Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have nothing to motivate

Options
  • 26-04-2010 8:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Particularly in this time of recession, there seems to be lots of motivational people around, filling us full of our self worth, telling us we can do anything we put our minds to, encouraging us to think positive always. You can have too much of a good thing, like the mildly aggressive Bill Cullen telling us there is something wrong with us if we are not flogging our potential to death, but for the most part, these motivators make us feel good, and make us think about the future in a positive way.

What do you do then, when you are like me, and you get up in the morning, with no purpose to your life? I don't exactly stand in the middle of the floor staring into space, but that is a good metaphor for how I feel much of the time. I am not lazy, because when I have a particular task to do, I put my heart and soul into it. However, my job is not a career, just a soul destroying job, which earns me a few bob to scrape by, but has absolutely no future in it. I am going nowhere.

I am lacking direction. I know I have all these wonderful abilities that motivational people tell me I have. I just have nowhere to channel them. I could make a success of myself if I knew what to do. I envy people who know exactly what they want to do with their life, and go and achieve it. I don't know what I want. I never did. I'm not particularly skilled at anything, but am generally able in most reasonable tasks. But like the dead end job I am in, there has to be a point to it, a purpose. And I don't have that. I feel a failure.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

i like your post. i guess every one in some stage would feel the same. and you describe the feelings accurately.

i guess, well, maybe the definition of 'purpose of life' can be confusing to people esp. nowadays in this commercial world that seem 'money' 'status' are those things we should go for...

while maybe you are not that type of person, your own family? your interest? make yourself happy? 'purpose of life' may not need to be too grand and huge. it can be just enjoying a ordinary life, be happy with yourself and something like that?

all the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭deadpoet

I love your post too, actually. Very straight to the point and deeply thought provolking.

I have felt indentical in the past, and still do in sporadic bouts. In fact up until recently I was of the same outlook and opinion for what must have been 7 or 8 years.

What you need to do is re-evaluate your definition of success. While you're reconsidering, just make sure that whatever you do decide to do in the interim is something you enjoy doing.

There really isn't any specific goal or universal achievement we all must aim for to give us 'purpose' in life, each person simply does that which makes them happy and in retrospect over all the events, goals and achievements they've fulfilled it forms their unique path in life.

For a start, get a better job because thats obviously something at the forefront of your mind.

Advertisement