Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Darkstalkers

Options
  • 27-04-2010 8:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭

Ono's been spouting off on how he's desperate to make a new addition to the Darkstalkers series - what are all your opinions on Vampire Saviour and the viability of a new game?
    I've always loved Darkstalkers - I generally play as Morrigan in any game she pops up in and I mained Felicia in MvC2 for a while -well, she was one of the dozen I played as regularly =D - but on account of me picking up Darkstalkers 3 at about the same time myself and Dunjohn started buying any fighters we found on the shelf it rarely saw play time.
    I've since picked up the PSP version and spend many a night and extended bus trip cutting people up with Hsein-Ko.

Despite my lack of experience with the game it's always been one of my favourite games, if even just from a visual side. The characters look great and the moves everyone do aren't restricted by any sort of logic - even if they share the same inputs as every other Marvel Capcom fighters for the most part they at least all look totally unique - slicing off your own head as an attack anyone?
    Also, virtually everyone has a Raging Demon style super input -who doesn't love that? :pac:

I'd reckon if they were going to make a new game in the series they'd want to rerelease one or two of the games on PSN/XBLA though. I doubt many people outside regular fighting enthusiasts even remember the series.

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I was in the middle of my non gaming drout when Darkstalkers was coming to consoles, however I did play the very first one ad nauseum in Barneys.

I always really enjoyed everything about it, Capcom's penchant for stereotypical character design really worked in a supernatural setting.

Anyone ever seen the American Darkstalkers cartoon? Makes the street Fighter one look like Hamlet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

Loved 3 when it first came out, of course I was 10 or 11 and I sucked badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

Anyone ever seen the American Darkstalkers cartoon? Makes the street Fighter one look like Hamlet.

I have tried to watch it. It's currently rotting on my external HD after I made myself sit through 5 episodes. I couldn't stick it out for the whole thing.
    The one thing I will give it credit for is giving Morrigan a Scottish accent. It had never even occured to me that she should have one until I heard it.

Also, the show gets special mention for Hsien Ko's costume in it. It looks fantastically awful because they seemed to have thought her sash was actually a bare midriff.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Sairus wrote: »
    I have tried to watch it. It's currently rotting on my external HD after I made myself sit through 5 episodes. I couldn't stick it out for the whole thing.
    The one thing I will give it credit for is giving Morrigan a Scottish accent. It had never even occured to me that she should have one until I heard it.

Also, the show gets special mention for Hsien Ko's costume in it. It looks fantastically awful because they seemed to have thought her sash was actually a bare midriff.

Is she Scottish? THE Morrigan is from Irish mythology, I thought. Wasn't she a spirit of death or something similar.

(I know she's not the mythological Morrigan, I'm just suprised she's from round our part of the world :D )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭Xluna

I love Darkstalkers. The characters are great and I love the chain combos. Hsein Ko's one of my favourite video game characters. They should definitely release it on xbla/psn. Glad to hear an new Darkstalkers game is a likely possibility. It's been too long.

• Advertisement

Is she Scottish? THE Morrigan is from Irish mythology, I thought. Wasn't she a spirit of death or something similar.

(I know she's not the mythological Morrigan, I'm just suprised she's from round our part of the world :D )

Celtic mythology tends to be inter-related. The FFVII character Cait sith is the Scottish rendition of Cat Sidhe,it's Irish name. I've never seen the US cartoon,but the anime looks pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

Indeed there was a 4 part OVA. I saw it a long while back and thought it was pretty cool at the time. Shudder to think what the American rendition would have been like though, first I heard of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

I love Darkstalkers, given I'm not great at it but I always thought it was class

Shudder to think what the American rendition would have been like though, first I heard of it.

Gotta love Felicia's giant Force Push at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Ken B

I was the Jedah-feckin-Masta!!!

Top games, I have em all....on all formats.

The Japanese import of Vampire Saviour for the Saturn (with 4MB RAM cartridge) takes pride of place in my collection.

• Advertisement

RopeDrink wrote: »

Favourite tune from my favourite stage - Had a breezy upbeat sound with hints of typical corny darkness.

I'd welcome a new addition to the series.

The music in that game was fantastic.

RESURRECTION

Darkstalkers 3 is getting released on the Japanese PSN as part of their PSone catalogue.
    Hopefully it'll get a Western release too. If not I'll still pick it up the Japanese version, but that makes it awkward to play on the PSP... though it's unlikely I'd do that much. D-Pad and trigger placement is too finiky for proper play of the PSP Darkstalkers I already have.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

BB Hood.
    Felicia.
    Hsien-ko (Lei-Lei).
    Lilith.
    Morrigan.
    Q-Bee.

Yeah.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

*goes and checks games cupboard*

Yeah I thought so, I have a copy of Darkstalkers: The Night Warriors on PSX I bought at a Gamestop for €2 about 4 years ago and never played because I don't have a Playstation handy.

Is it any good?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,881 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Sairus wrote: »
    RESURRECTION

Darkstalkers 3 is getting released on the Japanese PSN as part of their PSone catalogue.
    Hopefully it'll get a Western release too. If not I'll still pick it up the Japanese version, but that makes it awkward to play on the PSP... though it's unlikely I'd do that much. D-Pad and trigger placement is too finiky for proper play of the PSP Darkstalkers I already have.

The PS1 version of Darkstalkers 3 is absolutely disgusting though. Tonnes of frames missing and the load times are astonishingly bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭goodjay

i just hope the modles look better than the ones used in m vs capcom3.it needs a complety dif art style to do it justice.the orignal sprites had a very high qualty disney look to them.god imagine what they could do with the backrounds :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭meducation

goodjay wrote: »
    i just hope the modles look better than the ones used in m vs capcom3.it needs a complety dif art style to do it justice.the orignal sprites had a very high qualty disney look to them.god imagine what they could do with the backrounds :eek:

Disney? you serious i don't see much Disney, maybe change the art style slightly but Bengus done practically all of dark stalkers art and designs, it wouldnt be the same without him

• Registered Users Posts: 10,979 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

I think this calls for Kens awesome Darkstalkers painting again.

Someone go find it.

ant seen this game in ages.just looked up youtube clips.now all i wana do is bin my 360 and dust off my saturn and get palying vampire saviour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Dundle

I honestly don't think it'll work. It's stuck midway between new Street Fighter and the VS Series. I enjoy the games a lot, but I don't see big sales or anything groundbreaking. It's just not worth it for capcom or the fans.

• Advertisement

Dundle wrote: »
    I honestly don't think it'll work. It's stuck midway between new Street Fighter and the VS Series. I enjoy the games a lot, but I don't see big sales or anything groundbreaking. It's just not worth it for capcom or the fans.

ya you right,and wit tekken x street fighter and MK just around the corner.if they are doing it,give it some time.but i def wana see it happen.

Advertisement