Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Season 9 Changes

Options
  • 26-04-2010 5:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭

YOUTH ACADEMY CHANGES:
    The youth academy is another part of the manager experience which has been lacking since day one. A simple "all or nothing" investment level is not very much fun. More

First of all, the simple investment level ranging from $5,000 to $50,000 per week is being completely replaced. Here's the new implementation, in 4 areas: scouting, training, assessing, and competing:

Scouting
    To be able to scout new players, you will be required to hire a youth scout. This is the minimum requirement to effectively run a youth academy.

The job of the youth scout is to find talent, and introduce them into your youth squad after you promote current youth players. Every week, the youth scout will earn up to 10 stars depending on their level:

Level 1 = 5 stars per week
    Level 2 = 8 stars per week
    Level 3 = 10 stars per week

These stars will accumulate over time, and will never expire.

Each time a player is promoted, and a new player is scouted, you will need to select a certain amount of stars to attribute to this new scouted player. The more stars you use, the better the chances of a higher quality player.

When scouting, you can use as many stars as you like, but every star above the 10th star will have significantly diminished returns.

As of season 9, all newly scouted players will come in at 16 years old.

Also new in season 9, is that scouted players will have a chance of being from a foreign nation. The more stars used, the higher the chance, up to about 10%.

Training
    To allow your youth players to gain training on Tuesdays (they will always gain in-game training), you will need to hire a youth coach, and construct some youth training facilities. You will then be able to select a weekly youth team training regime the same as you do for your senior team.

There will be 3 levels of coaches, and 3 levels of facilities, with the same attributes as that of the senior facilities.

Youth training will function at a level which makes it worth while to develop a player in the youth academy, rather than promote the player into your senior squad without providing them with individual training.

Assessing
    If you want to gain intelligence on your youth squad, you will need to hire a youth manager. Youth managers reveal skills in two separate steps. The first step reveals a vague skill level, e.g. low (levels 1-5), medium (levels 6-10), and high (levels 11+). The second step reveals the actual skill level.

Each week, a selection of random skills across players in your youth squad will be revealed:

Level 1 = 10 skill steps per week
    Level 2 = 20 skill steps per week
    Level 3 = 30 skill steps per week

Pops will be shown for fully revealed skills for premium members only.

Competing
    The youth league will become meaningful by adding a prize pool of 10% of that of the senior league.

IGT AND WNWIM
    The use of the WNWIM (With next week in mind) intensity has become a problem. As stated in the announcement below, our intention has always been for the "Normal" intensity to be used most of the time. So there are several changes coming in season 9 to fix the abuse of WNWIM, including changes to IGT (In-game training). UPDATED More

A) In-game training will no longer be affected by the level of intensity played. Presently, WNWIM provides extra IGT. As of season 9, the level of intensity is irrelevant and will have no bearing on IGT.

Updated docs:
    Fixtures > Tactics > Intensity

B) In season 9, IGT will be based on the quality of your opponent. The better your opponent, the more training your players will receive. There will be a minimum of 50%, and a maximum of 150% IGT received based on your opponent. Friendlies are exempt to this rule, with 100% IGT going to both sides.

Brand new docs:
    Training > In-game training > How does in-game training work?

C) In-game training will now be logarithmic, as opposed to linear, meaning: IGT will become slower as players get better. We realise this is a big change, but it is necessary, as players in Blackout Rugby are getting better too fast at present. This also eases the newbie gap.

D) The WNWIM player penalty will be increased. Meaning your team will play even worse than at present when playing with next week in mind.

E) The effect that the WNWIM intensity has on contentment will be increased, and the effect of contentment on attendance will also be increased. You will find more info on this in the contentment announcement a bit later.

LTNT EFFECTIVNESS:
    Our intention has always been for "Normal" intensity to be used most of the time, and LTNT and WNWIM (With next week in mind) to be used sparingly, for special occasions. More

As a consequence of the energy changes released at the beginning of season 8, we no longer see the need to reduce the effects of the LTNT (Like there's no tomorrow) intensity each time it is used. The severe energy loss provides a more natural limit to the use of LTNT.

