Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many texts/calls do you get per day?

Options
  • 27-04-2010 6:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Im probably opening pandora's box by starting this thread but I suppose Id just like to get an idea of where I stand in relation to other people on the issue of text messages/calls. More specifically how many texts do people recieve on average per day? I know this could come under "Polls" but its also A PI issue so bare with me.......
    The reason I ask is because for a long time now Ive suspected I dont get as many calls/texts as the average person. I picked up my phone the other day and saw that the last text message Id recieved had been 8 days ago, and even then it was just a response to a text I had sent making an inquiry. As for calls? Well suffice it to say that its been even longer than 8 days since I got a call. It wouldnt bother me if it was a once off either but its not, I go regular long periods without getting a text or call. I dont have a family to speak of, we're all estranged from each other(too long a story to get into) so I know thats a part of whats missing. I try not to take the lack of texts/calls personally but sometimes I'll notice that people around me seem to be constantly talking on the phone or texting. I dont get to see the few friends I do have too often. A couple are married, another is engaged and the person who I considered to be my best friend started going out with a girl 7 months ago, after which I got to hang out with him very rarely.
    So is it my imagination or do people get more texts/calls than this or is it par for the course?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭Aurora Borealis

Not giving you a short answer but if you'd like more contact then make more contact. It's about what you put into things, friendships included.

I find as I get older I'm less inclined to be texting and calling so much and my texts and calls are fewer accordingly. Happy enough with that too as I enjoy my own time more and with work commitments being greater etc I find I crave more quiet time but on those evenings where I want to hang out I don't wait around for someone to contact me. I get the phone out and use it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

I'm the same as the poster above, I don't instigate communication. I don't phone anyone and I only text the guy I'm seeing now sometimes and in turn, I receive very few calls and texts and that's how I like it. I use it to get phone calls from my boss about more work and to let someone know I'll be 10 minutes late but otherwise I use it for an alarm clock and to play snake. I'd flush the thing down the toilet if it wasn't for work. I HATE my mobile phone but I'm required to have one as I travel for work a lot. The very fact that it might ring any minute leaves me on edge and if someone does try to call, I usually ignore it (and send a Facebook message or email later). I find it intrusive on my private time and I honestly think they're the bane of modern life.

I think a lot of people feel like I do, OP. How many messages and phone calls you get is no indication of how popular or accepted or loved you are. These things all existed pre-1998 as well you know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

It varies for me, I could often go several days without getting any text's or phone calls from anyone. I've often thought I could turn the phone off for a week and turn it back on and I wouldn't have missed any texts or calls. Not massively bothered either. I'm not one of these vain people who insists on having their mobile pinned to their ear 24/7.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Some days I'd be looking for one message sent at the start of the day and I'd have to sift through 100 odd...other times a couple of days would go by without a text.

The only thing that makes a difference is whether or not I pick up the phone.

As people have said, it's not an indicator of how popular or liked you are. For example: I text some people almost every day that I haven't seen for MONTHS. They're just people I have in place for texting while I'm bored and want a chat (and I'd be the same to them). Then there's the core people who I'd text or call to catch up or waffle to. Then there's the people I'd text about business, work etc.

It's very much a habitual thing. I text these people and they text me because we've gotten in the habit of doing so. Like I said, some people that I'd talk to every day wouldn't even be very close friends...it's just a habit to waffle to them.

So if you want to get into that habit, make the first move and text someone saying "Hey, need to vent. Work is **** isn't it?" or whatever and start a conversation. Then text them the next day or a couple of days later with an update on what you were talking about, start a simple conversation then keep it going day-by-day.

That's only IF you want to do that. If you were happy with the way things were, and how close you are to your friends beforehand, don't let the fact that you see other people on their phone all the time affect that. There's no 'rule of thumb' here.

However, if seeing people on the phone all the time MADE you realise that you were unhappy with how close you are to people...then take the initiative, pick up the phone and change it.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Communication is a two way thing OP, whats stopping you from texting or ringing people?

i get about 6-10 texts on a normal day, more if I'm catching up with someone, rarely ever ring anyone but my girlfriend 1 or 2 nights a week, but we text each other in the evening times.

