Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Camera for the front door?

Options
  • 27-04-2010 10:55am

Can I get a camera thingy for the front door so I can see who's knocking? I don't want to spend a fortune. What are they called so I can look them up? I tried "home security camera" but they're very professional and expensive. All I want is something that shows me who's there. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭RichieO

I am looking for the same thing, just found this site, may not be what you want but it's a start.

http://www.spycameracctv.com/spy/wireless-cameras

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭RichieO

This looks even better... And they're in Ireland...

http://www.spy-cctvshop.ie/high-resolution-wireless-spycam-p-264.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭Jnealon

RFconcepts have a good range of diy cameras. You can wire the camera straight in to a spare scart socket or to an RF modulator and watch the front door from any tv in the house.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

RichieO wrote: »
    This looks even better... And they're in Ireland...

http://www.spy-cctvshop.ie/high-resolution-wireless-spycam-p-264.html

They exagerate a lille in their descripton. 420 tvl would not be high definition, But €129 for that standard & wireless is not bad at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

koolkid wrote: »
    420 tvl would not be high definition
    It doesn't claim to be:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

cast_iron wrote: »
    It doesn't claim to be:confused:

HIGH RESOLUTION WIRELESS SPYCAM

:confused::confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Tim M-U

a simple system all you need.i persume you dont want a recorder den.
    for a cctv cam plus wire you should expect to pay less then €100..
    I had a look at cctvdirect.co.uk and they sell the standard and simply install, plug and play..the dome black should b fine and wont be to obvious behind ivy or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

koolkid wrote: »
    HIGH RESOLUTION WIRELESS SPYCAM

:confused::confused::confused:
    High Resolution is not the same as high definition. Let's not argue though.:D

Wouldn,t dream of it.;)
    I still think the specs are a bit deceiving.

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭gingernut79

anyone used anything like this?

Thinking of getting one of something like this. only power available to this area is the existing doorbell wire. Could a camera be doorbell activated and ideally wifi? Maybe even with an iphone app to view the camera image? Or am I a few years ahead of myself?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

anyone used anything like this?

Thinking of getting one of something like this. only power available to this area is the existing doorbell wire. Could a camera be doorbell activated and ideally wifi? Maybe even with an iphone app to view the camera image? Or am I a few years ahead of myself?

the camera could be PIR movement/presence activated, not really doorbell activated although I'm sure some sort of contact could be arranged but the PIR might be better

Yes you can get a wireless camera to stream to the web, yes you can watch the web stream remotely.

But it will need power.

I picked up a very cheapo unit from ebay for 20 euro. It is very cheap, very small, but they do work and it will do the job i want. Not that it has many applications, and the security guys will slate it when i move the post there, but it does my mother.

http://cgi.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300522589557&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_1370wt_984

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭gingernut79

cheers:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

Just pop down to Maplin, they have all the security AV stuff you need to do a good DIY job.

Advertisement