TEAM TRAINING:
    In season 9, team training sessions will have an effect on player energy. More

A) Each session will have a larger effect on energy totalling 100% of the small energy hit to each player in your squad.

Session 1: 10%
    Session 2: 20%
    Session 3: 30%
    Session 4: 40%

B) You will be able to rest your squad for any or all sessions should you wish to, by selecting "Rest" in the session drop-down.

C) You will be able to train the same skill over multiple team-training sessions with diminishing results. Previously you were required to select unique skills for all available sessions.

Energy hits have been added to team training for two reasons.
    1) Average energy levels are still slightly too high across the game. Resulting in very little injuries.
    2) A further improvement to solving the newbie gap. New teams with only two team-training sessions, will only suffer 30% of the already small energy hit, and more established teams suffering bigger hits due to the extra sessions.

CONTENTMENT
    The personalities of club fans in Blackout Rugby have never had much depth. We are completely replacing all of your fans with new improved fans in season 9, and providing more transparency to their contentment too. More

Presently, fans do not know the difference between a final and a normal league match. They do not realise that a round 5 cup win is more important than a round 4 cup win. They think that when their club loses by playing with next week in mind, it is better than losing while playing like there's no tomorrow. They think that when their club wins as the underdog, that it is just another win. In some cases, fans will even become less content after a loss. All of these quirks will be gone in season 9.

Here are the details:

A) The quality of the opposition in a match will now be used to decide if a win was massive, or a loss was shocking. Wins or losses by more than 15 points, or more than 30 points will also have different effects. Home ground advantage is not a factor to your fans, as they're just as happy for you to win at home, as they are for you to win away.

B) Intensity will now have a much more realistic effect. Winning by playing with next week in mind will have little positive effect on contentment, as your fans want to see their team playing real rugby, and not slacking off. Losing when playing with next week in mind will have significant negative effect on contentment, as your fans will be very upset with the impression that their team has given up. Winning while playing like there's no tomorrow will have a largely positive effect on contentment, as their team played their hearts out to win. Losing while playing with next week in mind will have little negative effect on contentment, as fans will be happy that their team gave it their all.

C) Contentment will become a compounding value, constantly and slowly returning towards a neutral level each night. This is in contrast to the current "on-the-fly" recalculations. This will mean fans will always be happier after a win, no matter what the circumstances.

D) Play-off matches will be more important to fans, as well as each consecutive win in the cup season. A loss in the cup will be treated as a normal loss. A loss for a club qualifying to promote will have little negative effect on contentment, as fans will be understanding. A loss for a club defending relegation will have a huge negative effect on contentment, as this is just about the worst thing that can happen to a rugby club in the eyes of the fans. A win for a club defending relegation will have little effect on contentment, as the fans will be more relieved than happy. A win for a club qualifying to promote will have a huge positive effect on contentment, as this is one of the best things that can happen to a club.

E) Finally, contentment will now be shown as a graphical bar, ranging from 0% to 110% accurate to the nearest 1%. This will be displayed in the club's lobby, as well as on the sponsors/members section. Here, premium members will also be able to see a line-graph showing member contentment over the last 10 weeks.

Note: staff effects on contentment will remain unchanged, and friendlies will still be less important than competitive matches.

Also a couple of tweaks to match engine and interest.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭crisco10

Seems like the game just gets deeper!

Can't wait to see how the YA goes, it gives a better chance for us smaller teams to randomly get a gem coming through. But also, requires a little bit of skill and prudent assignment of resources.

Also, the ability to break down team sessions will be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭eoferrall

I like the look of the YA changes also, looks like might save a bit of cash till next season to see what sort of level the facilities cost etc.

Looking good, and also comes at the perfect time. I have a fairly settled first team and the only changes are when I promote a YA player and play him as good prospects for a bit.

So this will be something else to get stuck into now! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

They've covered a good chunk of my wishlist too. I love the idea of being able to keep a player in the academy and monitor his development until he is needed by the senior team. Should really help with managing the bench/reserves.

