Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

00 Primera alarm problem

Options
  • 26-04-2010 9:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,
    I'm having an annoying problem with my primera. Over the last few days the alarm has been going off every few hours. I can switch it off by pressing the unlock button on my fob, but the lock button is broken (and I don't fancy paying the stupid prices that dealers charge for replacement keys). So it means that to lock the car, I need to go out to it (Which is great fun at 3am).

I don't really care if the car is alarmed or not, I just want it to be locked. Is there any way I can just disable the thing completely? (At the moment it switches on itself when I engage the central locking)

I have no idea what brand it is, it was in the car when I got it. The fob is nissan branded, with "NATS" on the other side.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Genius147

Disconnect the wiring to the alarm sounder first. Then undo the two bolts on the side of the unit. Turn it over, remove two screws from the base. Pull it apart,you will see a battery pack. This is the back up for the alarm. Replace this battery,maplin is a good place to go for this type of battery pack. inspect the circuit board for anything that looks odd.if you see green mould on any pins or on any part of the circuit it would be easiest to replace the whole sounder box.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,401 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

open the key, it's usually the rubber bit over the button or a little metal clip on the circuit board that wears out or bends, a little bit of folded up card and sticking the clip on again usually does the trick

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

Whatever was causing the issue is draining my battery anyway. The car starts with jump leads but even after driving it around for a bit or leaving it idle, the battery will be dead again within an few hours of turning it off.

A jumpstart followed by a trip to the mechanic tomorrow I think =(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,269 ✭✭✭alias no.9

If it is one like this then AFAIK any similar Nissan NATS keyfob can be reprogrammed for your car. If you can pick one up from a scrap yard or ebay, I can PM you the instructions for reprogramming it.

oeb wrote: »
    Whatever was causing the issue is draining my battery anyway. The car starts with jump leads but even after driving it around for a bit or leaving it idle, the battery will be dead again within an few hours of turning it off.

A jumpstart followed by a trip to the mechanic tomorrow I think =(

Maybe your car battery is just knackered, a dieing battery can trigger the alarm on some cars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 Genius147

Your alternator might not be charging the battery, this is not a big deal for a car your age. With the new scrapage scheme there will be plenty of primeras in breaker yards.any joy with your alarm problem?

Genius147 wrote: »
    Your alternator might not be charging the battery, this is not a big deal for a car your age. With the new scrapage scheme there will be plenty of primeras in breaker yards.any joy with your alarm problem?

Thanks for all the advice everyone.

It's been sitting dead in the driveway since Monday, gonna jumpstart it this evening and head down to Killarney. My mechanic is down there (And I need to get home for the weekend anyway =))

alias no.9 wrote: »
    If it is one like this then AFAIK any similar Nissan NATS keyfob can be reprogrammed for your car. If you can pick one up from a scrap yard or ebay, I can PM you the instructions for reprogramming it.

It's exactly like this one

oeb wrote: »
    It's exactly like this one

Not certain about programming those ones.

As it turns out it was the alternator alright. My mechanic managed to get a second hand one so it was not to hard on the pocket either. Cheers for the advice guys.

• Advertisement
Advertisement