Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Network Connection dropping

Options
  • 26-04-2010 2:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭

Hi Lads,

I have a network with for terminals connected via ethernet cables. We all use a particular program but on two of the terminals it seems to have error messages that are network related. I rang the customer support and they told me that the network connection is dropping that it could be a loose cable or a network error.

I have checked the cables they are fitted correctly all brand new.

is there some way to find out if there is a connection issue?

thanks guys

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭jamesd

Get the cable tested by a network engineer or else get a cable tester and test it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭funk-you

Moved to Nets & Comms.

-Funk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭FusionNet

Boom,

When you say it wired properly can you describe for me how its done in detail??? I can try and guide you through testing it then..

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Boom Boom

Hi Fusion

Sorry for the late reply thanks for your help

Desktop connected to ethernet socket
    Socket runs to SMC Router
    Smc Router connected to netopia router
    netopia router connected to server

hope this makes sense to you

thanks again for all your help

Howdy,

Can you confirm for me that one of the routers has its DHCP function switched off and that both routers are on the same IP range but have different IPS themselves?

Cheers,

• Advertisement

Hiya Fusion net,

How would i do that is it a simple process?

Sorry i'm obviously not as experienced as I thought I was :o

Thats ok thats what boards is for to spread the knowledge.

See you have an SMC router and a Netopia router (going on what you say) and both those units if set up in default mode may be trying to give your computers an IP address. When 2 try to do it you get intermittent connectivity. So the solution.

Firstly you need to find out the IPs of both. The netopia is probably on 192.168.1.254 and the SMC is probably on 192.168.1.1. Try and log into both of them and see can you access the menus. You access these by opening IE explorer and typing those numbers in the www part of the tab.!

You can also find out what IP address you have by going into start menu and going to command promt. In there type in ipconfig and press enter, that will tell you your IP details.

Can you double check that the SMC is actually a router and not a standard switch?

Once you have these things done report back and we'll take you to step two...

Hi Eoghan,

I have PM'd you some details. Again not sure if posting them publicly would give secure information. If not then we can certainly bring it back to this thread

Again many thanks for you help on this

Boom boom

got that thanks,

Can you tell me was that ipconfig off just one PC? cause if it is I might have an idea.

Hi Eoghan

Yes the ipconfig was off my workstation

thanks
    boom

• Advertisement

Hiya,

Can you tell me a few things. Firstly why are you running a wireless connection and a wired on the same PC? secondly, is there only one wireless router in the office or are you running wifi on the netopia and the SMC?

Hi Eoghan

Can you tell me a few things. Firstly why are you running a wireless connection and a wired on the same PC? - I have no idea but i can disable the wireless

secondly, is there only one wireless router in the office or are you running wifi on the netopia and the SMC? both are wireless routers but as far as I know the netopia provides wifi

Thanks
    Boom Boom

ya Id disable the wirelass and try that for a few hours. In theory it shouldnt effect it but as Im not on your site its hard to know the set up. But multiple connections have caused us problems before as your wireless may jump to the stronglest signal meaning your dns may change depending on how the other router is set up.

Advertisement