Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What should I do?

Options
  • 27-04-2010 8:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I was diagnosed recently with 'reactive' depression by a psyciatrist and have been as a result medicated for this. I have been suffering now for a number of years, but failed to do anything due to my family situation.

I set the wheels in motion over a year ago by going to my GP, he was very helpful and sorted me out with a councellor and that. I was put on anti-depressants back then and didn't feel as if they were having any impact on me, I just felt the same and even worse at times.

I think that my depression come from my family past and also a tragic loss of a cousin whoc was like a sister to me over seven years ago. I have been attending councelling and taking my medication but being honest I feel that I am as low as I can go!

By this I mean I have self-harmed for almost a year now, I'm trying each day to stop but I just can't. To make things worse I have college exams starting in two weeks! When I say that I am low, I mean I don't trust myself. Something I have felt before but now fell more unsure of!

I have mentioned it to my psyciatrist, but I don't think that she is actually thinging anything into the way I am thinking and feeling.

I won't lie nobody except her knows how I feel, and I do fear the consequences if I say anything further...

What should I do?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭parker larkin

I really feel for you.
    Can I ask you a couple of questions:
    1. Do you like, trust and have confidence in your GP
    2. Same question but in relation to your psychiatrist/psychologist

It may be time to get a different opinion and a different counsellor. And as scary as this probably sounds at the moment, once you find the right one, you'll begin to feel the benefits immediately, although the overall condition and treatment will take time to recover and move on from.

In the meantime, try to deal with your big problems in smaller bites. Want to go for a walk but can't get motivated, have a wander round the block. Wanted to read 3 chapters for revision, try and concentrate on a page at a time and remind yourself to think positively about what you have done, as opposed to being upset and frustrated by what you haven't.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

If I am being honest I do trust my GP more than the others, but at the same time I feel that my actions will have consequences.

Nobody knows except my GP, psyciatrist and councellor about my action but at the same time I don't think that they are entirely clear on what I mean't by what I said!

I do feel comfortable with them and would prefer not to change either of them, but I feel that I need to get my point across more clearly do that they understand what I am saying and can in some way move forward and not backwards like I'm doing at the minute!

I feel as if when the exams start in a couple of weeks that I'm severely going to go under and don't know what to do! I havn't entered college all week and I am unaware at what point my lecturers are at! To make things even worse, I go home every weekend and put myself in a difficult situation with my family which makes my life hell and I just don't know how to get out of it!

Advertisement