Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with Home wiring

Options
  • 26-04-2010 4:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I have a problem at home that I was looking for some help with. The problem is with the wiring from the box outside the house to the access point in the house. The Internet connection keeps dropping every 5/10 minutes. We have spent ages back and forth with vodafone and we eventually narrowed it down to that wiring (I dont know who did it - was like that when I moved in). Would anyone on this forum be able to help me? I really dont want to have to pay eircom 150 bills plus whatever on top of that to just connect up some wires and test the signal on each end. If anyone has had experience with this issue or can advise either way, it would be greatly appreciated :)

I have been posting on boards for some time now so I thought I would throw it out on this forum.

Thanks
    Aj

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭FusionNet

What do you need help with. Im a network/telco installer so I can help you in anyway I can.

Now, start the questions!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭ayjayirl

FusionNet wrote: »
    What do you need help with. Im a network/telco installer so I can help you in anyway I can.

Now, start the questions!!!

Ok, thanks for the reply. Basically I need to re-wire from the box in the porch (the eircom line from the hub) to inside the house and put a decent connection in their. Now, I am not a hardware guy, my experience is all in software, so I guess I am asking how much would getting something like that done cost me and could you recommend anyone? I think its a bit steep for a 150 euro call out fee from eircom to put in proper wiring and a connection point that should be in place anyway (surely line rental costs means they should provide this for free, but they dont).

Now the connection point is basically 1 foot away from the porch, so we are not talking about running wires all over the house.There is a splitter linking to another connection point in the front room which is a further 4 foot away.

Now, I am fairly sure that there is little wrong with the actual wires themselves but that the issue is with where thy connect up. The connection point in the hall looks like it came from fisher price and a 3 year old put it in.

Any and all advice welcomed.....

Any ideas guys? The T-internet has been absolutely terrible for me here today.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭swoofer

What you should do is open the box in the hall and look at back of it. It should have 2 wires connected. One solid blue and the other white/blue. The main socket should have the eircom logo on it. Let us know if it has. You should then go outside and find the eircom box and see how many wires are connected and leading into your house. Its usually 4 but you only need 2. note the colours.

The main socket is the key. You need to satisfy yourself that the lead from the box outside runs straight to main socket.. Do that and report back. If it is not an eircom main socket then eircom should provide you with one and the best one is the integrated one ie it combines adsl filter.

Do as asked and report back. I am doing exactly as you want as I write.

gb--

Sorry I thought I had replied to this. A network/telco engineer would normally only cost around 50 euro to fix this for you, especially if it were a quick job.. Id go down that route before getting in one of the interesting characters from Eircom..!!

• Advertisement

GBCULLEN wrote: »
    What you should do is open the box in the hall and look at back of it. It should have 2 wires connected. One solid blue and the other white/blue. The main socket should have the eircom logo on it. Let us know if it has. You should then go outside and find the eircom box and see how many wires are connected and leading into your house. Its usually 4 but you only need 2. note the colours.

The main socket is the key. You need to satisfy yourself that the lead from the box outside runs straight to main socket.. Do that and report back. If it is not an eircom main socket then eircom should provide you with one and the best one is the integrated one ie it combines adsl filter.

Do as asked and report back. I am doing exactly as you want as I write.

gb--

Thanks again. I went out to have a proper look at the setup with your advice. I will try to explain with pictures and answer your points as best I can. Fir st point of note, is the colours of the wires are not as you suggested. I suspect that this is not an eircom installation. The first pic shows the mainline wire outside the house
    31272_387984817425_752547425_4114851_3606992_n.jpg

followed by the other side of the outside box

31272_387984797425_752547425_4114848_2235644_n.jpg

Now when it gets into the house the line comes straight in and it not tied into the box in the hall (it seems that is just there for show). The line comes into a splitting point where the wires are just split to go to the points in the kitchen and the front room. Now we only use the one in the front room. Here is the pic.

Wire coming into the house
    31272_387984807425_752547425_4114850_7565094_n.jpg

Followed by the splitting situation
    31272_387984822425_752547425_4114852_6209423_n.jpg

Here is the picture of the box in the hall - note, the wires are not connected to this box at all.
    31272_387984787425_752547425_4114847_4003305_n.jpg

I just read the previous post regarding a 50 euro call out to get it fixed. I am all for that - especially if I have shed some light on the issue with the pictures but 150 bill just to call out from eircom isn't.....