I work for a phone company so from seeing peoples text usage over the years it can be massive, one woman I was talking to once sent nearly 5000 texts a month

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

at one stage i was texting maybe 4 people the whole time. I was getting 20+ texts a day and sending just as many.
    I just went through a bit (not relating to the people I was texting) but changed my number and stopped bothering with people I hardly ever saw. So most of the texters dropped off my radar.
    Now I only get texts from my sister and my mam. I email my friends at work sooner than text, or meet them at the weekend.
    I just realised how stupid texts are as an alternative to other forms of communications!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I send an average of 1000 texts a month, my phone is a work phone and about 250 of those are work related texts, the rest would be to the bf, friends, and casual acquaintances

I spend a lot of time in work on the phone so if it can be dealt with by text or email my friends know and do so.

Different strokes for different folks I guess :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

It's a superficial barometer to measure the amount of valuable friendships you have.

I know everyone these days seems to be surgically attached to their phones, but as someone pointed out, it's a relatively new trend in modern technology, so it's akin to determining how loved and valued you are based on the amount of friends you have on facebook or something.

Some people are simply not 'phone' people, simple as. I have an uncle who owns one simply for work purposes, but doesn't know or have any interest in using the text function and never makes phone calls on it. So we all know not to text and not to call. Maybe you're the same - the people in your life know not to bother. Or equally they might all be just like my uncle.

Personally, most days I'll get a fair few texts and calls off family, friends and then all the annoying work ones! Can't really be avoided with work as I need to be contactable 24/7; family is the other side of the country so phone contact is the easiest and equally friends all over place and the texts/odd phone calls are just habitual.

It's really up to you decide whether you're just not a phone person and are happy to stay that way, or whether you are feeling isolated and need to re-connect with your friends / make new ones.

If it's the former, honestly I envy you as it's got to be a huge freedom to not have to obsessively check your phone every few minutes, it's an addiction we'd all be better off without!

But if you're feeling like you're missing out, then take Leggo's advice and start sending out a few messages, make a few calls. It will build up relatively fast, but don't read too much into it - it's not a form of validation that is going to make you feel special; it's simply a habit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

tenchi-fan wrote: »
    at one stage i was texting maybe 4 people the whole time. I was getting 20+ texts a day and sending just as many.
    I just went through a bit (not relating to the people I was texting) but changed my number and stopped bothering with people I hardly ever saw. So most of the texters dropped off my radar.
    Now I only get texts from my sister and my mam. I email my friends at work sooner than text, or meet them at the weekend.
    I just realised how stupid texts are as an alternative to other forms of communications!

+ 1 pretty much the same for me, get texts/calls mainly from my mum, right now I don't know where my phone is, it's in the flat somewhere but haven't seen it since sunday evening when my mum called and not bothered enough to look for it, share with my brother so if there's a family issue they can get me via him and work is done via email so only need to find the thing when I need to track people down at the weekend...when I was in college I could get 50+ texts a day which looking back was a bit stupid as the majority were from people I was in class with and saw all day. Have had a few text happy friends over the years but most are either not friends anymore or worse moved to facebook were the spam me with a 100 pointless things every day. The same people who value their social worth by the amount of numbers in their phone are the same people who think the 5000+ "friends" they have on FB, beeboo and all those other things are real friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Frei

Well if it makes you feel any better I get about one every few days and about half of them are from my mum. Everyone is different, me I only text for necessity, not to have a conversation. Added to the fact that I like to be social in very small doses. I actually hate when the phone rings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

Other than my OH, basically no one. id be lucky to get a 1 text/phone call a week from friends/family. Even thoguh im on the other side of the world! It doesnt bother me though, i know they're still my friends. you cant judge your popularity on how many texts you get.
    As was said before, if you want to talk to someone, text/call them yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Quiet enough during the week and then would get a fair few at the weekend. One so far today which was instigated by me. Wouldn't give a fcuk to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

OP here. Thanks for the answers. Wow, a real eye opener. Here was me thinking that evrybody else got way more calls/texts than I did. Just goes to show that you cant jump to conclusions. As some of you guys said, it is a silly thing really, phones and social networking sites as a measure of popularity.
    Thanks again

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

Its true OP and I'm glad you seen it, social networking sites etc and texts are definitely not a valid way of measurement.

If it matters to you, I get between 0 and 10 texts a day on average...I dont mind though I'm not much of a texting person anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭seenitall

Gosh I HATE texting!! It's SO fiddly and tedious. If I never got another text that needs replying to in my life, I'd be happy as a clam.

A few days can pass without a text or a call, and that's the way I like it! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

I only really get texted back. If I text 10 people, I'd be lucky if 1 replied, most times no1 does

Some people just have a strange disposition about communication, I dont understand it

boo urns

Advertisement