Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tully sale

Options
  • 26-04-2010 1:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi everyone,
    I'm abit of a newbie at this stuff, just saw the page on the tully bull sale on the journal, wondering if anyone is going to it or what ye'd think of it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭capslock88

I'l probably head there for a look alrite....it seems to have been pretty heavily advertised on the journal..over 100 bulls...the usual mix of about 25 lim, sim, char and then a few angus, hereford and bb aswel as a few minority breeds...I know alot of people would be sceptical of tully bulls- being soft and overdone etc, but just wondering how beneficial would people view the figures/test results and high health status stuff when they're buying a bull..?..personally i think it's no harm(gives you an idea of growth rate etc and linear score while the health is fairly important) but i still wudn't buy a bull with great figures if i didn't like the look of him...was checking out the catalogue there and the linear scoring indices are pretty well illustrated...you can really pick out a bull that's big, thick, long and has good muscle while also seeing the ones that are narrow, small etc...it'd be fierce useful for somebody trying to strengthen a particular trait within their herd...suppose with prices a bit back this year that they'l be affordable enough??Anyone else thinking of going?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭wiggy123

might head up--see how things are a monday!
    are they the best bulls? i think they can be overdone--be soft! maybe i'm wrong!
    love to hear from bulls sold from there before--how they preformed/progency performed since...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Indubitable

wiggy123 wrote: »
    might head up--see how things are a monday!
    are they the best bulls? i think they can be overdone--be soft! maybe i'm wrong!
    love to hear from bulls sold from there before--how they preformed/progency performed since...

The best bulls are the ones how bring a perfect calf every time

too true...
    if you can get say! 20 weaned calves from say 20 cows..thats good going a good bull

we bought a 14mth old bull there a few years ago, just sold him last year...he had very good figures and in fairness he didn't disappoint us either...he was well fleshed alrite after coming out of tully but still we had no problems with him..he prob served 25-30cows straight away and got on fine...he seemed to hold the condition while bulling and then about a month later he lost the flesh abit...they put them on a reduced diet on the last 3weeks prior to the sale i think to bring them back to the real world..we were very happy with him overall couldn't really fault him...would be very positive towards tully bulls since...

• Advertisement

any one go to tully? any reports on prices??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Heard a rumour that 2 limos went mad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

mad prices or crazy?

see from farmers journal, a few good prices were had

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Not knocking Tully or anything but Tully is there to performance test Bulls for traits like Weight gain, feed conversion, muscle depth etc. The info is then fed into the database at ICBF along with all the other info that is collected through the Suckler Scheme, Marts, Factories etc.
    Maybe I'm wrong but I think that the breed societies push certain bulls into Tully where little is known about their breed lines. They may be new breed lines from France etc.
    Unless you have a very big herd, maybe split between Spring And autumn, I think for the ordinary farmer looking for value, you might do better in the ordinary breed society sales.

• Advertisement

i'd agree..but then again--whole idea of tully, is that its were the elite bulls are for sale..
    meant to be the best of each breed across the board-whether we agree or not...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

whelan1 wrote: »
    mad prices or crazy?
    i was there for an hour and top limousin made 7200 but middle of the road limousins were harder sold saw one sold for 1000 and nothing wrong with him either, if i'd a trailer with me he'd be coming home!! at that money you couldn't go wrong, for the vendor don't know how with fees paid etc could afford to let him go for that:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Bitten & Hisses

I'm astounded that there isn't a minimum hammer price well in excess of €1000 for those bulls.

I was there til the end of the limousins but had to head away then...ya there was top money for the top bulls but not much trede for some of the lesser bulls...i thought the limousins overall were class, they were all tied in a marquee together and they were as balanced as you'd see...you'd just barely be able to pick the best one...the charolais and simmentals looked pretty good aswel...
    There seemed to be less buying for traditional breeds...only 1 hereford and a few angus sold...the breed societies (especially hereford)don't seem to be pushing tully as much as the continental societies as a place for the top breeders to send bulls and as a place for breeders to buy a bull...
    One interesting thing i saw was that the tully test results didn't seem to matter too much to buyers...i saw one limousin who made something like 3500, with an average daily liveweight gain(ADG) of 1.6, i'd say the lowest there...didn't make a difference if the pedigree was alrite and the bull looked well...ADG(growth rate) is the main indice from Tully so just seemed a bit of a paradox to me...

Advertisement