Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HDip in psychology from Dublin business school

Options
  • 27-04-2010 8:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭

Hi all. I hope that someone can advise me on this. I am going to be starting the above course in September and I'm wondering if anybody else here has done it and if so what has their experience of it been. I know its a relatively new course so I'm finding it difficult to get any feedback.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Cdmt

Hey there unique user

I would advise against doing this course as it is not accredited by the PSI (as far as I know)

Psychology degrees/Hdips in Ireland not accredited are a waste of time in my opinion as the post grad courses and jobs in psychology require you to have undertaken a PSI accredited undergrad degree.

If you are interested in psychotherapy only, you could do a degree in that as its less regulated.

Otherwise try other HDip Psych courses- UCD, UCC, NUIG

Hdip in dbs could be great degree and well run but imo it won't lead to a job for you in psychology at the end of it.

Hope this helps
    cdmt

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Unique User Name

Hi there CDMT. I very much appreciate the feedback. I'll definitely take it into consideration with my decision. I was aware DBS wasn't registered yet but the people at the college assured me that was because it was only a new course. They've applied for it and apparently theres no reason it won't be. The course is apparently in line with the trinity college course structure and should be approved in the next year. The main reason for my choice is that I am applying to do the course part time over two years. In terms of location and time limitations it is really the only choice that I have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Cdmt

No worries. If you are sure it will be accredited then it sounds good. But just be careful that DBS are not being overly optimistic. It is really important that it is accredited. For part-time courses, you could also try the DBS full psych. degree (4 years part-time, evenings) or the Open University (3/4 years, online/distant learning)- both of these are accredited. Hope it works out for you whatever you decide.

Cdmt

Thanks again CDMT. I initially applied for the full time degree part time but apparently because I already have a degree in another discipline the hdip over 2 years makes more sense. (they're both level 8 awards). I certainly will check out that Open University degree though. Thanks again for all your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

The OU have withdrawn their conversion degree, so you would have to go for the BSc. My guess is that DBS will get accreditation as their BA is accerdited, but then again things can go wrong. I do my BA and MA at DBS, but tbh I don't think I would take the risk personally, even though I think it will get accredited [if that makes any sense].

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

Why do the PSI take so long to accredit certain courses? Surely a look at the subjects and lecturers could solve the issue quickly?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Valmont wrote: »
    Why do the PSI take so long to accredit certain courses? Surely a look at the subjects and lecturers could solve the issue quickly?

With this course I remember checking it out about two years ago. It was pretty much a much the same lectuers with a condenced version of the BA. I would not like to be one of the first graduates still awaiting for accreditation.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭stuf

Any accrediting organisation with wait for the course has to run through to completion before accrediting a course. One thing you have to remember is that colleges like DBS are in the business of making money so it makes no sense for them to run a course which will need accreditation to be successful to not ensure they fulfil all the criteria for accreditation. In general courses are set up by people involved in the accrediting body and know what they are doing.

stuf wrote: »
    Any accrediting organisation with wait for the course has to run through to completion before accrediting a course. One thing you have to remember is that colleges like DBS are in the business of making money so it makes no sense for them to run a course which will need accreditation to be successful to not ensure they fulfil all the criteria for accreditation. In general courses are set up by people involved in the accrediting body and know what they are doing.

Hi. Thanks for this. It gives me quite a bit more confidence in going for it than I previously had. Thank you to everybody else for the assistance too. I've had a look around and in terms of convenience of location and the fact I'm doing this on a part time basis this really is the only option for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

stuf wrote: »
    Any accrediting organisation with wait for the course has to run through to completion before accrediting a course. One thing you have to remember is that colleges like DBS are in the business of making money so it makes no sense for them to run a course which will need accreditation to be successful to not ensure they fulfil all the criteria for accreditation... In general courses are set up by people involved in the accrediting body and know what they are doing.
    The bolded part doesn't make any sense. What are you trying to say?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭stuf

The bolded part doesn't make any sense. What are you trying to say?

you're right there - couple of typos - should have read:

Any accrediting organisation will wait for the course has to run through to completion...

The gist of my post is that it makes no commercial sense to run a course which won't be accredited by the relevant bodies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Sofa so good

Well if it doesn't stop people enrolling it makes perfect sense...

.... Pay a few lecturers, hire a few rooms, put bums on seats...doesn't exactly break the bank to do the above, and with the bare minimum of students you're into profit. Accreditation is great, but an organisation may have to up their game to achieve it.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭samsamson

I'm aware that I am bumping an old thread.

I went to the open evening the other night and the lecturer told me she expects them to find out whether they have received accreditation or not within the next few months. By the time the next course starts in September, anyway.

I'd be very interested if anyone has feedback on this course. What are the lecturers like, etc. (they're the same for full time and part time).

Also if anyone has taken the part-time course I'd be interested to hear how heavy the work load is and if it would be possible to work full time while doing it and still do well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭hotspur

samsamson wrote: »
    I'm aware that I am bumping an old thread.

I went to the open evening the other night and the lecturer told me she expects them to find out whether they have received accreditation or not within the next few months. By the time the next course starts in September, anyway.

I'd be very interested if anyone has feedback on this course. What are the lecturers like, etc. (they're the same for full time and part time).

Also if anyone has taken the part-time course I'd be interested to hear how heavy the work load is and if it would be possible to work full time while doing it and still do well.

These couple of posts by Ste05 who has been doing it may be of use:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=64877473&postcount=13
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=64894875&postcount=20

Advertisement