Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Diamond Way Buddhism

Options
  • 26-04-2010 1:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

I'd appreciate receiving input on your experiences of or views on 'diamond way buddhism' (karma kagyu lineage) in Ireland.

I've been mediating on and off on my own for a number of years. I recently noticed that, near me (a rural location), a new diamond way buddhist group is establishing itself. I went along to a talk, which proved quite interesting, despite my general lack of enthusiasm for the Tibetan forms of buddhism (I have very great difficulties with the notion of rebirth, which seems to be a major component of Tibetan buddhism!).

However, I've since googled diamond way buddhism and was somewhat perturbed by what I found, namely, ongoing disagreements internationally about the validity of the lineage of the 17th karmapa and the significant involvement of a Danish 'lama' whose apparent behaviour with female members of the group is less than edifying. There are even some claims of 'cultism' made against diamond way buddhism.

I'd like to join a buddhist group, for companionship in meditation practice, etc., but I don't want to involve myself in a potentially unsavoury grouping. However, there are no other buddhist groups within reasonable commuting distance of me at the moment.

Does anyone have any experiences or advice in relation to diamond way buddhism? Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Dhamma wrote: »
    I'd appreciate receiving input on your experiences of or views on 'diamond way buddhism' (karma kagyu lineage) in Ireland.

I've been mediating on and off on my own for a number of years. I recently noticed that, near me (a rural location), a new diamond way buddhist group is establishing itself. I went along to a talk, which proved quite interesting, despite my general lack of enthusiasm for the Tibetan forms of buddhism (I have very great difficulties with the notion of rebirth, which seems to be a major component of Tibetan buddhism!).
    It's big enough in mahayana and theravada both IIRC, I think Zen doesn't place too much emphasis on it but I don't recall. What's your difficulty with the notion, the whole thing? I think if you get into buddhism as the religion that comes with most of it.

I'd like to join a buddhist group, for companionship in meditation practice, etc., but I don't want to involve myself in a potentially unsavoury grouping. However, there are no other buddhist groups within reasonable commuting distance of me at the moment.

Does anyone have any experiences or advice in relation to diamond way buddhism? Thanks for your help.
    While I don't know about the diamond way, I have to also say I've had trouble finding a buddhist group in dublin as I'm wary of these watered-down "western buddhism" groups :confused:
    It seems a bit dodgy even from http://diamondwaycult.blogspot.com/2008/08/diamond-way-cult.html
    Good luck on the hunt though :)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 176 ✭✭pkr_ennis

bluewolf wrote: »
    While I don't know about the diamond way, I have to also say I've had trouble finding a buddhist group in dublin as I'm wary of these watered-down "western buddhism" groups :confused:

Whats wrong with Rigpa? There's nothing 'watered down' there.

Dhamma, Buddhism is beyond religion, and is basically about self improvement and not too much about re-birth. Also a difficult sangha can actualy help you on the path to self liberation.

Good luck in your search, just make sure the teachings you are recieving are a genuine transmission of the Tibetean teachings (cross reference with some other tibetean stuff).

Search and yee shall find etc. . .

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Dagon

I've heard a lot of dodgy things about Diamond way. Seems like there is a lot of cult-like activity going on there.

You should give this a shot and steer clear of the organised religions:
    http://www.ie.dhamma.org/

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭gnu

pkr_ennis wrote: »
    Whats wrong with Rigpa?
    http://dialogueireland.wordpress.com/2009/04/07/briefing-document-on-sogyal-rinpoche/

I just posted a link to this site regarding FWBO (The Dublin Buddhst Centre) on another thrad so it must seem like I have an agenda. I'll just reiterate that I honestly don't other than sharing information I have read while trying to find a Buddhist group in Dublin that "fits" me and lives up to my ethical expectations. I can't vouch for the information in the article but it seems genuine to me and I haven't been able to find anything contradicting it and I have searched a lot. It made me really sad and even more cautious than I already was.

So my search goes on ...

Advertisement