Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

M6 motorway toll charges

Options
  • 26-04-2010 7:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭

Whats the toll charges on the new M6 from Galway to Dublin (Im going to wexford) so will be turning off towards tullamore?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭homer90

€1.90

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

^^^^ €1.90

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

cheers, so possibly well worth using it from Galway

Personally I would drive through Limerick to get to Wexford but that's just me. It depends on what time of day and all that.

Galway, Limerick, Cahir, Clonmel, Waterford. New Ross, Wexford.

Berty wrote: »
    Personally I would drive through Limerick to get to Wexford but that's just me. It depends on what time of day and all that.

Thats the way my tomtom suggests?

Actually going to rosslare, leaving Ballinrobe, Mayo lunchtime (12ish)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

+1 Seasoned pilot;)

snaps wrote: »
    Thats the way my tomtom suggests?

Actually going to rosslare, leaving Ballinrobe, Mayo lunchtime (12ish)

Limerick route it is. Trust me. I have a Tom Tom as well but didn't even need to consult it as I have driven most of the roads of this country for years. Getting from one side of the country to the other is fine but diagonally cutting across it is a nightmare.

If you leave Ballinrobe, come across the Tuam and then south to Limerick. Traffic should be fine in Limerick so pass Thomond Park and out the Dublin road to Homebase, along the Childers road until you basically see a sign saying Waterford and....................keep going until you reach the boat. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭The Nutty M

To put a little extra in the pot,I do do the run at least twice a week from Claremorris to Rosslare and do travel Claremorris,Ballymoe,Roscommon,Athlone,Kilbeggan,Tullamore and on down the N80 to Enniscorthy and on to Rosslare.Travel time is less than 4hrs usually,thats in an artic.Good luck on your trip.:)

And I forgot to add that there is no toll for that route.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭dnme

There are 2 tolls between Galway and Dublin, €1.90 and €2.90 (for cars)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Wheres the other one:confused:

• Advertisement

dnme wrote: »
    There are 2 tolls between Galway and Dublin, €1.90 and €2.90 (for cars)
    SARASON wrote: »

Dont worry, you're not going that far. Your planning on heading off towards Tullamore way before the 2nd one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭dnme

SARASON wrote: »

Sorry, it's one on the M6 (Ballinasloe €1.90) and one on the M4 (€2.90), thus Galway to Dublin via motorway has two tolls

cheers guys! I havent even got to France yet and im having trouble planning my journey!

So limerick option is the best!

Thanks.

cheers guys! I havent even got to France yet and im having trouble planning my journey!

So limerick option is the best!

Thanks.

France LOL.

You think you have issues with planning.

Im going to France in June.

Im going from North Tipp to Dublin to Holyhead to Folkestone in Kent to Calais and down to the South West of France.

There will be no Toll to Dublin and no Toll through until I get to the Dartford Crossing in London(bypassing M6 Toll) which is only £1.50 and when I get to France I will have to pay a total of €42.20 to get to my destination in Tolls. :mad:

France LOL.

You think you have issues with planning.

Im going to France in June.

Im going from North Tipp to Dublin to Holyhead to Folkestone in Kent to Calais and down to the South West of France.

There will be no Toll to Dublin and no Toll through until I get to the Dartford Crossing in London(bypassing M6 Toll) which is only £1.50 and when I get to France I will have to pay a total of €42.20 to get to my destination in Tolls. :mad:

LOL, 42.20 is nothing to what im going to pay! Cherbourg-Bordeaux. Bourdeaux-Marsaille. 2 weeks in corsica/sardinia. Back up to Nice via mainland italy for the Monaco GP. Then back into North Italy, Austria, czech republic and then Germany!

Just filled my car up with petrol (1st time a full tank for a long time) €85!!!

If there was a competition about who would be the poorest after our European jaunt it would be YOU!

• Registered Users Posts: 35 WilliamEgan

Map of all tolls and costs in ireland. Might be of use.

http://infoireland.wordpress.com/2010/04/14/toll-fees-and-locations-in-ireland/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

I would usually have gone Galway -> Ballina/Killaloe crossing Lough Derg and then hit the N7 near Nenagh -> Carlow -> Rosslare, but not anymore. The M6 -> N80 is so much better in road conditions. Avoid Limerick at all costs. Too much traffic.
    To put a little extra in the pot,I do do the run at least twice a week from Claremorris to Rosslare and do travel Claremorris,Ballymoe,Roscommon,Athlone,Kilbeggan,Tullamore and on down the N80 to Enniscorthy and on to Rosslare.Travel time is less than 4hrs usually,thats in an artic.Good luck on your trip.:)

And I forgot to add that there is no toll for that route.

