Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Signing on for tax credits post-redundancy

Options
  • 26-04-2010 2:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Hi

I was made redundant at the end of July 2008 due to changes in the organization of my former employer. When I was let go, I had just over six years working with that company, in addition to a year immediately before that with another employer.

As I had a few months notice before being made redundant, I had some time to decide what to do next, and chose to return to study. The course that I've being undertaking would not qualify for any Training Course tax credits (e.g. for some FAS or Cert courses), and operates on a full-time, self-study basis. My course is scheduled to finish in 3 months time. At that point if I am not able to find a job, I was planning to claim the dole.

Unfortunately, I did not register as being unemployed when I initially lost my job, since, as I was studying and living from my own means, I did not think that I needed to. I understand that I should have done this to preserve tax credits and social benefits such as insurance and pension rights.

I am planning to get myself to the local social welfare office ASAP to sign on, but before I do so, can anyone give any generic advice on
    ====
    1) What, if any, benefits or entitlements I may have lost out on so far?
    2) Is there a point in time after being let go and not signing on, that your credits & entitlements expire?
    3) Are there any questions or any specific information that I should have ready when I go to sign on so that I don't cause myself problems in the process?
    4) What, if any, problems could I have if I try to claim the dole after my course ends, since I did not sign on when I was initially made redundant?

If anyone has any info on this I would really appreciate it.

Thanks for any help

Advertisement