Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Squeezebox & Timecapsule - the mind boggles

Options
  • 26-04-2010 9:59pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Ok I have a Squeezebox Classic at present with a very basic set-up just playing off 1 computer.

I'm currently looking at extending the system (or transferring over to Sonos, before I've spent a fortune on Squeezebox!).

Basically what I'm looking to do is as follows:

1) Purchase an Apple TimeCapsule.
    2) Transfer the music currently located on my laptop to timecapsule and point my itunes library at the timecapsule.
    3) All new music will be located on the timecapsule going forward
    4) Use the timecapsule as a router.
    5) Extending the squeezebox system with some Booms/Radio's or Duets.

I have some questions:

1) How will my Squeezebox network work with the timecapsule?

2) If say I have 3 duets and the classic can I connect them to the timecapsule and play music directly from the timecapsule?

3) Do I have to have my computer turned on or can I access the music directly from the timecapsule without having my laptop turned on?

I'd really appreciate some help with this. I'm pretty good when it comes to technology but for some reason the whole squeezebox system has me stumped.

Thanking you all in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

As far as I'm aware (I don't run SS) but you need a media server (squeezecenter or slimserver or whatever they call it now) running somewhere with access to your music.

You can definitely store your library on the timecapsule and point iTunes at it (I have done this), but I run Twonky Media Server on a NAS instead for streaming.

You can run SS on your computer, which will take the songs off the Time Capsule and stream them to your amp or you can point your Duet's at the SS on your computer, which in turn take the songs off the TC, but you will need the computer running, which I presume you wanted to avoid.

I am open to correction on this, but perhaps a NAS or other media streamer might be required for your setup to work as intended.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shane732

nereid wrote: »
    As far as I'm aware (I don't run SS) but you need a media server (squeezecenter or slimserver or whatever they call it now) running somewhere with access to your music.

You can definitely store your library on the timecapsule and point iTunes at it (I have done this), but I run Twonky Media Server on a NAS instead for streaming.

You can run SS on your computer, which will take the songs off the Time Capsule and stream them to your amp or you can point your Duet's at the SS on your computer, which in turn take the songs off the TC, but you will need the computer running, which I presume you wanted to avoid.

I am open to correction on this, but perhaps a NAS or other media streamer might be required for your setup to work as intended.

Thanks for this - any suggestions on what NAS I should go for?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭MediaTank

That's the disadvantage of the Squeezebox - it needs server software to operate. If you go for a NAS, you need to get one compatible with Slimserver. The Time Capsule is no use in this situation. The SONOS system does not require server software but you would still need a NAS, or Time Capsule (if you don't want to stream from your computer).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Shane732 wrote: »
    Thanks for this - any suggestions on what NAS I should go for?
    I use QNAP, but you could probably check the slimdevices forum for which NAS's the users there recommend.

Advertisement