Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for 2nd Hand Campervan

Options
  • 27-04-2010 2:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭

Where is the best place to look for a campervan?

I've tried donedeal.ie and adverts.ie. Looking for a cheap (< €1,000) camper as a project, with a good engine! Not interested in a conversion...

Anywhere else I should be looking? I've been keeping an eye on the For Sale thread aswell.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭meercat

credit union

sorry dont think you will get much for less than a grand
    peasant had a great link for a site in germany but still nothing in that price range

• Registered Users Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

stevire wrote: »
    Where is the best place to look for a campervan?

I've tried donedeal.ie and adverts.ie. Looking for a cheap (< €1,000) camper as a project, with a good engine! Not interested in a conversion...

Anywhere else I should be looking? I've been keeping an eye on the For Sale thread aswell.
    http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/campers/1156753

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/campers/1254643

looks in good nick, although someone's had their way with the radio and antena. Check seals on the rear doors too looks like a shower curtain in there, beware of salty Galway air.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

looks in good nick, QUOTE]

U serious?!!

martyc5674 wrote: »

looks in good nick, QUOTE]

U serious?!!
    ... camper as a project, with a good engine!

Yes, I'm working on one and I love it.
    I'm not into pointy vans.
    There's lots it doesn't do, but it's a sound, durable design.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

OK..Just thought for 1000€ a better option would be a more modern van and then convert it over time as funds allow.
    It does have "camper" on the log book so i suppose thats a bonus alright.

I think it being a camper on the log book really only matters if you intend to drive it during conversion, having a commercial with conversions underway may invalidate your insurance. Also you escape VRT of the logbook change which is sometimes required.
    If you want a modern van then I'd go with something else, the 308 is noisy, slow and not too fond of hills. What will say in it's defense is parts are reasonable, the mechanics and electrics are simple so it's easy enough to figure out what needs doing how. The engine can't be faulted. It's got a great driving position and a big horizontal steering wheel...after about 4 hours driving VW's i start to appreciate little things like that, and it's roughly 40mp/g unladen.
    I'd imagine anything you find for 1k will require a fair bit of work before you consider conversion, often a cheap van while require the same cost in maintenance as would a more expensive cost to buy in good condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

In my experience , bottom of the barrel , older and possibly slightly damaged Coach builts start from around 5k.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

Cheers for all the advice, got a 94 Merc 310d Ambulance. Good running order and chasis is mint. Oil heater is broken, but is fixable for small money.

Already have a doner caravan, so starting the conversion tomorrow with a cleaning up of interior and engine! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭meercat

good man,safe travels

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

Cheers for all the advice, got a 94 Merc 310d Ambulance. Good running order and chasis is mint. Oil heater is broken, but is fixable for small money.

Already have a doner caravan, so starting the conversion tomorrow with a cleaning up of interior and engine! :D

Nice van but be sure to treat rust immediately and waxoil the cavities. The top and bottom go in all the doors, make sure they get done every couple of years.

Advertisement