Dropping the ltnt effectiveness-o-meter is good news for me too. I like the idea of being able to play my reserve team at ltnt to prevent a weaker side looking for an upset.

They've covered a good chunk of my wishlist too. I love the idea of being able to keep a player in the academy and monitor his development until he is needed by the senior team. Should really help with managing the bench/reserves.

Dropping the ltnt effectiveness-o-meter is good news for me too. I like the idea of being able to play my reserve team at ltnt to prevent a weaker side looking for an upset.

Had brushed right over that, this pleases me also. as I effectively do not use LTNT until playoffs as the carnage it causes my team is too much as the energy recovery period from it with training etc is too long. but would use it with reserve players if could.

Boards cup next season could get interesting!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭mar-z

eoferrall wrote: »
    Boards cup next season could get interesting!!

Especially now that igt isn't effected by intensity it could get very interesting. Playing some normal starters would mean wnwim (most likely) while intensity could be upped by someone playing reserves. Also with igt be relative to the relative strengths between the two teams playing, it will be of benefit to play the reserves to get most out of it.

My only worry is with fan contentment, would losing a wnwim friendly mean a big hit in contentment even with the reduced effects on contentment in friendlies. Hopefully not.

• Advertisement

Any idea what the YA changes will mean for those paying 50 grand a week now. I'm not, so it doesn't matter to my team but I had debated it for a while.

Will everyone start of level, which I would say would p**s of those who have been paying money so far or will there be different starting levels for different star acadamies?

mar-z wrote: »
    Any idea what the YA changes will mean for those paying 50 grand a week now. I'm not, so it doesn't matter to my team but I had debated it for a while.

Will everyone start of level, which I would say would p**s of those who have been paying money so far or will there be different starting levels for different star acadamies?

It would have to be different to reflect the current academies...otherwise it would be completely unfair.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭FewFew

Good question Marzipan, good question.

YA aspect sounds like loads of fun!

No LTNT meter means we can all have a good guess at what our opponent will play with based on energy levels.

Boys, this game just got a whooooole more interesting!

crisco10 wrote: »
    It would have to be different to reflect the current academies...otherwise it would be completely unfair.

I agree...but still trying to figure out how they'll do it!

I have no doubt that academy investment will carry over. It was flagged as a must for any academy changes from day one.

• Advertisement

I have no doubt that academy investment will carry over. It was flagged as a must for any academy changes from day one.

But how? will we have a certain level of coaches and facilities already or how?

Edit: from reading the lounge seems like there is a chart that has current investment and the corresponding level in new system. still very interested to see how it goes (and how much money I could have wasted!) ;)

the creators have put up clarification regarding investment and the YA, looks like I am getting Lvl3 of everything!:)
    Blackout wrote:
    As we're sure many of you are wondering... What will happen to my current Youth Academy, and my level of investment when the new Youth Academy replaces the old in season 9? More

Here's how it will work...

At the end of season 8, when your new academy arrives you will receive certain levels of staff and facilities based on the number of stars you had in the old academy.

1 star
    Level 1 youth scout

2 stars
    Level 1 youth scout
    Level 1 youth coach
    Level 1 youth facility

3 stars
    Level 2 youth scout
    Level 1 youth coach
    Level 1 youth facility

4 stars
    Level 2 youth scout
    Level 2 youth coach
    Level 1 youth facility

5 stars
    Level 2 youth scout
    Level 2 youth coach
    Level 2 youth facility

6 stars
    Level 3 youth scout
    Level 2 youth coach
    Level 2 youth facility

7 or 8 stars
    Level 3 youth scout
    Level 3 youth coach
    Level 2 youth facility

9 or 10 stars
    Level 3 youth scout
    Level 3 youth coach
    Level 3 youth facility

All clubs will start without a youth manager.

Roughly how long does it take at 50k to move up a star under the system thats already there?

I think I'd like to give the new YA system a shot and I'm trying to figure out if starting investing now would be at all worthwhile starting investing now to save time advertising and break roughly even from what I spend before the season ends and the adverstising costs for YA setup next season.

