Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ms word///.. grrrrrrrrr!!!

Options
  • 26-04-2010 1:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭

mods, not sure if this is the right place...

Hi guys

I am trying to get a thesis done and stupid word, I often find that when im formatting paragrpahs and keeping the line space at ca 1.2, I end up with blatant gaps in the structure like in the pic.

how can I correct this? I highlighted an area, clear formatting, select a new font, shift it to the right to spread it out, and select a line space.

but its still all uneven.

anyone?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭FarmerGreen

Try the 'show formatting character' button, looks like a backwards P
    Note the difference between 'enter' and 'shift+enter' characters.
    Try View>Print layout as well.

You could 'save as text' to get rid of any hidden formatting.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Hmm.

It could be partly caused by widow/orphan control (with that on, Word will move new paragraphs to the next page to avoid splitting them in two), paragraph formatting only being applied to individual sections if you have section breaks or excess paragraph return (which seems to be the case with the top of the second page). Additionally if you're formatting it paragraph by paragraph, your line spacing might not be applied to the carriage returns in between those paragraphs.

Or other things I haven't thought of. FarmerGreen's suggestion on revealing the paragraph marks is excellent and should help you see where the problem is.

I like to format everything "from this point forward" from the start, moving iteratively through the document as I go, but then I rarely have to work with long documents. You may be far better off setting styles and then applying them to the paragraphs; if you're doing it section by section manually, the whole thing can end up as a formatting mess.

Advertisement