Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike to Belfast Charity Cycle Challenge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭alcyst

Anybody done this previously some experience would be appreciated.

The website says bikes "may be transported back to Dublin after the event", that sounds useful, any details on how it is handled?
    The route will be finalised closer to the day, there are lots of ways to get to Belfast, easy or painful, any guidance on which category this event will be? What was the previous route?
    And if I book, and miss, the 3pm bus, do I have to walk or will the 8pm make space??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 mikelouw

alcyst wrote: »
    Anybody done this previously some experience would be appreciated.

The website says bikes "may be transported back to Dublin after the event", that sounds useful, any details on how it is handled?
    The route will be finalised closer to the day, there are lots of ways to get to Belfast, easy or painful, any guidance on which category this event will be? What was the previous route?
    And if I book, and miss, the 3pm bus, do I have to walk or will the 8pm make space??

Hi alcyst. Bikes will be transported back by truck. Re your other questions: please e-mail info@bike2belfast.com, as I don't know the answers myself, although I think the route will be reasonably painless because the aim is to attract as many cyclists as possible, not just the pro's!

One of the admin people was handing out the info card at the start of our club run on Saturday. These people are organised!

Reading from the bike2belfast website;

"It is recommended by the Gardaí that you ride in single file. The organisers urge you not to ride two abreast."

Aside from being impractical, is that bad/incorrect advice from the organisers and Gardai? Some of the roads could well make that appropriate, but that would likely be the exception?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 gilliandoyle

Hi alcyst,

We're in the process of finalising the route around Newry this week, that is the only part left to be sorted so we will be publishing the full route later this week.

When choosing the route we tried to find the least hilly route - I was kindof thinking of myself in this 'cos I'm taking part and am not so fond of hills!!! :)

In relation to your query on the bus return. We ask that you try to be as accurate as possible with your estimated time of arrival in Belfast. And if you're not sure, go for the later bus. We will keep a few spots spare in the 8pm bus for those planned to finish at 3pm but due to bike trouble or other unforceen events they missed the 3pm slot. We would be in trouble however, if all our 3pm folks needed to come back at 8pm!!

The bikes will be transported to Dublin on Saturday evening after the last rider has made it and will be available for collection on Sunday. Full details of collection times and location will be included in the final details pack, sent to all riders before the event.

Hope that's all the questions answered, post if I've missed anything.

Gillian

• Advertisement

Small *bump* (it's for charity :-))

*bumpity*

Last bump, promise.
    Still time to register for this charity event on www.bike2belfast.com.

Well, it's now the Sunday after the challenge. All went well and everyone who took part arrived safely at the finish (albeit at different times....) thanks to marshals and support teams provided by Rotary Clubs along the route, who generously gave of their weekend time to help us raise money for our charities. Thanks also to the Order of Malta who worked voluntarily to provide ambulance support. A special thanks to the Dublin Central B2B committee who worked very hard on the planning and logistics for the ride. Finally, thanks to those brave riders who stayed on in Belfast for a few drinks and some food at Jury's Inn. Exhausted eyes were often at half mast by late evening, but still managed to provide some great craic!

I've put up a few pictures from the challenge on Facebook and on my website here: Bike2Belfast Photos
    The website has larger images than Facebook and you can also order prints through it. Each rider is entitled to 1 free print in A4 size.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭notuslimited

Despite the conditions I have to say it was really enjoyable. 70 miles in the wind and rain from DCU to Newry was no joke but after awhile you just had to laugh. Thankfully it let up for the last 30 odd miles. As was stated - well organised and lots of fun. Was one of the few who stayed overnight. Nice couple of pints in Jurys, then onto The Crown, only to return to Jurys for one final night cap. Hit the hay at around 01:40 - for a well earned rest. Here's to next years event - perhaps my idea of a Las Vegas challenge will be a runner!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement