Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Blizzard GMs

Options
  • 26-04-2010 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭

Sorry to break from the normal content here but I wondered if I could get some feedback from the GM's based in Cork regarding a particular situation regarding server imbalance.

The guild I'm an officer of is currently considered PCM as a solution to our recruitment woes. We've been on our PvP server since it's founding and currently (according to WCR) we're looking at a faction imbalance of roughly 350:7500. This has been a growing problem since the end of vanilla and has been critical since about half way through TBC. Our guild is one of the three remaining 25 man Alliance guilds and we have roughly 75-100 accounts who play regularly (about 35 of which are raiders). We're also the 'leaders' in progression on Alliance side, being on LK on normal 25 and doing heroics in 10, the other two guilds haven't gotten Putricide down as of yet. We're currently cancelling 2/4 of our weekly raids due to lack of raiders.

My question is this - at what point does Blizzard consider a server to be a dead duck and either decommission it or convert it to PvE? The reason I ask is that if we're near the 'break point' for that type of decision then our guild members could save themselves a lot of money (multiple char transfers) and we could avoid losing old, non-raider, members by waiting it out until the FCM comes. If not, then knowing that would assist us in making a decision that will ultimately cost thousands of euro in fees.

If any of you can shed some light on this we'd appreciate it as we're very reluctant to push costs like this on our members but we're also unsure that, with the bleed of members off server due to raid cancellations, we can continue as a 25 man raiding guild much longer on our current realm.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ivan

No one working for Blizzard in Cork or elsewhere would dare post here. The risk of losing your job for admiting you work for Blizzard, or at the very least the abuse/spam/questions you'd receive wouldn't be worth it.

For what it's worth, I highly doubt Blizzard really cares about your particular guild and while they may offer FCMs some time in the future, I really wouldn't have your guild base it's decisions on the possibility.

I would say that rerolling or PCM is your best option. It happens all the time, I'm afraid.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,181 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Ivan wrote: »
    No one working for Blizzard in Cork or elsewhere would dare post here. The risk of losing your job for admiting you work for Blizzard, or at the very list the abuse/spam/questions you'd receive wouldn't be worth it.

For what it's worth, I highly doubt Blizzard really cares about your particular guild and while they may offer FCMs some time in the future, I really wouldn't have your guild base it's decisions on the possibility.

I would say that rerolling or PCM is your best option. It happens all the time, I'm afraid.
    yeah this is spot on
    GM's can play Wow on a 'sort of dont ask dont tell basis' (...er I'm not saying they're gay or anything), i.e. if it gets out that they play on their own chars on server they have to mothball the toon or move server.Even if they did they not going to know or be able to tell you that kind of info,
    I know that my old server Mazrigos had a worse ratio than your server there and it was left as pretty much a horde server for about 2 years before they finally converted it to PVE. You could try and petition on the realm forums for it , but I wouldn't hold your breath , I'd say PCM is probably the most realistic option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭StinkyMunkey

Server imbalance sure does suck, pretty much the same on my server (bloodfeather). Horde now have free rain, tad annoying when SW or IF has a resident horde pop or you have to wait a month for ally to win WG by sheer luck. Nothing worse than waiting for the AH npc's to respawn, or being ganked on your lvl 25 alt after doing a bg cause your PvP flagged for five mins after leaving it.

I never knew exactly what a PvP sever was, when i followed a few gaming buds from a different game to join them on Bloodfeather. And ive no inkling to pay Blizzard more money to join a different server or leave the server i joined in 06.

Mind you doing WG with 175k hp cause of the tenacity buff, can be quiet amusing. But its fubared if they all stick together, 50 or more on 10 or less ally never really results in anything much for ally.

Do many servers suffer from this horde to ally ratio? or are there servers out there where ally actually rule the roost?

Dont know any GM's, but id imagine its not their call to make, and that the dev's are the ones who decide what happens to a certain server.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭][cEMAN**

PvP or not though, you'd have to look at the ratio of people who participate in world pvp vs those who don't. Plenty of people on PvP servers who cba with it.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

Tiz the same on Jaedenar, alliance are hugely outnumbered by the horde and its VERY rare the horde lose wg.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

I've always had more PvP action on PVE servers than PvP servers, whatever the reason why I dunno. Even played as Alliance on Magtheridon at one stage and yet still only had a few PvP fights :(

What I had resigned myself too at one stage was putting the AFK flag on me and left myself running into a tree/wall in a contested area, making it just look as if I was AFK so Alliance would try get an easy kill. Didn't always work mind, especially when a fagadin just stunned and then more or less one shot you but sure, at least it got some pvp action going.

The state of PvP in Wow is bloody terrible though and as for the BattleGrounds, well, 75% to 90% are afk leeching so it's pretty much pointless and just ends up frustrating you more than anything else.

Server population makes very little difference, nor faction balance/imbalance - if you want pvp you really have to just go looking for it as there are no incentives there at all at the moment for players to pvp.

I dunno how they can change it either really but putting some top class and achievable incentives in the game for world based pvp would at least help.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,893 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Whats really pissed me off recently is the AFKs in BGs. It used to be that they got knocked offline when they were reported - and now nothing. Waste of space.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

i can tell you from personal experience that the gms in ireland are treated like mushrooms

so even if they could tell you and keep their job they wouldnt know anything of interest

Advertisement