Can you suggest anyone that would or is it a case of finding someone in the local directory? I live in Celbridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

That whole set up is a mess, your dropped connection is more than likly coming from cross talk between the jumble in the lines.

I would be sure you could get a techie for less than 150 euros, too fix the problem.

Too be honest, I would put money on that been an eircom installation. The line into the house(black cable), I had problems with that cable before and eircom came out and replaced it for free.

I dunno, but theres something up with that 150€ call out charge to fix there cable, it's not yours it theres.

I would first try to get the fix what ever part of the cable is within the house, then ask for a speed test on the line. If the line is then not up too speed demand that the line outside the house be replaced as it's out of your control.

Hope this helps.

that is a total shambles and those plastic connectors are eircoms. you should print those off and post them to eircom cs or higher, say you are concerned and that they look unsafe and dangerous to such an extent you are considering cancelling the line completely.

you can do a few things yourself to makes things better tell you more later.

gb--

Those plastic connectors are called Jelly Crimps and they are what all technicians in the telco industry use. It looks like an eircom pull to the door but thats a cheap and nasty RJ11 termination box not an Eircom one. I second the other suggestions, if your not a techie, spend the 60 odd euro to get a pro in. Id be able to re-wire that in about 30 minutes including new cable and testing so Im sure if I can there are plenty in your area that can..!

I dont know how far your BB router is from the main internal point or how you are plugging into the pc. I assume there is a scoket with an adsl type connector one for bb and one for phone.

To test your line you need to join those 2 wires outside ie get rid of plate and twist wires together but keep them separate by colour and not touching. No need for that plate. copper does not corrode so cables should be fine.

then at the main point in house take off all that jumble of cables and join 2 wires that lead to your computer end. Keep colours same, you dont want to cross over wires. Now you have one lead all the way to computer. Plug in cable that goes either to router or pc, leave off the telephone connection for now. Connect to BB and see what results. You should be pleasantly surprised.

By the way you can fix these cables yourself for free!!

If unsure post back and show a few pics of the socket you use for pc and say if you have a router and make/model. the router will give you line stats and from that you can read off what line is capable of.

By the way you dont need the filter for the BB so you can plug in direct even better for getting a reading.

all the wiring looks ancient sockets etc. sockets are cheap but getting one continuous line from main external eircom point is the aim ie have the main internl eircom socket with no joins next to pc, then if you want extensions run them from there.

ok

gb--

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

FusionNet wrote: »
    Those plastic connectors are called Jelly Crimps and they are what all technicians in the telco industry use. It looks like an eircom pull to the door but thats a cheap and nasty RJ11 termination box not an Eircom one. I second the other suggestions, if your not a techie, spend the 60 odd euro to get a pro in. Id be able to re-wire that in about 30 minutes including new cable and testing so Im sure if I can there are plenty in your area that can..!

Hey, I live with the OP.

When you say pro, who exactly are we looking for? I know this might sound stupid but for example what'd be good search terms for the net.

I have zero problem paying with it to be done well, I just don't know who what we're looking for :D

I know what you mean. Basically you need to spot an eircom van, those small ones and ask nicely or give eircom an earful but as like me you are stymied with vodafone. However threaten vodafone with cancellation should do the trick.

The work that needs doing is very very minor.

I had a "pro" do my electrical work including telephone wiring and it was c---p. so much for "pro".

gb--

A pro is a company who provide data network installing or telco systems. Do I presume your based in Dublin? Cause if your in a city you'll have great choice.

Regarding another point brought up there and I should have said it myself. Its very imprtant the distance from the socket to the router. In other words, its ok if the eircom external connector is 50 metres away from the main Eircom socket, but its not ok if you have the socket 50m away from the router.. Does that make sence?

If your based anywhere near Munster I may be able to help ye out..

the op is in Cellbridge and I think thats in Kildare.

gb--

GBCULLEN wrote: »
    the op is in Cellbridge and I think thats in Kildare.

gb--

Hey guys, thanks for all the replies. I have tried to call a few places to get someone out but they just tell me that thats not what they do. I do live in Celbridge, but its only a few miles from Dublin - can anyone suggest someone to some company to contact. I need to get it sorted, this is getting to a point where at different times it is going down every 2/3 minutes.

Advertisement