Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Server Cabinet

Options
  • 27-04-2010 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭

Looking for a cabinet to sort out the 'mess' we call a server room.. We're running 2 standard box servers, and have 3 patch panels, 3 switches, a UPS and couple of routers all flung all over the place..

Could anyone recommend a good solution for us? I was thinking a stand-alone cabinets, with all patches/switches mounted at the top, a shelf with a monnitor/mouse./kboard with KVM in the middle and the 2 servers at the bottom. How does this sound?

Also, wheres the best place to buy cabinets nationally?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

We got ours from the UK (cooperbline.co.uk) so can't recommend a supplier here but...

I would suggest that you look for a 800mm wide cabinet, rather than a commonly found 600mm as it makes neat cabling much easier, and leaves room to attach a power distribution unit inside the cabinet (to provide 10 or so power connections). Also at least 1000mm depth in case you're adding rackmount servers in future. I notice radionics are selling some cabinets whose dimensions might annoy you in future with Dell rails not fitting.

I'd guess that your servers, routers etc are not rack-mountable?
    Are the servers heavy metal boat anchors? If so, try and put each on it's own tray on their side, with enough room to lift the lid and clean it out. Not just pile them and the UPS in the floorspace at the bottom of the cabinet.

If you're looking at a full 6 foot 7, 42U high rack you should have plenty of room.

Other things to consider are whether the cabinet should have castors, should it be possible to flatpack the cabinet, should it be possible to bolt cabinets together?
    For the equipment you have at the moment, it wouldn't matter for heating purposes whether the front door is glass or preforated mesh.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭roryq

We use temple sales that is where we get our cabinets from.

http://www.temple.ie/iopen24/index.php

• Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

Ccity do them for 729 ex VAT. That's a full 48U rack. I bought the one we have from Dell, way over charged! Had Ccity been doing them at the time, I would have went with them.

Advertisement