Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

should we go?

Options
  • 26-04-2010 10:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

this might sound a bit crazy but i am so unsure of what to do,

story is i was made unemployed recently and my partner is in college, the three of us (our child) live together in an apartment while we wait for social housing, we get rent allowence (recently granted) and i get unemployment benefit with two dependants for my partner and child,

we have been offered by a family member to come with them on a two week holiday in the summer, it is a once in a lifetime oppertunity for me and as we never could afford to go abroad (i never have been able to afford to go abroad before) all we'd need is to save spending money.

the problem is i feel awful about it, im on benefits and going (potentially) on a sun holiday i feel like im commiting fraud even though i know we'd never survive without the benefits i know we could realistically save spending money. what do i do? :(

i feel awful about the situation and i don't know should we go or not?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Go, you're not defrauding anyone if you're being given something for free. It'd be one thing if you were earning money on the side and not declaring it, or going on holidays a few times a year and spending your benefits on that, but just because you're unemployed doesnt mean you have to stay indoors every day. You may have to inform the social welfare that you'll be out of the country for you benefit collection days for the two weeks but thats it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

GO!!!!! And enjoy yourself :) You have absolutely no reason to feel guilty about it. You've worked hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

thanks for the replies,

i forgot to mention i have informed the welfare of the potential holiday and we were told all our payments will be stopped for the two weeks we are gone and we'll get them back when we come back and thats fine with us, and i am hoping to be working by then anyway,

i just cannot shake this feeling that because we are on welfare its wrong to go abroad on holiday:(

s

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Cheap Thrills!

Hey GO !!

What harm are you doing to anyone?

None whatsoever, go and enjoy yourself!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

i forgot to mention i have informed the welfare of the potential holiday and we were told all our payments will be stopped for the two weeks we are gone and we'll get them back when we come back

If they don't have an issue with it - then neither should you :)
    Go on go enjoy yourself - the change will do you some good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,253 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

i forgot to mention i have informed the welfare of the potential holiday and we were told all our payments will be stopped for the two weeks we are gone and we'll get them back when we come back and thats fine with us, and i am hoping to be working by then anyway,

i just cannot shake this feeling that because we are on welfare its wrong to go abroad on holiday:(

s

Fair play to you for even thinking about it, but you should definitely go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭elbee

Of course you should go! And enjoy every second of it. You're not doing anything wrong.

I would be delighted to think my taxes were going to help someone as honest as you through a rough time. And I hope you do have a job by then :)

Advertisement