So if I start 50k a week now, does anyone have an estimate of what star I'll be my YA will be at changeover (end of season)?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭johnnysmack

So if I start 50k a week now, does anyone have an estimate of what star I'll be my YA will be at changeover (end of season)?

it will move up a star a week so 4 star by end of this season.

Four stars or thereabouts. The bottom line is that upgrading will cost the same, and take the same length of time under the old system or the new. No harm in getting a head start though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭jprender

Four stars or thereabouts. The bottom line is that upgrading will cost the same, and take the same length of time under the old system or the new. No harm in getting a head start though.

I think that the new system takes 10 weeks to reach the top Dave, as opposed to 8 under the current rules.

Not that it affects me but if you have a 10 star or 8 star Academy, you may as well save a couple of k and drop to 9 or 7 star. It appears that it will be the same difference come the changeover!

Not that it affects me but if you have a 10 star or 8 star Academy, you may as well save a couple of k and drop to 9 or 7 star. It appears that it will be the same difference come the changeover!

I actually hadn't thought of that, save 50K in the last week of the season which can go to advertising for new better training facilites!

I actually hadn't thought of that, save 50K in the last week of the season which can go to advertising for new better training facilites!

your welcome. ;)

your welcome. ;)

Double thanks for my rudeness!:p

I presume you lose a star a week? just wondering if I can save more and alternate weeks and still end up with 9/10 stars! :D

• Advertisement

If I remember the DOCS correctly, the number of stars is calculated by:

(Average investment over last 8 weeks)/5000

so If you average is 50000 you get the 10 star.

I think (correct me if I'm wrong) you might be able to swing off of 50k a couple of times and keep your 9/10 star. Whether that would be cheaper than just dropping to 5k in the last week of the season isn't clear. (but solvable if you just bash about on excel)

On instincts, I would say a final week drop would be better. thats a 45k saving. See-sawing for 4 or 5 weeks would do well to save that much I suspect.

If I remember the DOCS correctly, the number of stars is calculated by:

(Average investment over last 8 weeks)/5000

so If you average is 50000 you get the 10 star.

I think (correct me if I'm wrong) you might be able to swing off of 50k a couple of times and keep your 9/10 star. Whether that would be cheaper than just dropping to 5k in the last week of the season isn't clear. (but solvable if you just bash about on excel)

On instincts, I would say a final week drop would be better. thats a 45k saving. See-sawing for 4 or 5 weeks would do well to save that much I suspect.

Sounds like something to fiddle with when home from work! I agree that the best option is dropping in last week. for the reason that if I forget to increase when alternating I could screw myself royally!!:p this shall be investigated later with the help docs and excel.

Edit: looks like the best option is to drop it to 10k in last week. by my calculations 5k drops your average investment to the 8 star level just. so 40k saving i reckon. anyone else done a calculation so they can confirm if I am on track?! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,757 ✭✭✭corny

Sounds like something to fiddle with when home from work! I agree that the best option is dropping in last week. for the reason that if I forget to increase when alternating I could screw myself royally!!:p this shall be investigated later with the help docs and excel.

Edit: looks like the best option is to drop it to 10k in last week. by my calculations 5k drops your average investment to the 8 star level just. so 40k saving i reckon. anyone else done a calculation so they can confirm if I am on track?! :)

Dropping to 5k on the final week would make your average $44,375. Thats closer to 45k (9 stars) that it is to 40k (8 stars). I don't know if thats how it works or if going even slightly below the 45k threshold automatically gives you an 8 star academy but i'm nearly sure at the start season i increased from 5k to 50k and i didn't jump from 8 stars to 10 stars in the final week.

Just realised i'm a miserable bastard! Its only 5 grand in the difference:)

If you drop the academy to nine stars for the last week, won't this affect the quality of the new 16yo recruits when the players age? I know the stars mostly affect the amount of IGT these days, but isn't it still a factor in scouting?

