Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Squarefit Tallaght: ripoff

Options
  • 27-04-2010 12:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

I needed a side indicator light case(cover) for my Skoda Octavia. These fellas charged me 45 Euros whereas online spare stockists like Micksgarage sell them for 20 Euros. When asked why there is a big difference, the manager stated nonchalantly that they charge 25 Euros for fitting ! If this is not a ripoff, what else can be?:confused:

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25 dolalu

seems a bit excessive to replace a light cover...but did you not ask them how much it would be before you allowed them to fit it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭brian plank

seems reasonable. they're not going to work for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭whippet

and tell me how accomodating was 'mick's garage's' showroom. For the 20 odd quid would the internet man replace it for you?

There will always be a difference in price between online box shifters and bricks and morter shops.

So in effect this isn't a rip off, more like someone has buyers remorse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

I am in the aftermarket/spare parts business. Granted I deal more with commercial garages and large hauliers than cars etc, but I know from experience that prices can vary hugely between motor factors and garages.

Eg, a motor factor may buy a part for 10euro and they sell it to a garage with a 30% mark up so it now costs the garage 13 euro.
    The garage will (obviously) put their percentage onto that too which could be up to 50% or more, so the part now could potentially sold to an end user at 19.50.

The 25 euro fitting charge is reasonable enough, most garages charge bybthe hour and have a minimum charge (in this case I'm guessing fifty euro an hour labour and they put you in at a half hour)

I'm in no way a pro ripoff supporter, and indeed many of my posts end up in rip off Ireland threads, but when I see a need to at least try to justify some charges, when I DO see a case I will point it out.

Hope this clears it up a bit mate, but in fairness that doesn't seem TOO bad to me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

why did you not call into tallaght auroparts next door - buy it for 20quid and fit it yourself?

• Advertisement
Advertisement