+1 on this one. Nowadays probably the best route for going down that side of the country. From Roscommon and on you'll have pretty good driving roads and you won't see either of the tolls. Even from Galway going through the M6 toll, this stretch now makes the most sense.

/M

Marlow wrote: »
    I would usually have gone Galway -> Ballina/Killaloe crossing Lough Derg and then hit the N7 near Nenagh -> Carlow -> Rosslare, but not anymore. The M6 -> N80 is so much better in road conditions. Avoid Limerick at all costs. Too much traffic.

You lose 10-20 minutes depending on traffic in Killaloe because of the inconsistent amounts of traffic versus the slowness of the traffic lights on the bridge. I live just up the road and have not crossed that bridge in months.

Limerick, well it depends really on what time of the day. People in Limerick would know ways around it but the Tom Tom cannot be programmed with such way points. Its basically taking a shortcut from Sixmilebridge through to Obriensbridge and crossing back onto the N7 at Birdhill, crossing over through Murroe and into Boher which is the Tipperary road and onwards to Rosslare.

Heck the tunnel will be opened by late Summer. Postone your trip altogether.

You lose 10-20 minutes depending on traffic in Killaloe because of the inconsistent amounts of traffic versus the slowness of the traffic lights on the bridge. I live just up the road and have not crossed that bridge in months.

Limerick, well it depends really on what time of the day. People in Limerick would know ways around it but the Tom Tom cannot be programmed with such way points. Its basically taking a shortcut from Sixmilebridge through to Obriensbridge and crossing back onto the N7 at Birdhill, crossing over through Murroe and into Boher which is the Tipperary road and onwards to Rosslare.

Heck the tunnel will be opened by late Summer. Postone your trip altogether.

Going to give the M6/N80 a go!

Better start packing the car, heading off around lunchtime.

• Advertisement

Going to give the M6/N80 a go!

Better start packing the car, heading off around lunchtime.

Enjoy, Im jealous.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,426 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Safe journey and enjoy yourself!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

For some reason on the M6,if I go to the exact change toll booth it charges me for a van instead of a car?

For some reason on the M6,if I go to the exact change toll booth it charges me for a van instead of a car?

Fat B*stard!

They had problems for a while charging even my BMW as a van. If you use a tag, make sure you raise that with your tag company. You can also contact them directly, to fix the mistake on future travels. In general, they're very good to get stuff sorted.

/M

Fat B*stard!
    They had problems for a while charging even my BMW as a van. If you use a tag, make sure you raise that with your tag company. You can also contact them directly, to fix the mistake on future travels. In general, they're very good to get stuff sorted.

/M

I don't use a tag as I only use that route a few times a year.
    What happens is that I go up to the toll,It says 1.90.I put in the cash and then it asks for more.I thought I was going crazy,doesnt happen anyone else I know!

I don't use a tag as I only use that route a few times a year.
    What happens is that I go up to the toll,It says 1.90.I put in the cash and then it asks for more.I thought I was going crazy,doesnt happen anyone else I know!

Take a chat with them. They've had issues with their database. As I said, they charged the Caravelle and the BMW randomly as LGV or car, depending on weather, atmospheric changes, to mood of the bloody computer and god knows what. I've raised it with them and since no problems.

/M

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Nearly thirty years ago, I was driving from Rosslare to Galway, and met a guy on the boat who was going to Galway. We both set off, him going via New Ross, Waterford, Limerick, and I going up through the middle of Ireland.

When I turned right at Oranmore, a car behind me started flashing at me. It was him. So the two journeys took exactly the same time. Of course, the roads are different now.

From Mayo, I would head for Athlone.

Take a chat with them. They've had issues with their database. As I said, they charged the Caravelle and the BMW randomly as LGV or car, depending on weather, atmospheric changes, to mood of the bloody computer and god knows what. I've raised it with them and since no problems.

/M

Sounds like a plan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 WilliamEgan

Enjoy your trip! Had some issue going through m4 toll with short wheel base land cruiser. Most of the time I would get charged €4.30 but the odd time i would get charged 2.90. Try stopped a way back from the barrier and minmise weight on the scales

Advertisement