Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time to put my hand into my pocket..

Options
  • 27-04-2010 11:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭

A few weeks ago I read a thread here regarding buying a new laptop for video editing.. it set me thinking on upgrading and now I want to upgrade my DESKTOP...

I was hoping for some advice and direction if possible..
    I don't think I need a screen, just something fast and I suppose windows 7..

Happy to but online or bricks and mortar..

Any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

What do you plan on doing? What will it be primarily used for?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

Video editing and some photoshop work...

sunny2004 wrote: »
    Video editing and some photoshop work...

Whats in your desktop a the moment? I assume you will be editing HD movies so a decent Graphics card is a good start.

I have a few desktops collecting dust, two of them I built and they are not acting as I wish so I am giving up !

Only parts I am keeping are the screen and sata drives...

So I want a no fuss pre-bulit unit.. no screen..

Hmmm, there are a lot of options there then.... I'll try root out some links

• Advertisement

I literally just got this email...

http://www.elara.ie/products/detailsfullat.asp?productcode=ECE1891542#spec

€438.02 Incl VAT
    HP Pavilion Slimline s5307uk, Dual Core E5300, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit, GMA X4500 HD, 3GB RAM, 500GB HDD, DVD+/-RW LS DL, 6-in-1 card reader, 1Yr Warranty, Office Ready
    (Manufacturer: HP)

cheers man, I am not that up on what good and whats not,
    is it a good deal ?
    Is 3gb of ram enough ?
    and the graphics card is integrated? would it be good enough ?

It's a pretty good deal alrigh, especially since you have the card readers and extension bay on the front!

3GB is fine, no need for anymore considering the graphics card has 1GB on board

Graphics card is fine too, you can install a better one at a later stage if needed but that is a pretty decent one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭101001

i would get at least another hardisk so you can raid them.... if not two/three more. The raid made a massive difference for me. i would like at least 4gbs of ram.

my current editing pc is dual core 3ghz, 4 gigs ram, 1gb video card, two striped riad 500gb. running cs4 on 64 bit xp. This edits true hd sufficiently

the computer is over 4 years old and i consider it outdated but it does the job. If I was to buy now I would go for more than the elara is offering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭gugleguy

Factor this in as well.
    For example, Lenovo are citing a 4 - 5 week delay on orders for laptops because of impact Volcanic Ash issue had on air freight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 Mikeydb

MAC MAC MAC MAC MAC
    Cant advise you strongly enough. If you need to use your cp for CPU intensive tasks and need a stable platform and connectivity, has to be a mac.

I use my cp mainly for audio editing and this alone can be a cpu whore, so id imagine video editing would be worse?

I used to use a pc and could not have it connected to the interweb because of stability issues with my software.

Bought a mac last year and there is just no comparison. Im totally converted.
    They say "once u go mac u never go back":p

Advertisement