Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"To the fore"- how to translate?

Options
  • 27-04-2010 2:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭

Trying to think of how I would translate "to the fore" and was wondering could "chun tosaigh" work in this context.

Chun tosaigh normally is used for "ahead" etc. and I'm familiar with the general use of it, but could you use it for "academics to the fore" say (after volcano in Iceland for example).

Would "chun tosaigh" be okay here or do I need a different term?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭maupat

'ar thús cadhnaíochta' a ritheann liom ag an bpointe seo.

"academics to the fore" = "scolairí atá ar thús cadhnaíochta"

An mbeadh sin oiriúnach duit ag coinneáil comhthéacs na habairte iomláin i gcuimhne?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

I love that expression Maupat, haven't come across it before now!

Ó Dónaill says it means 'leading the flight' or 'in the vanguard' and that's definitely a good one for the example I gave.

But I mean more 'to the fore', as in 'above all', 'coming out on top', and would like a short expression for it, something like the one you gave there but with the other meaning of 'to the fore'.

Sorry my example is a bit vague.

Any other ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭maupat

Is é atá ag Ó Dónaill do;

"above all" ná "os cionn gach uile ní"

agus le haghaidh "above all others" is "os cionn cách" nó "thar cách" atá aige.

Is aistriúcháin an-liteartha iad seo áfach. Seans nach bhfuil siad feiliúnach go leor i do chás-sa.

Coinneoidh mé orm ag smaoineamh....:)

Tá muid ag tarraingt air :)

Sea beagán róliteartha faraor ('os cionn cách')

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

Céard atá i gceist agat le "to the fore"? An é go bhfuil siad 'i mbéal an phobail'?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭An gal gréine

Would "ar barr" do it ?

"To the fore" as in "standing out" (above all else), something that pushes in front, but not "ahead" of something else. But not literally physically in front so I can't use 'os comhair' either..

Like 'to the foreground' but not in a physical sense, more in your perspective on it.

Say if you are listening to a cd by a songwriter like Damien Rice and you say about it that the 'song' was to the fore- as in the songwriting, the song for the song's sake.

Would 'an t-amhrán chun tosaigh' work in this sort of context?

Advertisement