If you drop the academy to nine stars for the last week, won't this affect the quality of the new 16yo recruits when the players age? I know the stars mostly affect the amount of IGT these days, but isn't it still a factor in scouting?

hmmmm hadnt checked how many were 19 in the academy and thus will be kicked out. if it is a good few might have to spend the 40k to maintain standards. but if one or two I may run risk of slightly worse 16yo recruits. few weeks left to figure it all out so no rash decisions!:D

Dave, I had a closer look at this. I posted this on the main BR site also, have a look at the difference. Here is the link to the conversation :-

http://www.blackoutrugby.com/game/global.clubrooms.php#conversation=24406&page=0&z=9967

________________________________________________________________________________

But, for a manager who wants to upgrade the YA from scratch, it'll take ages and cost a load of money to get to the maximum.

A lot more than the 400k and 8 weeks under the current system.

Without breaking the contract of your coach and paying penalties, it will take 32 weeks to get to Level 3 status on everything. Here are the costs associated with getting there.

Advertise Level 2 Scout 50,000
    Advertise Level 3 Scout 100,000
    Advertise Level 2 coach 50,000
    Advertise Level 3 Coach 100,000
    Advertise Level 2 Facility 50,000
    Advertise Level 3 Facility 100,000

Total Advertising costs = 450,000

now during the 32 weeks, here are the salaries that you will pay :-

26 weeks of Level 1 scout (3125 * 26) 81250
    6 weeks of Level 2 scout (5625*6) 33750
    Level 3 scout starting in week 33

16 weeks of Level 1 coach (3125*16) 50000
    16 weeks of Level 2 Coach (5625*16) 90000
    Level 3 Coach to start in week 33

26 weeks of Level 1 Facility (6250*26) 162500
    6 weeks of Level 2 Facility (12500*6) 75000
    Level 3 facility open in week 33

So the total costs of getting the YA to maximum output (without breaking coach's contracts) is

Total = 942,500

How much will it cost if we break the coach's contracts in order to get to a fully functioning YA quicker ?

Same Advertising costs as above 450,000

4 weeks of Level 1 scout (3125*4) 12,500
    6 Weeks of Level 2 Scout (5625*6) 33,750

4 weeks of Level 1 coach (3125*4) 12,500
    Pay remaining contract and 10k penalty
    (3125*12 + 10,000) 47,500
    6 weeks of Level 2 coach (5625*6) 33,750
    Pay remaining contract and 10k penalty
    (5625*10 + 10,000) 66,250

4 weeks maintenance of level 1 facility
    (6250 * 4) 25,000
    6 weeks maintenance of level 2 facility
    (12,500*6) 75,000

So, total cost of having your YA fully operational in 10 weeks is :

TOTAL COST 756,250

It's obviously better to cut the coaches short and pay the penalty as you will have a fully operational YA quicker and cheaper than honouring the 16 week contracts.

But new system costs 756,250 and takes 10 weeks minimum

Old system 400,000 and took 8 weeks

That's a big difference !!

Some good sums there jprender!

Out of interest, obviously to have a top class academy currently costs 50k a week. Does the new system work out the same way?

Just remembered that this time last "year" i had a 8 or 9 star Academy but decided to ditch it. Shame these changes didn't happen last year.

One thing that I would say will be affected is the Silly Season prices on players. Think a lot of people will throw money at the YA at the start of the season..

Some good sums there jprender!

Out of interest, obviously to have a top class academy currently costs 50k a week. Does the new system work out the same way?

It still costs 50k per week once you have it up and running at full capacity.

There is then an option to have a "youth manager" who will reveal a number of skills of the youth players every week. There are 3 levels of manager and these are an extra cost.

One other things for you guys thinking about starting your investments.

If you start right now from scratch, you will be at 5 stars come the end of the season. This entitles you to level 2 everything. You will then be in a position to have your YA fully functional by the end of season 9. total cost of starting right now = 523,750

This is a lot cheaper than waiting until the start of season 9.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭Phonehead

Wow JP, you are almost convincing me to start investing now but then I will not have the cash to buy and train up an U20 player! I am also wondering if with the new changes more people will start investing meaning the wise person would decide to keep his money and buy cheap on a flooded transfer market:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭JohnButler

Exciting times ahead for BR!! Im excited anyway!

Advertisement