Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New prescription hugely different. Is it right??

Options
  • 27-04-2010 4:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,719 ✭✭✭

I need glasses for reading only and a year ago I had my eyes tested as it ws a few years since I had it done and I think maybe the left eye might need a little more help but mostly because I fancied a new pair of specs! :D

The prescription a year ago was

Right eye: Sphere -0.25. Cyl +0.50 Axis 170
    Left eye: Sphere +0.25. Cyl +0.50 Axis 15

Then a week ago I had another test done, in a different opticians and the prescription is

Right eye: Sphere +0.75 Cyl +0.75 Axis 10
    Left eye: Sphere +1.50 Cyl +0.25 Axis 180

The optician said that this was a distance prescription even though the glasses were mostly for reading so could that explain the huge difference??

So I went ahead and ordered some glasses online, luckily cheap ones to by my stand-bys because I got them today and they make me feel like Mr Magoo!! I can see ok but verything looks HUGE through them and if I wear them for 15 minutes and take them off I am blind!!!! Everything is out of focus until my eyes adjust.

Of course maybe the online glasses people messed up. And I will pop back to the optician tomorrow to discuss it, but wondering if anyone can shed light on the differences in the 2 prescriptions. And is it possible the optician over prescribed??

Anyway, first time posting in this forum so thanks for reading, any advice appreciated! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Foggles

If you can see clearly with this prescription then the change is probably needed. It'll just take some getting adjusted as your previous prescription was weaker. I'm sure when you wear them for reading you'll notice the new one are much better. Don't expect your optician to spend much or anytime time checking the specs you got online.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,719 ✭✭✭sudzs

Thanks for the reply. :)

I am planning to have my old (pricey) frames fitted with lenses to the new prescription, so yes I would expect the optician to check my cheapy classes first to check they are correct and if they are, then discuss if I really need what seems to me such a strong magnification.

That will also give me a chance to ask her to explain why I have a distance prescription for reading, sewing etc. :confused:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

Well you are slightly longsighted. When you are young your eyes can over come that slight prescription to a certain extent. However this puts a lot of strain on your eyes and then when you try to do some close work (which requires the eyes to work harder), your eyes arent always able to both overcome the prescription AND focus up close.
    So if you have the glasses on, all the eyes have to do is focus up close.
    Hope this make sense. I usually explain it using a lot of hand gestures and sometimes diagrams

• Registered Users Posts: 8,719 ✭✭✭sudzs

Thanks Daisies! I geddit!!! :D

Maybe I just need to get used to them but they do seem excessivly strong. It's a bit like when you put on someone elses glasses and it feels a bit like your eyeballs are being pulled out of theit sockets!!! :eek:

My original glasses, made to the prescription from a year ago,
    (Right eye: Sphere -0.25. Cyl +0.50 Axis 170, Left eye: Sphere +0.25. Cyl +0.50 Axis 15) seem fine except that maybe my left eye might need a bit more help. :confused:

It just seems like a huge change after only a year. Maybe I'll try another eye test!!! :D

Advertisement