Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landcruiser Colorado/Prado

Options
  • 26-04-2010 8:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I looking out for a Landcruiser, the last of the 90 series shape. As far as I know the D4D engine was introduced to the Irish/UK version around 2002. What I'm trying to find out is when the D4D was introduced on the Japanese version.

I want to get an auto and most of the Jap ones are auto, but I also want the newer engine. And the Jap ones have much higher spec, with factory air/con climate control, EL backlight dash, etc...

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Prado never came with D4D, only 1 KZTE.
    The 90 series only got the D4D in the Euro model.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

So it was only introduced to japland in the 120 series then?

So it was only introduced to japland in the 120 series then?
    Dat's Right!

• Registered Users Posts: 73,439 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Even some 120 series in other markets still use the non D-4D engines. doesn't sound like such a bad idea now ;)

True Colm, plenty of reports of issues with the d4d in the 120. Haven't heard of issues with the d4d in the Irish/UK 90 though.

I have 1KZT in my current surf and had the 1KZTE in my last surf. Never had issues with either.

So maybe a Jap 90, with the non d4d would be a good idea?

• Advertisement

True Colm, plenty of reports of issues with the d4d in the 120. Haven't heard of issues with the d4d in the Irish/UK 90 though.

I have 1KZT in my current surf and had the 1KZTE in my last surf. Never had issues with either.

So maybe a Jap 90, with the non d4d would be a good idea?
    A nice Prado would be good, what about that ****e Limited slip Diff they have though?
    You never had any issues with the Autobox leaking into the Rad?
    Thats about the biggest one that affects 90 series Automatics.
    And the cracked head 1KZTE is usually on Autos as well funnily enough.
    although I saw my temp gauge on my 90 SWB start moving,I replaced the Rad and never had any more bother.
    Plus the Prado has an Intercooler which gives quite a bit more grunt.

I've had KZN185 surfs for seven years now, and never had any issues other that replacing exhaust, pads and the like. No engine or box trouble, thank God.

I suppose the low tech non common rail diesel would be a better choice for longevity.

CJ, do the Prados not have a switch activated locking diff? Thought the LSD was only on some of the spec Surfs (non fulltime 4wd).

I'm getting approx 26 - 28 mpg in the Surf. Whats the Landcruiser going to be like?

Cheers

CJ, do the Prados not have a switch activated locking diff? Thought the LSD was only on some of the spec Surfs (non fulltime 4wd).

I'm getting approx 26 - 28 mpg in the Surf. Whats the Landcruiser going to be like?
    Cheers
    The Prados have an LSD I think it is 16/84 split though, They are generally knackered at 50k though.
    The UK spec 90 series have switch activated locking rear diffs which if working are very good offroad.
    We got neither:(
    I get around 27-29 in my 90 SWB manual, which isn't bad for fulltime 4wd.

I'll be buying an auto, so probably will be a bit less for mpg.
    The specs are all over the place eh? My perfect combination doesn't seem to exist :p

Advertisement