Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Aromatherapy" for sceptics...

Options
  • 26-04-2010 7:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭

Have you ever gone into boots/nature's way/here's health or some other shop that sells "alternative treatments" to get some massage base oil and and some lavender or something like that and just feel dirty about it?

You walk around the shop and see all the other crap they sell and die a little inside...

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Yea I agree. Now I would hold that scents can and do have an effect on us. A smell can trigger a long forgotten memory, can attract us to a mate, calm us, excite us etc. Shops will even spray scents in the air to makes us more prone to buying in general or buying particular goods, so there could be a clinical use for this as far as mind/scent interactions go. Beyond that I'm very sceptical, especially with the stuff the aromatherapy types push as gospel.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

The most credit I'm willing to give aromatherapy is that nice smelling things make me happy because I like smelling nice things.

It makes me very angry to see some of the tosh that's sold in these shops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Saw 'reflexology' sandals in a shop the other day... It grinded my gears a bit.

I had a read of the back and it said something to the effect that areas of your feet "represent" different body parts, your heart, lungs, etc., and that massaging these areas "encourages positive energy flow to the other body parts" :D

Fookin hell

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Are companies allowed to use terms like "positive energy flow" in descriptions/adverts? It might apply to home heating but I don't see how it can be backed up with regard to shoes. What if you wore them for a while and then returned them claiming that they actually encouraged "negative energy flow" (in the opposite direction if you want to be extra smart about it)? Would you be entitled to a refund under the Supply of Goods and Services Act?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

Are companies allowed to use terms like "positive energy flow" in descriptions/adverts? It might apply to home heating but I don't see how it can be backed up with regard to shoes. What if you wore them for a while and then returned them claiming that they actually encouraged "negative energy flow" (in the opposite direction if you want to be extra smart about it)? Would you be entitled to a refund under the Supply of Goods and Services Act?

Its actually a meaningless term, and not provable either way so I suppose it just doesn't count.

How do you quantify your positive energy flow anyway? Maybe the lighter your wallet is, the more of it you have. Valid claim in that case.;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Ladies and gentlemen, Mr. William Connolly...

NSFW

Advertisement