI (a bit more than the rigid)

8: Again, about two months waiting.
    Artic Driving test (€110)

Obtain Cat.EC Licence (Free if your C licence is still valid)

That's about 6 months in total, but it could be a good bit more. Cost would be around €500 not including lessons. And that's without your CPC Periiodic Training (€50 - €100, depending where you do it).

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭James Bong 79

Hey Faith+1 thanks alot!!! that is a great help!!!:)
    absolutely sound out!!:)

(also thanks to Richie15) :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Westwood

Faith+1 wrote: »
    Found an excellent breakdown of waiting times you can expect. I'm taking no credit for this one!! My good pal Richie15 can be thanked for this!:)

The numbers are in the right order, the letters within the numbers can be done in any order or even together. In the real world steps 5 and 6 can be done together, you don't have to wait for the pink piece of paper to apply for the Artic LP, but technically it's one after the other.

I've included prices too, some of them only approximate as noted by the tilde symbol (~).

1: About a month waiting on Theory test, do Medical in the meantime.
    (a) Medical (~€60)
    (b) Theory Test (€36.50)

2: Two or three days waiting for them to post it to you.
    Obtain Cat.C Learner Permit (€15, or free if you already have one that's still in date)

3: About a month waiting for theories, take lessons in the meantime and while waiting for practicals.
    (a) CPC Multiple Choice (€70)
    (b) CPC Case Studies (€70)
    (c) Rigid Lessons from an ADI (~€50 - €60 each)

4: I was two months waiting for my last test, but it varies widely.
    (a) CPC Driving Test (€110)
    (b) CPC Practical Test (€32)

5: Few days. You can get both together or get Full C first.
    (a) Obtain Cat.C Licence (Free, since you'll be adding Cat.C to your existing B licence)
    (b) Obtain Cat.EC Learner Permit (I think this is free, but since your C Permit is no longer valid it's a grey area)
    (c) Obtain CPC Card (not sure how you go about this?)
    (d) Obtain Digital Tachograph Card (€50, optional but recommended)

Artic Lessons from ADI (a bit more than the rigid)

8: Again, about two months waiting.
    Artic Driving test (€110)

Obtain Cat.EC Licence (Free if your C licence is still valid)

That's about 6 months in total, but it could be a good bit more. Cost would be around €500 not including lessons. And that's without your CPC Periiodic Training (€50 - €100, depending where you do it).

thanks for that faith. but is their not a medical and theory for artic after you've done the Rigid? :confused: sorry if im reading it wrong, im due a doctors visit so want to get my monies worth if its needed lol

Westwood the theory for the Rigid cover the Artic as well. As for the Medical, Just get your GP to tick all the boxes on the sheet .i.e C1,C,CE,D1,D,DE
    That way you'll save on further visits if you want to take the Artic or Bus test in the future.:)

Advertisement