Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Science Jobs

Options
  • 25-04-2010 10:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm looking for a job in the Science field, i have a double honours degree in experimental physics and Biology from NUIM, maynooth.

I haven't a clue where to begin looking for a job i've looked on all the normal websites online etc and all of them seem to be looking with people with 2-3 years experience.

I graduated in 2007 and was working in small jobs but i wan to get into any biology orientated job.

Any suggestions on the best way to get into it. even if i could work some sort of job to get the experience so that employees would even consider my CV.

Thanks for your Help
    Gamby

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

Have a look on our company blog here. I've written a few posts will hopefully be of assistance. It's certainly tough out there, but there are a few things you can do to highlight your skills over your peers.

Let me know what you think :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭thirtythirty

gamby wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm looking for a job in the Science field, i have a double honours degree in experimental physics and Biology from NUIM, maynooth.

I haven't a clue where to begin looking for a job i've looked on all the normal websites online etc and all of them seem to be looking with people with 2-3 years experience.

I graduated in 2007 and was working in small jobs but i wan to get into any biology orientated job.

Any suggestions on the best way to get into it. even if i could work some sort of job to get the experience so that employees would even consider my CV.

Thanks for your Help
    Gamby

Lol i can't believe your course gave you no ideas - surely you studied advances in your field and real world applications etc??

I'm sure there'd be loads of jobs in the Health and Pharma industry - everyday there's news of advancement in skin regrowth, artificial sight, replacement hearts etc etc. All the bleeding edge research stuff including production and rollout throughout the industry. That's not necessarily in Ireland though...

Also, you're degree doesn't denote what you have to go into. It's more a measure of what way you're inclined. I'm sure INTEL et al would read your CV with appreciation..

edit: also, ignore 2-3 years experience stuff. That's just a lot of companies saying that they don't have a dedicated graduate program. Final year projects etc. are enough 'experience' if you show your interest and dedication in a good interview!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

edit: also, ignore 2-3 years experience stuff. That's just a lot of companies saying that they don't have a dedicated graduate program. Final year projects etc. are enough 'experience' if you show your interest and dedication in a good interview!

I've avoided applying to jobs looking for this level of experience (somewhat disappointedly as I wished they'd give someone like me a chance- research graduate).

Could i ask you to elaborate on this? Are you sure like?! Its worth a try applying is what your saying?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭thirtythirty

SeaFields wrote: »
    I've avoided applying to jobs looking for this level of experience (somewhat disappointedly as I wished they'd give someone like me a chance- research graduate).

Could i ask you to elaborate on this? Are you sure like?! Its worth a try applying is what your saying?

Well as doctor pepper would say "whats the worst that could happen"!? My advice would be able to take a proactive approach and do up a cover letter briefly talking about anything relevant you did in your course (real-world practical if possible) that could be seen as giving you 'experience'. A lot of those "2 years experience" ads are really just putting up a sign to stop every fresh-faced diploma wielding joker applying, and if they're offering a job then they'll consider anyone with any sort of clout or intelligence. 2-3 years experience is feckin nothing in the work world, and you'll be getting trained in from scratch to that job whether you have 2 years work experience or not. Follow up with a phone call etc.

Give some time to thinking about industries and/or companies that might have divisons or areas related to your expertise. There's nothing stopping you from calling companies/organisations and inquiring about places for someone in your field. Maybe you'll get referred to someone you should contact, maybe you wont. Does it matter? It can be pretty loosly connected too - you can even pitch your degree as a "Science degree". I did computer science and am now 1 1/2 years in a business world that only has 'connections' to ICT, having had no previous experience of any sort in industry work.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭gamby

Thanks for all the advice guys, really appreciate it..... suppose getting more active and getting in contact with people is the best advice im taking from this so far ;)

I had a look at your site Brian, it is quite interesting and has some good information and tips on it there, Thanks.

Anymore advice is much appreciated.
    Good to get some positive information.

Thanks
    Bren

• Advertisement
Advertisement