Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert History Project

Options
  • 27-04-2010 6:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

I spent all day searching this forum for history project ideas so I do know that this has been asked a million times.
    I'm in 5th year and just starting work on my project.
    But I'm very stuck and my first draft has to be in very soon. I would get it done on time by working hard if I just had a subject!
    I was thinking perhaps something to do with the Lusitania? What could I focus in on?

Another idea I had but scrapped was Mother Mary Harris Jones. But this was scrapped because I couldn't find anything to focus in on.

Has anyone got any help for me? It would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭MavisDavis

If you're considering doing something on the Lusitania, your best bet is to find a good book on the subject and read it. After you've read that, you may see what the best angle to take it, plus you'll have your first source!

For Mother Mary Harris Jones, uou could pick on aspect of her career to focus on, btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭zam

I don't know much about either of these so I can't help you there.
    But basically the way I chose my RSR topic is what I was interested in. That sounds really simplistic, but it really worked, for example if you were really interested in tennis or something you could search interesting historical events involving tennis...
    I really want to be a doctor so I looked up famous doctors throughout history which led me to find Hitler's personal physician which is what my RSR is about.
    I recommend doing that, then you'll actually be interested in what you're doing!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 rae92

MavisDavis wrote: »
    If you're considering doing something on the Lusitania, your best bet is to find a good book on the subject and read it. After you've read that, you may see what the best angle to take it, plus you'll have your first source!

For Mother Mary Harris Jones, uou could pick on aspect of her career to focus on, btw.

I do have a book on the Lusitania, it's called Exploring the Lusitania. I haven't read it all but it's very broad and I know I'm not meant to do that.

I can't find information on just one aspect of Mother Mary Harris Jones. Everywhere just has her life story unfortunately :(
    So that, I think, is out of the picture for now.

rae92 wrote: »
    I do have a book on the Lusitania, it's called Exploring the Lusitania. I haven't read it all but it's very broad and I know I'm not meant to do that.

I can't find information on just one aspect of Mother Mary Harris Jones. Everywhere just has her life story unfortunately :(
    So that, I think, is out of the picture for now.

You use the broad overview to find your angle. You're not likely to find three sources that have been narrowed down to suit your essay!

Is there a biography on her?

MavisDavis wrote: »
    You use the broad overview to find your angle. You're not likely to find three sources that have been narrowed down to suit your essay!

Is there a biography on her?

I'm not sure about a book but there are definitely many online biographies. I'll have to check my library.

• Advertisement

rae92 wrote: »
    I'm not sure about a book but there are definitely many online biographies. I'll have to check my library.

You'll need to, keeping in mind that you can only use one online source. And Wikipedia doesn't count!

You need to read the biography. Skim-read it at least. You should find some interesting area within her life or career.

For example, last year I did Dorothy Macardle, a little known Irish Republican and general activist. After reading a biography on her, I focused on how she used her writing career to highlight issues which were important to her.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Wallflower99

Can anyone explain how to do the evaluation of sources for the research topic I haven't a clue how to do it and our teacher hasn't given any guidance?

Hi Wallflower99!

I can't believe someone posted on this 7 year-old thread! I'm now a history teacher myself and am currently helping a student with his project. I gave him this example to use as a template:

https://leavingcerthistory.net/research-projects/sample-projects/

Follow the basic characteristics on this:
    Is it primary or secondary?
    What are the strengths and weaknesses of the source?
    Is there any bias?
    Was it helpful to your research?
    Was it easy or difficult to understand?

Hope this helps in some way. Best of luck!

Advertisement