Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weed and feed

Options
  • 25-04-2010 12:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for advice regarding suitable products in the lawn weed and feed range. We have the usual range of weeds that are kept in check by the lawn mower but we have alot of clover that seems to compete directly with the grass.

Is there a general weed and feed that will tackle clover or do i need a specific product. Also, are all these products spread by hand or mechanical spreader or can any of them be spread by knapsack sprayer.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Leo Demidov

Rather than start a new thread, I'll ask a related question here. I've been considering putting sand down on the lawns and spiking the ground to aid drainage etc. What sort of device should i be looking for to do this. Is there a spiked roller, and if so can they be hired?

Many thanks.

Please and thank you!!!!!!!!!!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,099 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

wexfjord wrote: »
    Please and thank you!!!!!!!!!!!:)

Hi there. Im no expert but Ive seen aerators around for such a job. You can even buy them as shoes which have long spikes on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

Liquid lawn feed and to be applied to the lawn more frequently than the slow release granuales. However the granuales are much dearer.

We got Hygeia (Made in Oranmore Galway) Lawn Feed Weed and Mosskiller for €22.99 to cover 450 m2 in local Topline stores http://www.topline.ie/storelocator.php

We saw evergreen brands for €34.99 depending on size and some up to €45 euro

Take a look at http://www.garden.ie/howtogrow.aspx?id=331

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Hi there. Im no expert but Ive seen aerators around for such a job. You can even buy them as shoes which have long spikes on them.

i was going to get a pair of those, until i saw this on youtube and read the comments

i think a good'ol garden fork is the way to go

• Advertisement

Cheers for that lads/ladies.

The hygeia looks like a prospect, I'm not convinced about the coverage etc regarding the granules. at least there's a good chance of getting full coverage with a liquid.

I'm going to keep an eye out for a spiked roller but will give the garden fork an outing in the meantime, more labour intensive but probably a better job.

I hope its all worth it.

Advertisement